RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

when to replace alloy rim?

I have some wheels with velocity A23 rims, with at least 15-20,000 miles on the front rim, which has never been replaced. I don't use a bike computer so I don't know really how many miles. It is hilly here, I brake a fair amount. How do you know when to replace a rim? I don't have a micrometer, but I could find one.
    Thanks for any comments!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by deadleg View Post
    I have some wheels with velocity A23 rims, with at least 15-20,000 miles on the front rim, which has never been replaced. I don't use a bike computer so I don't know really how many miles. It is hilly here, I brake a fair amount. How do you know when to replace a rim? I don't have a micrometer, but I could find one.
    No real need for a micrometer. You can basically feel/eyeball how much brake track wear you have. My approach to rim replacement has always been to have a spare rim on hand and then to rebuild the wheel if/when there is a problem with the current rim. Regular inspection of your wheels will tell you if there is any cracking or incipient brake track failure. There is absolutely no way to predict how many miles you will get out of a given rim - WAY too many variables.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Many alloy rims have wear indicator. I don't know if yours do (or did). See if you can see one and if you can't maybe google to see if it came with one so you know if it's gone or was never there to begin with.

If your break track seems overly concave then it's time. What is overly? I don't know, just use your best judgement I guess.

Miles mean nothing. If you ride in the rain a lot, don't clean brake pads much, and brake hard alot you'd have a lot of wear. If you live in Florida (flat and good weather mostly) for example your brake track probably has very little wear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    In case you don't trust your rims:
    Pump 15 PSI more than you do normally.
    If it doesn't fail it's fit for pupose....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    I doubt it. I'd have to think rider weight hitting a pot hole would create more stress than 15 additional PSI.

Or are you suggesting seeing if you can induce failure with too much PSI on when riding. That wouldn't be very bright.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    Trolls taste like chicken.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger