RoadBikeReview Member

Zipp x58 (404 FC Clincher rim) + Powertap G3 - lacing options (Could vs Should)

I have a Zipp 404 FC rear wheel that I'd like to rebuild with a Powertap G3 hub.

Original Zipp build - 523.5 ERD, 35.5 NDS spacing, 19.5 DS spacing, 47.5 NDS flange diam, 56.5 DS flange diam. The stock wheel is built 2-cross on NDS and radial on DS. This results in 8.0 and 4.8 degree bracing angles respectivley (60% tension ratio).

What I want to do is re-use the rim with a Powertap G3 (38.5/17.4/57/57) and keep the same lacing pattern. This would result in bracing angles of 8.6 and 4.3 respectively (50% tension ratio). The alternative would be to use 2x on both sides which would result in a worse DS bracing angle of 3.9 and a tension ratio of 46%. Given that Zipp recommends an upper tension limit of 100kgf, I would like to preserve as much NDS tension as possible (as well as DS stiffness).

Now, I already contacted Saris/Cycleops about the feasibility of this radial-DS lacing with their hub and they said that although they recommend at least 2x both sides, the DS can be laced radial and they have not seen any issues related to radial lacing the DS.

Has anybody else done this and am I correct in assuming to calculate spoke lengths I first enter the data as if I am building 2x, take the NDS length, then re-enter the data as if I am building 0x and take the DS length?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm, uh... also open to alternative suggestions... I ran 3x/1x through the spokecalc and it looks like that would result in a 51% tension ratio which would be a slight improvement but I would lose some lateral stiffness, though the deep rim would still result in a stiffer setup than a traditional shallow depth.

wheelbuilder
    I've transplanted a PT G3 into that rim before. I just stuck with 2X on both sides. When I personally had a wheel built with 1X heads in on the drive side, I felt the torque flex in really low gears while climbing. You could hear the creaking from the spoke crossing.

If you are concerned with lateral stiffness, use a heavier gauge spoke on the drive side (Sapim Race or DT Competiton).

If you are doing the work be aware that there are nipple washers in the rim. You have to deal with getting them out during disassembly. I used new washers when reassembling.