HELL ON WHEELS

Is it worth the $$$?

Rolling on a-class sr20's, which weigh 1,906g, was thinking Mavic kysrium elites, however the weight difference is 325g. I was kinda hoping to shave off around 450 grams. anyone think dropping $650 on the mavic's is worth it?

Also open to any suggestions.
    Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    It would probably be best to state what you are trying to do with the wheels. Are you racing? $650 is a lot just to shed some weight.

HELL ON WHEELS
    Durable, light wheels suitable for every day riding/training.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    how much do you weigh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    you're paying for aesthetics, unless you're overweight per wheel spec.

HELL ON WHEELS
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    how much do you weigh?
    263 lbs., i've lost a total of 19 lbs. since I started cycling and eating somewhat healthier, aiming to get back down to 190 lbs.

main reasons for wanting lighter wheels is for faster acceleration, seem like it takes a lot of energy to get the bike up to speed with my current wheels. I'd also like to shed some weight off my 18 lbs. bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex_BMC View Post
    main reasons for wanting lighter wheels is for faster acceleration, seem like it takes a lot of energy to get the bike up to speed with my current wheels. I'd also like to shed some weight off my 18 lbs. bike.
    All that right there, forget it.

Saving some 450g tops at the wheels isn't really doing all that much, especially if they're not so aerodynamic. Also, 18lbs isn't devastatingly heavy.

wheelbuilder
    You lost 8618g and you are worried about 450g?

Ride your current wheels into the ground and then look for better wheels. The Mavics aren't them.

HELL ON WHEELS
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    You lost 8618g and you are worried about 450g?

Ride your current wheels into the ground and then look for better wheels. The Mavics aren't them.
    Touché.

wheelbuilder
    Just thinking about what's best. In the time you take to kill those wheels, save up and you can reward yourself with lots of great choices out there.

Congratulations on the weight loss by the way.

Do what he say!
    , was thinking Mavic kysrium elites,
    The other comments are probably correct in that it won't make much of a difference, but fyi, performance has them on sale for $400

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset 2009 -- Closeout - Performance Sales Exclusions
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

HELL ON WHEELS
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Just thinking about what's best. In the time you take to kill those wheels, save up and you can reward yourself with lots of great choices out there.

Congratulations on the weight loss by the way.
    Thanks

HELL ON WHEELS
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnewb View Post
    The other comments are probably correct in that it won't make much of a difference, but fyi, performance has them on sale for $400

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset 2009 -- Closeout - Performance Sales Exclusions
    I saw that, it seems to be one of those never ending sales.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Congrats on the weight loss.

Just so you know, your legs are rotating mass as well. Keep losing the pounds until you reach your goal. Then when you do, reward yourself with an upgrade.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

On a different mission...
    Don't do it backwards, BigTex. The preferred route is to drop weight off your own frame first, before even thinking about destroying a perfect set of light wheels. Think of new wheels as a "reward" for achieving the weight loss. Pedalin' is hard right now because of your own weight...not the heavy wheels.
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Riding 18/20 spoked wheels at 260lbs is really just asking for a serious failure! You need a good, strong set of wheels that'll keep you on the road. Definitely dont worry about bike or component weight at this point.

You'd be well served with a well built 32/32 or 32/36 spoked wheelset with a decent ~500g rim and strong hubs.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Riding 18/20 spoked wheels at 260lbs is really just asking for a serious failure! You need a good, strong set of wheels that'll keep you on the road. Definitely dont worry about bike or component weight at this point. You'd be well served with a well built 32/32 or 32/36 spoked wheelset with a decent ~500g rim and strong hubs.
    This ^^^ Great advice.

it takes a lot of energy to get the bike up to speed with my current wheels
    It's not the wheels that are causing this.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    I agree with just riding your current set into the ground. I recently bought a much lighter wheel set and, believe me, it's not like you put it on and say - Wow I can really accelerate now! Seriously - I couldn't tell the difference from an acceleration/speed standpoint. Handling is affected, but, whatever, one can get used to anything. If you must - get a cheap set that's 300g lighter than your current one - you can do that for like $300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    For around or under $600 you can have someone build you a 32/32 spoke build wheelset. If you want to buy new pre built wheels go for something like Neuvation or similar places that offer good wheels at low prices compared to the big wheel makers (mavic, easton ,etc.) . At the big wheel builders you are paying for more than the wheel called marketing or fancy stickers. Many of the big wheel makers use the exact same rims (Kinlins or another rim maker) as the small wheel builders. Plus smaller builders use parts you can find in bike shops if you need repairs, not expensive specific parts that only work that wheel from the builders that have to be mailed out which means down time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Riding 18/20 spoked wheels at 260lbs is really just asking for a serious failure! You need a good, strong set of wheels that'll keep you on the road. Definitely dont worry about bike or component weight at this point.

You'd be well served with a well built 32/32 or 32/36 spoked wheelset with a decent ~500g rim and strong hubs.
    This is good advice.

I'll go one step further ... once you get to your target weight, and maintain it (ie 190 lbs) , that would be the time to make a wheel upgrade.

At that point you will definitely have options.

Hubs: DT Swiss, Shimano, White Industries all make nice hubs.

Rims: Any proven 27mm or 30mm rim (Kinlin, HED, Velocity, DT Swiss) in a 28 or 32 hole configuration would be good.

Spokes: Sapim, DT. Go with what the builder recommends for your weight and riding style.

Builder: Go to a couple of bike shops in your area, and see if they have a good wheel builder in house. It's nice to have a wheel trued/repaired without having to pay to ship it to France... ;)

HELL ON WHEELS
    F#ck you guys, when I hit 190 lbs. I'm buying a RaceMachine and going pro... Duh

On a different mission...
    F#ck you guys, when I hit 190 lbs. I'm buying a RaceMachine and going pro... Duh
    That's the spirit!!!
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Go to a couple of bike shops in your area, and see if they have a good wheel builder in house. It's nice to have a wheel trued/repaired without having to pay to ship it to France... ;)

Make sure your wheelbuilder at the local bike shop has built a lot of wheels and not someone who builds a wheel every couple of months. You might want to contact several of the wheelbuilders who regularly contribute to this website for some advice. These guys have built more wheels than most local bike store mechanics could ever imagine.