RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Whither Troy Watson and Ligero Wheelworks?

Does anyone have any news about what Troy is doing to revive, re-position or shutter his Ligero wheels business? Or has he simply disappeared?

I ask because his website has been in a placeholder state all winter, promising that big changes are coming. Now it's cycling gear buying season for prospective wheel customers, and still no update.

I have a set of his most recent XR-300 wheels on his v2 hubs and just finished another ride during which I was yet again amazed at how good those wheels are.

wheelbuilder
    All I can say is that you will hear from him again.

poached from Weight Weenies (Madcow)
    "Troy has actually been away inspecting nuclear power plants, though that job is coming to an end shortly. Next month, Troy and his family are packing up and leaving Tennessee for a new location, which I won't yet say.

What I will say is that he'll be moving west and returning to building wheels, but this time for someone else rather than Ligero. The place he is going to will cover warranty on his previous builds and will likely continue to produce and make available his U.S. made hubs.

The goal seems to be to let Troy do what he does best which is designing hubs, and building wheels. He will also have a much wider range of hubs and rims at his disposal from which he can build his custom wheels.

So it seems that you won't be SOL, but it does seem that you may have a bit of a wait until things get sorted."

Madcow is of the reputable Fairwheel Bikes and is to be trusted highly. I've spoken to Troy as well and it will only get better having help with warranty/service/communication.

-Eric

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    That's great news. Troy makes great wheels and hubs, and hopefully he'll land in a situation that allows him to focus 100% on being a wheel designer and builder. Do good Troy!

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks for the Information

Thanks for the update. I guess that's the reason I have not been able to reach Troy via phone or email. He has had my front wheel since January and I was beginning to think that I was going to have to eat it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott
    All I can say is that you will hear from him again.

poached from Weight Weenies (Madcow)
    "Troy has actually been away inspecting nuclear power plants, though that job is coming to an end shortly. Next month, Troy and his family are packing up and leaving Tennessee for a new location, which I won't yet say.
    So he's a nuclear engineer (or other expert) with a new career building bike wheels?

banned
    Oct 2001
    Or for total confirmation, read here:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-bl...employees.html

this is just awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    great news. I have a set of useless wheels that needs waranty work on the hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Is Troy still with Fair Wheel bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Nope. I tried contacting him there due to a failed rear hub from one of his sets and I was told he left last year.
    I have tried contacting him via an old email address I had, but, no luck.

It is too bad because I am ready to build another wheel set and I would like him to build it.

I think he just moved on. Too bad for all f us.
    2014 Cannondale SuperSix HM Evo Team Colors
    2014 Shimano PD-9000 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Rolf Prima ARES4
    Second set of wheels: Rolf Prima Élan Alpha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I talked with him once half a decade ago when he was solo working on his Ligero company, and he told me he worked as a nuclear engineer part of the time. Maybe he went back to that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    I talked with him once half a decade ago when he was solo working on his Ligero company, and he told me he worked as a nuclear engineer part of the time. Maybe he went back to that.
    Yeah, I spoke to him 3-4 years ago and remember him telling me about the nuke thing. Oh well, I thought the Fair Wheel bikes thing sounded like a good opportunity for him, too bad it didn't work out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I had a nice set of enves made by him a year ago while he was at Fairwheel and tried to contact him this Spring and as stated above, Fairwheel said he had moved on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Even without Troy, Fairwheel makes some really nice wheels.
    I wouldn't hesitate for a nano second to buy another set of wheels from FWB.

Steve