Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

When did racers quit using 36 hole rims?

6K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  kjdhawkhill 
#1 ·
Most bikes from memory, seemed to be sold with 36 holes in the late 70's and early 80's. It appeared to be standard and most top quality hubs available then seemed to be 36 hole. Hardly anybody builds 36 hole wheels these days unless for a Clyde or for touring.

I'll assume racers commonly used 36 spoke wheels back then and wonder why since it is generally considered overkill these days. Were the rims weaker or was it just a tradition that took a while to move beyond?

#2 ·
Rims were more flexy. Anyone who has built wheels with Open Pro's and with a modern rim like Archetype or Pacenti will tell you that there is a considerable difference.

The change was gradual. Even back in the '90's there were Campy wheels with deep section rims and very few spokes.

#3 ·
That's what I call self control. You've been a site member for 8.5 years and this is your first post? :eek:

Back in those days a set of 32/32 were considered wheels for special occasions. The only wheels I road raced on were 36/36, large flange Campagnolo Record, tied & soldered straight gauge spokes & tubulars. Back when I started 36/40 had just gone out of fashion.

#4 ·
It started when "factory wheels" began replacing built wheels - late 80s IIRC. To get some pizazz MAVIC started building 32 spoke (and less) wheels. They were a little lighter (4 fewer spokes) and since they had fewer spokes, MAVIC pitched the idea that they were special. At the same time, MAVIC began advertising their wheel weights without skewers and convinced everyone that they had some special sauce. And of course "the market" swallowed it hook, line, and sinker.

IMO there is nothing wrong with 32 spoke wheels (it's what I ride) but the shift from "hand built" wheels to factory wheels has overall not been a positive thing except for the wheel companies.

#5 ·
the shift from "hand built" wheels to factory wheels has overall not been a positive thing except for the wheel companies.
It must have been a magical moment for mid to higher end bike companies. They didn't have to employ wheelbuilders, they didn't have to stock a boat-load of rims, hubs & spokes and they didn't have to warranty their hand-built wheels. They got George in Inventory to fax Mavic an order for two truckloads of wheelsets, probably at "just in time" timing. Win-win-win for everyone - except lots of end consumers.

Can we name ONE bike company who doesn't use factory pre-builts? Hand built wheelsets are probably limited to one-man framebuilder operations who offer custom spec bikes plus knowledgeable aftermarket wheelset buyers who refuse to accept hype.

#12 ·
I miss those "dark grey anodized" Mavic MA40 rims. There was never a better rim built, IMO. It wasn't the lightest (had to use tubular GEL280s for that! - which are the ones you are thinking of, those or GL330s) but it was light enough and bombproof. I used it for all my regular riding and touring. I recall a shop manager in Missoula looking at my touring bike in 1985 and trying to convince me that "those wheels won't make it across the country" (Nuovo Record 36H hubs, MA40 rims, DT 14G SS spokes). I laughed in his face and pointed out that they already had over 20,000 loaded miles on them.

#13 ·
Mavic SSC in 32 and 28 go for some top dollar still.. especially the green diamond label ones. My vintage bike is using Mavic Module E2 32 hole.. it's kinda a semi rando wheel, but the bike is being built for Eroica Ca.. = dirt roads.

#14 ·
on many of my vintage builds, i go with sun m13ii 700c rims with a 36h rear and 32h front.

that's if i already have the hubs. finding vintage campy record hubs in 32h is difficult. if not, it's 36h for both.

the last set i built up were ofmega 32h, both front and rear. a bit cheaper than campy, and they were nos!

#17 ·
When I started cycling, 18 front and 20 rear with bladed spokes was standard. Now it's going 20 front and 24 rear with a wider rim profile.

For mtb, I remember everyone with 26" wheels...then it shot up to 29" for the dumbest reasons and now they're scaling it back down and currently at 27.5".

#28 ·
I don't know about the history of it all but I built a set of 32/32 Easton R90SL/Ultegra wheels yesterday, with Laser and D-Light spokes. Not only is it one of the prettiest wheel sets I've built, it's more than strong enough for a monster truck to use. Modern hubs have harder, stronger flanges, spokes are better, and rims are way stronger and stiffer than old ones were. Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Window Rim Spoke

#30 ·
I don't know about the history of it all but I built a set of 32/32 Easton R90SL/Ultegra wheels yesterday, with Laser and D-Light spokes. Not only is it one of the prettiest wheel sets I've built, it's more than strong enough for a monster truck to use. Modern hubs have harder, stronger flanges, spokes are better, and rims are way stronger and stiffer than old ones were. View attachment 319032

Proof also that 32 spoke wheels can be as sexy and pick up as many chicks as a 16 spoke radial wheel can. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.