RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Question Zipp 404 or Reynolds DV46T?? Which one is better??

Could someone help me out? I will be using it for triathlon (non-drafting).

which one
    1. is stiffer?
    2. is more durable
    3. is faster on flat?
    4. is faster on hills?
    5. has better hubs
    6. comes with better c.s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I've owned both, but each was about 3 years old - I believe the Zipps are a little stronger now. Nonetheless:
    1. Reynolds
    2. Reynolds
    3. Zipp
    4. About even
    5. Also about even
    6. I've had good experiences with Reynolds c.s. Not sure about Zipp.

They're both nice wheels, though I've noticed the Zipps seem to have higher resale value.
    I'd say if you're a bigger guy, go with Reynolds - they're a bit stiffer and more durable.

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Oh, I should add that the Reynolds SDV66T is also a good choice for Tri.
    A bit heavier than the 404, but deeper and a little stiffer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will second the SDV66 vote. They are only 1350g for the tubular set, which is only 100g more than the 404's. (In reality if you think that 100 grams is really going to hold you back you are crazy. Think about it this way, in the first 5 minutes of riding on a warm day you sweat out at the very least 100g. Unless you feel large performance increases as you drop body weight you really shouldn't worry about 100g) If you are looking at clinchers I think the SDV66's are actually lighter than the 404's.

Also, Reynolds has their crash replacement policy. Pay an extra $200-$300 and they cover you for anything riding related on your wheels. You can go and taco wheels in crits at will!

monkey with flamethrower
    Neither wheelset will be faster than the other, the speed is up to your legs. Wheels won't make hills easier or make you faster on the flats. It's nice to believe the all their marketing but truth be told that wheels won't make you win that Tri or even make you move up a few places.
    The durability is equal. They are both stiff enough that the stiffness doesn't matter. Zipp seems to have better customer service. Zipp hubs had a reputation for poor quality in the past but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Reynolds uses DT 240's, one of the more reputable hubs.
    Chances are, I posted this drunk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Neither wheelset will be faster than the other, the speed is up to your legs. Wheels won't make hills easier or make you faster on the flats. It's nice to believe the all their marketing but truth be told that wheels won't make you win that Tri or even make you move up a few places"

I agree with you that if you can't push the watts to win a TT or triathlon bike leg, no equipment will help. On the other hand it is simply untrue that these wheels will not make you faster. In the recent aerodynamics test done by specialized (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...ed_for_speed08) they state that a good pair of aero wheels can save roughly 10 watts over regular wheels. Considering that the Rovals use Reynolds DV46 rims, you can guess that the SDV66's save between 10-15 watts. According to their charts a savings of roughly 10 watts can increase your speed by between .6 and .7 Kph. That may not be much, but it is faster. Fast enough to make a cat 5 racer into a cat 1 (or even a cat 3)? Certainly not, but it could be the different between 1st and 2nd, or 5th and 6th, or 9th and 10th etc. etc. etc.

kytyree
    I liked my Zipps better than the set of Reynolds I had but I no longer have either of them. Soon I should have a set of Edge 68's though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

From my experiences ...

I have had both 404s and DV46s and the DV46s were much more durable wheels. They both felt the same when rolling although like another poster said, the DT hubs have an excellent reputation so I would rate them slightly higher. For my money, I would buy the Reynolds over the 404s next time especially with the crash replacement warranty available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    +1 for Edge 1.68 built on a DTSwiss 240 hub with areolite spokes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I also think Edge is certainly a good choice here... lighter than Zipp or Reynolds, and choose whatever hubs you wish. An Alchemy ceramic front and a DT190 rear are the smoothest and nearly the lightest you could get.