RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017

Who makes good 23mm carbon wheels?

Looking to upgrade my Super six Evo to carbo clinchers. But due to chain stay clearance I need 23mm wide rims to run with 23mm wide tires. It seems that everyone has went to 25mm wide rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is stay clearance on the Super six Evo that tight that wider rims really won't fit even with 23mm tires?

I really don't like that so many rim manufacturers state outer width dimensions. It's the INNER width dimension that matters as the tire is usually where the narrowest point on the stays is.

While I like slightly wider rims, I think the trend has gone too far. But here in America, if a little is good, too much is better.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    It's pretty close, my 25mm Schwalbe one's measure 26mm and I probably have another mm of clearance. I'm thinking that a 23mm tire on a 25mm rim would probably measure 26-26.5mm. A review I read showed a Continental GP4k measure 26.89, but they always seem to measure really large.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
    It's pretty close, my 25mm Schwalbe one's measure 26mm and I probably have another mm of clearance. I'm thinking that a 23mm tire on a 25mm rim would probably measure 26-26.5mm. A review I read showed a Continental GP4k measure 26.89, but they always seem to measure really large.
    I think that's an exaggeration. My 28mm tires which measured 28mm on 15mm (internal) rims measured 29mm on 17mm rims and only a teensy bit more on 18mm rims.

What are the INTERNAL dimensions of these 23mm and 25mm rims you mentioned?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Wow. In a new so forgive if I sound ignorant. I went with Derby i23.mm and went with 28 Schwable One. Just visually, I wouldn't try to put a 25 on. I made the decision fornthe i23mm knowing I wanted 28 and 32 size rubber.

If you get a chance I'd love to see how the 25 sits on that wide rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Wow. In a new so forgive if I sound ignorant. I went with Derby i23.mm and went with 28 Schwable One. Just visually, I wouldn't try to put a 25 on. I made the decision fornthe i23mm knowing I wanted 28 and 32 size rubber.

If you get a chance I'd love to see how the 25 sits on that wide rim.
    Apples and oranges. We need to distinguish between rim manufacturers that use INTERNAL width dimensions vs. EXTERNAL width dimensions.

The rims that Lrdchaos is talking about are road rims that have an EXTERNAL width of 23mm and 25mm. I am not sure, but I presume they have an INTERNAL width of 17mm and 19mm?? As I have said before, I really don't know why rim manufacturers use the EXTERNAL width figure. It has no practical use and only serves to confuse the consumer. It is the INTERNAL measurement that will affect the tire width and profile.

The Derby i23 (hint, "i" stands for INTERNAL) has an INTERNAL width of 23mm. This is a mountain bike rim. According to DT Swiss' charts, a 35mm tire is the narrowest tire you should use with a 23mm INTERNAL rim.

Trends seem to go from one extreme to the other. Just a decade ago, Trek sold bikes with their stock Bontrager wheels with a 14mm INTERNAL width. Neither extreme is optimal. You don't want your tire to look like a light bulb, but you don't want it to look like a bell either.
    Last edited by Lombard; 4 Days Ago at 04:48 AM.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    As I have said before, I really don't know why rim manufacturers use the EXTERNAL width figure. It has no practical use and only serves to confuse the consumer.
    If you bought rims that didn't fit in your brakes you'd know why.
    And if you were marketing aerodynamics you'd know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    The 23mm rims I'm looking at have an internal measurement of 17.5mm. The rims that measure 25mm exterior range from 19-21mm internal. I would really like to find a rim that that measures 23-24mm exterior and 17-19mm interior to run a 23mm tire on.

if you google 23mm tire width and go to images you can see the picture of the 23mm continental measuring 26.89 on a Hed Ardennes plus rim. That's why I'm trying to stay below 20mm internal width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    If you bought rims that didn't fit in your brakes you'd know why.
    And if you were marketing aerodynamics you'd know.
    Interesting point. But if my rims were wide enough that they didn't fit between my brakes, neither my rims nor my tires would fit between my chain stays either. Some frames may be different, but I know the way my stays are shaped, the tire is the first contact point. Internal rim width affects the tire width, external rim width does not.

But yes, Marketing Land is a strange place.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
    The 23mm rims I'm looking at have an internal measurement of 17.5mm. The rims that measure 25mm exterior range from 19-21mm internal. I would really like to find a rim that that measures 23-24mm exterior and 17-19mm interior to run a 23mm tire on.

if you google 23mm tire width and go to images you can see the picture of the 23mm continental measuring 26.89 on a Hed Ardennes plus rim. That's why I'm trying to stay below 20mm internal width.
    Actual tire widths vary with tire manufacturer. From what I understand, Continentals run on the high side of what they claim. A 27mm tire will be a tight fit in a SuperSix Evo if it fits at all.

There is no practical reason to run anything wider than a 17mm internal width rim with a 23mm tire. According to DT Swiss' charts, up to a 20mm internal width rim with a 23mm tire is "compatible".

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Interesting point. But if my rims were wide enough that they didn't fit between my brakes, neither my rims nor my tires would fit between my chain stays either. Some frames may be different, but I know the way my stays are shaped, the tire is the first contact point. Internal rim width affects the tire width, external rim width does not.

But yes, Marketing Land is a strange place.
    um, yeah, some frames are different. But probably more on point is that some brakes are different.