RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Wheelset suggestions for IF Club Racer

Friends:

Bit of a novice on wheel sets. Working on a custom Independent Fabrication Club Racer bike build and looking for a classic silver rim/hub/spoke wheelset to use that will match silver group set, seatpost, stem, etc., rather than Ksyrium Elite wheels I plan to use.

Plan on riding and using the bike for everything - mostly flat terrain, some hills, some wet roads in the winter. I live in Seattle, put a lot more miles on my bike in the warmer seasons.
    I weigh 175.

Any suggestions on a wheelset in the $600-1200 range? Do I need to go custom?
    Should I go big with some Chris King hubs, etc?

One idea I have is White industries rims with Velocity hubs:
    http://www.perfectwheels.net/white.html
    Suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Online Wheel Builder
    With regards to this build, I think that the hub choice is a good one. The Whites are reasonably priced, and they seem to be just as durable as the Kings. With regards to the rims, maybe take a look at the Xr270s from Kinlin. They would be slightly more aero than the Velocitys which may correlate to more stability and predictability on the flats. They are slightly heavier, but I think this added weight wouldn't make much of a difference.
    I think the spoke count on that may be a bit high as well. You could get away with a 20/28 no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    thanks Zen Cyclery.

For a pr-built wheelsets with a classic look - silver rims, hubs, spokes, etc. does Shimano offer a viable option that you'd recommend - Ultegra, Dura etc. or would I just be better off sticking with Mavic Ksyrium Elites?

Thanks again.

Online Wheel Builder
    I have only built on a few pairs of Shimano so I really can't speak for them. The Mavics on the other hand I did used to work with quite a bit in my LBS days. Overall, they are durable but they tend to dry out a bit and need more maintenance than what seems necessary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A couple of ideas for you

Factory builds: Shimano RS80-24, Fulcrum Racing 1; they are both clinchers, aluminum silverish spokes, black/silver rims, decent wheelsets w/o the unnecessary marketing gizmos.

Custom builds: Chris King hubs are top shelf quality at a significant price premium for lighter weight and durability. WI are also high up on the quality scale and so it's Alchemy. Personally, I do favor the Kings. A more sensible choice, performance vs. cost wise, are the Ultegra hubs. They are heavier than any of the previous three but you could buy the entire Ultegra set for less than the front hub cost of any of the premium hubs. No frills hubs and they do what is being asked of them day after day; they are open type so they may need lubing more often than the others.

Rim choices you have quite a few. Choices include DT RR465(I think it comes in silver), Velocity A23, HED C2, Kinlin, BHS c472w. The DT and HE'D have a better finish than the rest and they do cost more.

Spokes; I could use the double butted type. You could do 24f/28r or 28f/32r for a more conservative, more durable build or 32f/32r for a more classic look. Lacing could be x2 front and x3 rear or x3 for the 32/32. If you use the Kings, WIs or Alchemy hubs you could also do radial 24 front and x2 for the rear. Personally I prefer the x2/x3 for the look you are going after or even better a 32f/32r laced x3.

The biggest challenge with the custom wheels is to find the builder. The mechanic who works at your local LBS may have built a few wheels but probably he is not a wheel builder so unless you have specific references from people riding on wheels he built it may be prudent to stay away. There are a few builders that are active on this board you may want to talk to. Another choice would be BWW, bicycle wheel warehouse, they offer quite a variety of custom builds at a reasonable cost; check their website. They typically go for the no-frills, more conservative, KISS approach.

Good luck and enjoy your new bike. You did not say if it's Ti or steel.
    Last edited by dcgriz; 09-02-2012 at 09:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, this is phenomenal info. Thanks so much fellas.

1. I plan on going with a steel rather than Ti, as a result of cost , but living in Seattle (rain) I am agonizing over this decision and don't want to wish I had gone with Ti a few years from now.
    I've been fitted and provided a color scheme ( Tahitian Pearl with White pearl jersey panels) and should have a proposal to sign off later this week. Have until then to decide if I can come up with the scratch t o go wi Ti.

2. Also, plan on traditional brakes rather than disc brakes, but agonizing over that one as well!

Thanks again, you guys are awesome, really appreciate it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    If saving on wheels now will get you closer to Ti, go with the less expensive wheels. You can have some Ultegra hubs laced to DT or Mavic rims for a decent price. Unless you find a factory wheelset you love on closeout, you'll save money and get that classic look you're aiming for to boot!