RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Will Shimano come out with a Scylence rear dura ace road hub

I am about to start some wheels do you think shimano will come through with the goods?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Why don't you call them and ask?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    last I heard was that they canceled or delayed the release (as it was rumored to be released with DA 9100, but it did not). Apparently they had issue with longevity, so probably need a few more tweeks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the idea if silent hubs on the road but prefer some noise on the trails to ward off animals and hikers, of course animals usually aren't wearing ear buds so the point is moot.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I am not worried about the hubs being silent. In fact I like a loud hub. What I am looking for is the almost 100% lockup. I like to be able to put the power down 360 degrees. I like to be still and stand on the cranks with control. I just wonder how the new xtr hub works?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano has always erred on the side of reliability with their product releases. Remember that Shimano is the "sensible shoes" company. Their reputation is for durability and reliability, but they aren't usually known for innovation.

If you want a very good hub with more points of engagement, White Industries makes excellent hubs and they have a very good reputation for durability and reliability. Specifically, I like the fact that they are one of the few high end hubs which use a Ti freehub, not aluminum.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    I am not worried about the hubs being silent. In fact I like a loud hub. What I am looking for is the almost 100% lockup. I like to be able to put the power down 360 degrees. I like to be still and stand on the cranks with control. I just wonder how the new xtr hub works?
    I think Onyx is your only option at this point.

Industry 9's road hub might be the next best thing for a non-disc road hub at 6 degrees.

No clue why anyone would care about this for road riding but whatever.

Your post makes no sense. All hubs have 100% 'lockup'. You can 'put the power down' 360 degrees w/ all hubs. Are you talking about having very little movement of the crank before the hub is engaged and drives?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Your post makes no sense. All hubs have 100% 'lockup'. You can 'put the power down' 360 degrees w/ all hubs. Are you talking about having very little movement of the crank before the hub is engaged and drives?
    Yes that is what I am talking about. I ride around a lot of obstacles and try to do it against the clock and in some instances when pulling up or putting down the power the cranks move more than I like before lockup. Just personal preference.

Yes that is what I am talking about. I ride around a lot of obstacles and try to do it against the clock and in some instances when pulling up or putting down the power the cranks move more than I like before lockup. Just personal preference.
    You 'pull up' while pedaling?

Different hubs have different drive mechanisms, some engage quicker than others. DT can have 18, 36, or 54 tooth drive rings. King is 72. The new Bontrager mtb hubs have 108 points of engagement, you'd like those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    The XTR hub corresponds to about 50 POE.

The DA9200 (or whatever) hub will be a class-leader. Probably 220g or less in 142 spacing, silent, durable, and minimal rolling resistance. If not for the lack of cassettes and 148 spacing, I'd already call the XTR hub one of the best available for road use.

I'd expect the new DA hub to come with Micro Spline. The problems it addresses aren't unique to mountain bikes. The question is if they'll offer a version with an HG freehub or make a clean break with the older standard.

changingleaf
    I recommend the Chris King R45 or Onyx road hub.