RoadBikeReview Member

Zipp 101's on the way...

Should have some Zipp 101's in a couple days. Looking forward to something new compared to the Ksyrium K10's that I've been riding for the last couple years. I will post the initial impressions once I get them rollin'. I'm suprised not too many people use them. The reviews seem solid; great hubs, strong build, and some aero benifits. They aren't the lightest, but if they spin up well and give some aero qualities when up to speed I'll be happy. I hated the Ksyriums. The aero spokes seemed to have anti aero qualities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Zipp 101's on the way...

I've been very happy with mine. They corner very well and are reasonably stiff for the low spoke count - both due to the increased rim width I'm sure.

One thing to note, you may need to re-adjust your brake cables as even using the barrel adjuster wasn't enough on my bike. The rims are *really* wide at the brake track.

They're pretty spendy compared to similar wheels from other brands. That plus the carbon fad probably explains why you don't hear about more people using 101s. To each their own. I'm happy with my expenditure.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Happy with mine - I picked up a set with a G3 Powertap hub over Christmas on the sales. The braking surface angles in toward the tire so only the lower half of the brake pad hits the surface, but the pad will eventually wear in I'm sure. No adjustment I can see on the Ultegra brakes to compensate for this.
    Trek Domane 6 Ultegra
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I love my pair. They are very durable especially considering the spoke count. They definitely feel lighter than the weight would suggest.

downhill quickly
    May 2007

My short experience...

I remember testing the 101's from my LBS a couple of years ago. I put some fresh Conti GP 4Ks on them for my 2 week use. I had no complaints with taking them up 10%-15% grades at altitude if for the fact that I was on a training ride in a solid spin rate. When competitive and matching attacks on 6-8% grades, I did feel a bit sluggish spinning up albeit there was no lateral slop/very solid feel (note; I'm 6'3" at 77 Kg). I did enjoyed them on competitive down runs of Flagstaff Mtn for example, with great confidence in the breaking tract (and note for a post above...I did get perfect brake pad adjustment/seating with my DA 7900 stoppers on the 101's). For long duration paceline riding along the river beds, I "felt" but did not necessarily "read" advantage over my Ksyrium SL's at the time (or whatever they are calling them today).

I think the 101's are an excellent, good looking wheelset, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. For me and my decision not to purchase the 101's: I happened to like the Ksyrium's a bit more riding uphill...which is the primary competitive riding out here for me...where I needed at my weight and size, if not specific measurable performance, the psychological advantage when trying to explode on that crank at a moments notice to keep pace with the smaller whippets

FWIW, I do currently ride (all shed with the Conti's) Shim 7900 C24's or Zipp FC CC 404's.

Ride safe and well with the 101's. Look forward to your reporting...

RoadBikeReview Member
    First impression on an easy to moderate 25 mile ride; I LIKE! Going from some Ksyrium K10's with Intensive tubeless, I was thinking these would be a bit heavy and not too comfortable. I was wrong on both. My bike weighs the same, actually 30 grams less. The ride with Pro 4 service course 90 front 100 rear felt great, chip seal was still chip seal, but there was no new vibration or anything bad. These things like to spin. Maintaining speed especially over 20 mph seemed easier. On one instance I was cruisin at 18, put a little effort in to get up to 21 and the effort required to maintain that same speed was esentially the same (I'm using a power meter). I know 95% of this is probably my brain, but I swear these are faster. They seem well built, the hubs really want to spin, and the finish is nice. More to follow....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    The 188 hubs are one of the fastest non ceramic bearing hubs on the market. I'm sure if you did a spin test, the zipps will outlast the Mavis's any day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    You can feel drag from the spokes? Really? Really????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post
    You can feel drag from the spokes? Really? Really????
    You can ask anyone who has the Mavic wheels with the wide aero spokes (zircal bladed). It's very noticeable with crosswinds. Living in central west Texas, almost every day has 15+ winds with a lot of days at 25 or so. For an example, it wasn't uncommon for me to get pushed a foot or so with 20 mph crosswinds, the same conditions the last two days resulted in holding a steady line with the Zipps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Happy with mine - I picked up a set with a G3 Powertap hub over Christmas on the sales. The braking surface angles in toward the tire so only the lower half of the brake pad hits the surface, but the pad will eventually wear in I'm sure. No adjustment I can see on the Ultegra brakes to compensate for this.
    The pads have this adjustment via a concave/convex domed washer between the pad holder and the brake arm. While squeezing your brake lever lightly, loosen the 4mm allen bolt and the pad will then be moveable for angle. Just wiggle the pad a bit to get it square with the rim then tighten it down.