RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

Zipp 404 FC Conversion

I have a set of 10 speed 2013 (Black Falcon) Zipp 404 FireCrest that I need to get converted over to 11 speed. I am trying to find the kit online so I can bring it to my LBS, does anyone have a good source for this?

Since I have to do this would it be better to upgrade the hubs on it to Chris Kings or DT's or just stick with the 188's?

I can post a picture of my hubs later today if that would help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Can't help you with the Kit, but I did rebuild a similar set of 404 Firecrests for a friend using WI T11 hubs and CXrays and he is very pleased with them now. Wasn't cheap, but Chris Kings aren't either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmoney528 View Post
    I have a set of 10 speed 2013 (Black Falcon) Zipp 404 FireCrest that I need to get converted over to 11 speed. I am trying to find the kit online so I can bring it to my LBS, does anyone have a good source for this?

Since I have to do this would it be better to upgrade the hubs on it to Chris Kings or DT's or just stick with the 188's?
    I did what you're trying to do, and the conversion kit I ordered wasn't correct despite having carefully researched the hardware online (it required a different size axle...although there was no mention of this anywhere).

My advice to you is to take your wheel to a Zipp dealer and have them do the whole thing including ordering the parts (or them sending your wheel to Zipp for the conversion).

There's no need to change hubs simply to convert from 10s to 11s.

I will admit the hassle of doing this simple changeover helped push me toward changing my hubs to DT Swiss...but the change was a choice rather than a necessity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    I did what you're trying to do, and the conversion kit I ordered wasn't correct despite having carefully researched the hardware online (it required a different size axle...although there was no mention of this anywhere).

My advice to you is to take your wheel to a Zipp dealer and have them do the whole thing including ordering the parts (or them sending your wheel to Zipp for the conversion).

There's no need to change hubs simply to convert from 10s to 11s.
    Thank you, I have done some research and was afraid of the same thing you ran into, ordering parts and them being the wrong parts.

I will just take them into the LBS.

The only reason I mentioned changing hubs was because of paying the price to get them converted, I didnt know if it was around the same price of getting DT's and CK.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    The only reason I mentioned changing hubs was because of paying the price to get them converted, I didnt know if it was around the same price of getting DT's and CK.....
    $200-$300 or so, depending if your LBS does the work or you have to pay shipping to and from Zipp.

Changing hubs will cost you nearly triple that amount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thank you, I have done some research and was afraid of the same thing you ran into, ordering parts and them being the wrong parts.

I will just take them into the LBS.

There's no rule you have to have matching hubs. Front and rear hubs don't look the same anyway. I certainly wouldn't replace front and rear hubs to convert to 11 speed but would just replace the rear if it would be an improvement and not a crazy amount more in price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I am only talking about the rear hub here, no reason for me to replace the front hub for me. I just wanted 11 speed conversion for the zipp wheels for the new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I am only talking about the rear hub here, no reason for me to replace the front hub for me. I just wanted 11 speed conversion for the zipp wheels for the new bike.
    okay, got you. Personally I'd make it simple and use the excuse to get something better and just get a new one. White Industries is another option to consider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    In that case, the cost for a DT Swiss 240 would be around $390 plus spokes and labor. Maybe $475-$500 or so.

Personally, I would not want to run different brand hubs on the front and rear...particularly DT Swiss which have distinctive labeling. It'd anger the Cycling Gods....but that's me.

I think a black Chris King or White Industries hub would clash less with the Zipp front hub.

rooky tour rider

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd send her wheel to Wheelbuilder and have them do it. They do excellent work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I have the 2012 firecrest wheels and those hubs weren't convertible at all... So frustrating. I ended up relacing to 240s with DT Aerolite front and rear. Did it myself​, but the hubs and spokes still cost me around $1,000CAD or roughly $850USD at the time. But, they are awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    another option is to just get an Edco monoblock 11 speed cassette, which fits on a 10 speed hub (it's a single piece). https://www.edco.ch/en/products/components/cassettes

I did this since I had a disc that's not convertible along with some race wheels so ended up being cheaper and works well.