Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

White Industries Hubs?

Thinking of building a custom wheelset with white industries hubs. The H2 and H3 specifically. Has anyone used these and liked them, they look pretty awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    WI Hubs are fantastic. I had them on a set of custom wheels built in 2002 and they are still riding today (just not with me) and probably have over 15000 miles on them. I think I had them serviced once. My wife still has them on a custom set of 650s built in 2003. They probably have 8,000 miles on them and are still going strong. I kind of like the DT Swiss 240s a little more (and I'm hard pressed to say why), but you certainly won't go wrong with WI. I imagine that others will tell you the same.

Online Wheel Builder
    The H2/H3 are a great set of hubs. I have always thought that they easily have the best dollar to quality ratio that you can get. They aren't the lightest ones out there (350 grams) but they sure are some of the most durable. The polished silver that they have is almost as good looking as an Alchemy silver as well. Most importantly (from a mechanics standpoint) they are quite easy to service. Wether your checking bearings or swapping freehub bodies, it is all doable with a basic allen wrench set.

Here is a picture of an H2 that we buit up a while ago. They are subtly understated with just the right amount of flash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Industries Hubs?-img_3174.jpg  

Devoid of all flim-flam

I like them a bunch.

I've had them for about three years. Beautiful to look at. Trouble free. No complaints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Industries Hubs?-time-4-09-003.jpg  
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
    The H2/H3 are a great set of hubs. I have always thought that they easily have the best dollar to quality ratio that you can get. They aren't the lightest ones out there (350 grams) but they sure are some of the most durable. The polished silver that they have is almost as good looking as an Alchemy silver as well. Most importantly (from a mechanics standpoint) they are quite easy to service. Wether your checking bearings or swapping freehub bodies, it is all doable with a basic allen wrench set.

Here is a picture of an H2 that we buit up a while ago. They are subtly understated with just the right amount of flash.
    hey zen. anymore pics of that wheelset ? looks exactly like what ive been looking at

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I'm running a pair of WI hubs that Zen assembled for me and I have nothing to say bad about them, they roll really smooth.

A wheelist
    They're beautiful hubs. I'd consider them the cartridge bearing version of DuraAce. Like DA they have a nice titanium cassette carrier. They are easily serviceable with normal shop tools - unlike King and DT240. With the silver ones you get a new hobby too - polishing them, as they're not anodized and they stain easily but OMG do they look nice when you're done. Everything considered they're probably, arguably, the best hubset going. This set from Zen -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Industries Hubs?-zencyclery-006-sm.jpg  
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewing6283
    hey zen. anymore pics of that wheelset ? looks exactly like what ive been looking at
    LittleWing- Unfortunately, this particular wheelset was just a front wheel build. Below is a picture of the entire wheel though. The weight of just this front is 656 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Industries Hubs?-img_3172.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Two sets here...
    I won't buy anything for hub replacement or new custom wheelset builds...plus, they're made here in the US. The guy who answers the phone at WI might be the same guy who machines them! They are all very hands on and service oriented.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 for the WI lovefest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Love their hubs, I've run various versions on my mountain bikes for years, and still run their crankset on my single speed. Great people to work with, they were at NAHBS and very friendly. I do plan on getting a set of H2/H3 hubs this year.

If Alchemy would drop a twenty on website development and come out to events, I'd consider them, but for now, they seem a little too much like Hadley and could go to vaporwear all too quickly.

wheelbuilder
    Not known for their strength.

-Eric

Online Wheel Builder
    I would love to see WI begin to offer their hubs in more colors. Imagine if you could get WI hubs in colors like Chris Kings...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I like my wheels with the silver WI hubs, all 6 of them, and really don't mind keeping them shiny with my trusty tube of Semichrome polish, but you do wonder why they don't do a silver anodizing since they aready offer them in Black? I would be first in line for a set of Red WI hubs....unless you beat me to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Mmmmm, WI hubs.....

You can see mine from Zen here

Sorry for the multiple clicks; you can get to the wheel gallery on Picasa but just not directly the way I originally posted....

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad
    you do wonder why they don't do a silver anodizing
    I suspect that they dont do a silver ano because if they were to the finish would be much more flat. The shiny finish achieved on those hubs is a function of the naked alloy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Understood and I like the look, my point was that they already do anodizing on their hubs, so why not the silver too? I don't know for sure, but it is probably not as labor intensive as all the polishing they do now.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I recently bought a pair of Katmandus from Zen for an Eddy Merckx frame I was building up (older steel frame). I got the silver WI hubs, spokes and Kinlin rims. They're nice, reasonably light, and in a world of everything_has_to_be_black_and_carbon, they're beautiful to look at. Went with the 2010 Camp Athena group in silver.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad
    Understood and I like the look, my point was that they already do anodizing on their hubs, so why not the silver too? I don't know for sure, but it is probably not as labor intensive as all the polishing they do now.
    Black is easier to do than any other color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Question WI vs. Ultegra or DuraAce

I considering a DA 7900/HED Belgium build. I am looking for alternatives however. Curious as to any of the White Lovers can compare and contract WI to Shimano hubs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57
    You can see mine from Zen here

Sorry for the multiple clicks; you can get to the wheel gallery on Picasa but just not directly the way I originally posted....
    Mind me asking the price of that exact wheelset - that pretty much dead on what I was looking for.

Michael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by grande
    I considering a DA 7900/HED Belgium build. I am looking for alternatives however. Curious as to any of the White Lovers can compare and contract WI to Shimano hubs
    Both of them are excellent hubs. One of the main differences is that Shimano hubs do not use cartridge bearings. White Industries hubs weigh slightly less than Dura-Ace hubs. Dura-Ace hubs include nice skewers.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    +1(000) for both white hubs and zen. ~7k trouble-free miles on this one (and haven't even polished them yet).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Right. So do folks notice the DA (w/ loose bearings) roll better? I'm thinking more feel, performance. I dont log a ton of miles as I'm part time MTB/part time Road

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by grande
    Right. So do folks notice the DA (w/ loose bearings) roll better?
    I have both the DA and the WI and even in the hand there is no appreciable difference. On the road it's impossible to tell.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast