RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

where can Shimano DA 9100 hubs be purchased?

I have not seen any being sold at the the retail channel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I don't think there is a 9100 series hub. Their web site and the distributor web sites have 9000 as the current (I was looking for a set yesterday). I think it's just 9000.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    well that sucks! I was hoping to switch out my rear DT Swiss for the DA hub with the "Sylence" tech. Ok, so next question, who else beside Zipp and Shimano make these "silent" clutch hubs?? Where are all the big hub players?

changingleaf
    Onyx makes a silent hub with sprag clutch.

wheelbuilder
    The current Dura Ace model is very quiet.

The best remedy though is to just keep peddling!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    well that sucks! I was hoping to switch out my rear DT Swiss for the DA hub with the "Sylence" tech.
    Very unlikely that hub will make it into production any time soon, if at all. It wasn't passing Shimano's QC and it's future is now uncertain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Very unlikely that hub will make it into production any time soon, if at all. It wasn't passing Shimano's QC and it's future is now uncertain.
    uhg what? not passing QC at this stage in the game? Did somebody at Shimano fall asleep at the helm? This doesn't sound like Shimano's modus operandi. I'm a little disappointed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    The current Dura Ace model is very quiet.

The best remedy though is to just keep peddling!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Have you had a chance to test their current DA wheels, especially the rear hub? Now I'm confused. Is Shimano having QA issue with the rear DA hub??

Forever a Student
    Have you had a chance to test their current DA wheels, especially the rear hub? Now I'm confused. Is Shimano having QA issue with the rear DA hub??
    I know for a fact that they're selling the old C24 and old C35 rebranded as the new C24 and the new C40. At least they were at the start for a while. This is a serious breach of trust and a serious "mistake" made in several points of their QC chain.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that their hubs are having QC issues. Just based on the bullshit they're pulling with the full wheelsets.

I don't know anything about the quality or availability of the hubs personally, but after the mess with the rims I've lost confidence in the brand for sure.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    well that sucks! I was hoping to switch out my rear DT Swiss for the DA hub with the "Sylence" tech. Ok, so next question, who else beside Zipp and Shimano make these "silent" clutch hubs?? Where are all the big hub players?
    Shimano gave up on those hubs a good while ago. There were not any new hubs mentioned in any of the news that came with the launch of 9100 last summer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo1 View Post
    Shimano gave up on those hubs a good while ago. There were not any new hubs mentioned in any of the news that came with the launch of 9100 last summer.
    That's my understanding as well. Some bike mags were speculating they'd use the based on a shimano patent application but I don't believe shimano ever said they were going to release them.

Not sure what all the hub bub is about here. They had an idea, decided not to use it for whatever reason, and that's about it. As far as I know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I know for a fact that they're selling the old C24 and old C35 rebranded as the new C24 and the new C40. At least they were at the start for a while. This is a serious breach of trust and a serious "mistake" made in several points of their QC chain.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that their hubs are having QC issues. Just based on the bullshit they're pulling with the full wheelsets.

I don't know anything about the quality or availability of the hubs personally, but after the mess with the rims I've lost confidence in the brand for sure.
    hmm I have been google online for any review of the new DA wheelsets, and to date, there isn't much review, at all.

I'm aware that the C24 and C35 clinchers are basically carried over to the new C24 and C40 clinchers (rim widths are the same). But I think their C40 and C60 tubulars are new designs (28mm wide rim) and not carried over from any old tubular rim.

But what I'm really interested in is their rear hub with the Sylence tech. Was thinking about getting that rear hub to replace my rear DT 240 currently laced to my rear Enve 6.7 wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

But what I'm really interested in is their rear hub with the Sylence tech.
    I'm not 100% on this but pretty sure there is no such thing. It was an idea that never happened.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here is an article on the Scylence hubs:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/01/26...next-dura-ace/

In a nutshell, it appears Shimano claimed to have captured the best of both worlds (or the impossible?) - a silent freehub with more than the standard 18 points or engagement. As many of us know, Shimano freehubs are very quiet, but also lack the extra points of engagement you find on more expensive boutique hubs which are quite noisy.

Also worth mentioning is that this design scraps the Ti freehub body for Al for the primary cylinder and steel for the splines.

Sadly, it doesn't look like it made it into production.

On the plus side, the price on the DA 9000 hubs has been slashed, so you can get a great deal. I just built up a wheelset with these and they are quite nice.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    well bummer. Hope Shimano will perfect it in their next groupset release! Guess I'll stick with the DT 240 for now. DT 240 and enve's 70mm deep wheel make for a nice soundbox (loud resonance) unless I pack that DT240 ratchets in a pool of grease. Yeah, packing that much grease causes drag but anything for a quieter hub eh

wheelbuilder
    well bummer. Hope Shimano will perfect it in their next groupset release! Guess I'll stick with the DT 240 for now. DT 240 and enve's 70mm deep wheel make for a nice soundbox (loud resonance) unless I pack that DT240 ratchets in a pool of grease. Yeah, packing that much grease causes drag but anything for a quieter hub eh
    Careful. If you put too much or really thick grease you risk the ratchet rings not fully engaging.