RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015

Would 36mm deep wheels make my bike less stable than 20mm deep wheels?

I am awaiting a Specialized Diverge Expert 2018. The stock wheels are 700C, with 38mm tires.

I want to replace the wheels with 650B alloy wheels, so that I can put on fatter tires (47mm) to increase stability (the new Diverge can accept 650B wheels and fatter tires).

My choice of wheels are:
    I.
    Boyd Jocassee Gravel 650B, with rim specs:
    24mm internal diameter
    36mm deep

II.
    Easton EA70AX DISC 650B, with rim specs:
    24mm internal diameter
    20mm deep

III.
    Ardennes Plus LT Disc Brake 650b, with rim specs:
    21mm internal diameter
    24.5 mm deep

My preference I think would be the Boyd Jocassee, because those wheels (like Easton) has the wider internal rims; and I've read a wider internal rim makes a better fit for wider tires (47mm).

The Ardennes Plus LT Disc Brake looks good, but its internal rim diameter is only 21mm.

I am hesitating to finally go with the Boyd Jocassee because of its rim depth of 36mm.

Will my bike be less stable (due to crosswinds) on the Boyd Jocassee wheels, compared to the Easton EA70AX, whose rim depth is only 20mm deep?

I could just buy the Easton EA70AX wheels, which also has the wider internal rim diameter of 24mm.
    But I've read about quality issues with Easton wheels; but I don't know if these are true or not.

Thanks for all opinions!

Pooped a refrigerator.
    From a pure physics standpoint, the deeper wheels may be more susceptible to crosswinds, but the rim shape can mitigate this. Will you feel a big difference? I don’t think so.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There are 2 things that define how stable your bike is:

1) The obvious first answer is the geometry. Head tube angle, and fork offset determine trail, this is what makes your bike stable or not.

2) Wheel/tire weight. The heavier they are the more stable your bike will be. Your wheels are big gyros, the more they weigh the more stability you'll have.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by borgey View Post
    Will my bike be less stable (due to crosswinds) on the Boyd Jocassee wheels, compared to the Easton EA70AX, whose rim depth is only 20mm deep?
    Yes. But given the size of tires you are planning to use, the real question is "will the bike be NOTICEABLY less stable" and the answer to that is probably no. As others have noted, there are lot of factors to consider.

Boyd Cycling owner
    I can speak from a lot of personal experience in regards to this as I ride in a lot of situations with 47mm tires on the Jocassees.

The crosswind handling is not going to be affected by going to a slightly deeper rim, however with the size of that tire can catch the wind (no matter what depth or width of rim you are using). This has to do with the large tire when it's on the backside of the rim and you have a lightbulb shape catching crosswinds. The larger tire is great for handling on the gravel terrain.

Now, this is not nearly as bad as riding an older V shaped 60mm rim in heavy crosswinds. It's just something you'll notice when the wind gusts. I ride my gravel bike all over, on paved roads, gravel roads, and old abandoned moonshiner bootleg roads. Even in super windy conditions it's never been anything where I have felt like I couldn't take my hands off the bars and ride (at least when I am on the pavement).
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Not enough depth. You start feeling the winds in the 40mm plus range. I have a 34mm and a 44 mm and I can tell the jerkiness when the crosswind hits is increased with the 44mm. But it is not too bad. Also bear In Mind rider weight. I'm 200lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk