RoadBikeReview Member

WTB Nano TCS black vs tan sidewalls

I noticed WTB Nano TCS is now available in black or tan sidewalls, though most places seem to have the tan in stock. Anyone know if this is purely cosmetic difference or something else involved. I know the tire has had complaints for sidewalls leaking air and feeling thin on the black version which I've had a couple sets of - no information on the web that I can find about the tan sidewall option.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Sorry I can't be of any help. In fact I'd like to expand your question: Of the several tires available in tan or black, is there a difference? I'm thinking of Compass Extralight, Vittoria Corsa G+, and Veloflex Corsa/Master. I get the feeling the black version is just the tan with a thin coating of rubber added to the sidewall, which would have to change the ride characteristics, however slightly. And if the black has an extra layer on the sidewall, seems like it would be less permeable to air and sealant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    SI get the feeling the black version is just the tan with a thin coating of rubber added to the sidewall, which would have to change the ride characteristics, however slightly. And if the black has an extra layer on the sidewall, seems like it would be less permeable to air and sealant.
    Much more likely is that instead of the un-filled rubber coating that gives a "tan" sidewall, black sidewalls are simply rubber compounded with carbon black, just like the tread. All else equal, such a sidewall should be more durable and more resistant to environmental degradation (mostly from UV radiation).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I can't speak for WTB, but the with the compass tires I've run, there is no discernable difference between black and tan sidewalls.

They feel and weigh pretty much the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I sent WTB an email with the question and they replied as pretty much everyone here did or supected- it's just aesthetic, no functional difference. Some people prefer the tan sidewalls so they make them now for that preference.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett