RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Wide and Tubeless?

I am looking to try tubeless but also want to go wider. Are there any wide rimes out there that can go tubeless without any conversion kits? I am not sure how I will like tubeless, but I will eventually switch over to wider rims. I weigh between 180-200 lbs depending on time of year and activity.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Do you mean you don't want to use tape or you don't want to use a rubber rimstrip?

Online Wheel Builder
    Putting tape on the rim is an extremely easy process. Go to your local hardware store and buy some Gorilla Tape for $3. That and some valves will setup damn near any rim tubeless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Putting tape on the rim is an extremely easy process. Go to your local hardware store and buy some Gorilla Tape for $3. That and some valves will setup damn near any rim tubeless.
    Yep, tubeless or not I just run gorilla tape for every rim now

Online Wheel Builder
    I hear that clydeone. The rim strip is an extremely over-engineered interface. The simplest solution is always the best one, and it doesn't get much simpler than Gorilla Tape!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    But aren't the beads of tubeless rims different than regular clinchers? I really do not need a tire rolling going downhill. I was thinking some 7900 DA C24s but I am hesitant about proprietary parts. I will probably use WI hubs with regular spokes.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    But aren't the beads of tubeless rims different than regular clinchers? I really do not need a tire rolling going downhill. I was thinking some 7900 DA C24s but I am hesitant about proprietary parts. I will probably use WI hubs with regular spokes.
    Any rim can go tubeless just by adding gorilla tape as these guys have said ot get some stans tape too. Both work. Then you just need a tubeless valve stem which has a ruber washer on to help it seal against the rim.

I did just set up my second set of tubeless rims. These are 23MM wide X 50 MM deep carbon clinchers, had them specially made with no spoke holes on the inside of the rim. Dont even need tape for these. Just bought the tubeless valve stems from stans with some stans valve extenders, and put schwalbe ultremo 23 MM tubeless. Sweet set up with wheels that are 1430 Grams 28/24 and wickedly fast and light.

Nice thing is got them from Farsports for 670 with shipping included. Straight as an arrow and run great, also brake surprisingly well with high temp Basalt brake surface.

I have to say they may not be Enve or Zipps, but I sure paid a whole lot less than $2900 too.

Dont think you can even get the zipps or the enves with no holes on the inside of the rim.

This is my second set of tubless rims and tires and I have now got 2200 miles and have never had a flat, and they run very smooth. I run 80/85 PSI and I weigh 200.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll point out the Gorilla Tape may work well and even perfectly, but it wasn't intended or tested for that purpose by the manufacturer. How long will it remain adhered or withstand the pressure? Will the adhesive creep allowing the tape to move? Will it do hold up and last at the temperature extremes experienced in use and storage? Will it be affected by sealant?

You can do anecdotal testing yourself or buy stuff that was intended and tested for the purpose.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    The Velocity A23 is 23mm wide and tubeless ready. The new HED Belgium + is 25mm wide. The Pacenti SL23 is another 23mm wide tubeless ready rim.

Even thought the Alpha 340 rim is narrower than the others, the tire is still 'fat' when mounted on it. A 23mm tire measures about 25mm wide on it.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: Wide and Tubeless?

Pacenti SL23s measure 24mm (outside width).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I'll point out the Gorilla Tape may work well and even perfectly, but it wasn't intended or tested for that purpose by the manufacturer. How long will it remain adhered or withstand the pressure? Will the adhesive creep allowing the tape to move? Will it do hold up and last at the temperature extremes experienced in use and storage? Will it be affected by sealant?

You can do anecdotal testing yourself or buy stuff that was intended and tested for the purpose.
    It's doubtful that the heat would soften Gorilla Tape's adhesive enough to shift it on the rim. The Gorilla tape and glue are some uber strong products. Furthermore, the pressure shouldn't be an issue, and it would probably be helpful in keeping the tape seated. All that pressure would push it against the rim even more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I think this is all a good start. I appreciate the help. Maybe I will try tubeless on a current wheelset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post

Engineer eh?

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    ...Go to your local hardware store and buy some Gorilla Tape for $3.
    RE: Gorilla Tape

The issue is not about it's application viability for the OP.

Rather, where the hell are you buying a roll for $3.00?!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    If you tape an existing (non-tubeless) rim just be sure to use actual tubeless or tubeless-ready labeled tires or you'll run the risk of blowing the tire off the rim. This would be the case also if you used a tubeless ready rim, but thought it was worth mentioning since you are keen to try out tubeless with existing equipment.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    No, I would definitely use a tubeless tire. The one downside of the tires is cost. They seem to be rather expensive compared to the $40 or so I usually pay for tires. I do want to move toward wider rims and tires though. I think it makes sense for someone at my weight. I started using 28s on a commuter bike and liked it other than the weight. Most 28s are heavy tires, although that seems to be getting better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    Yes, which is why I wouldn't use rims not specifically made for tubeless with tubeless tires. Not a risk I'd take. Sure, people do it though.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.