Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    When my wife turned 40, I got her a new bike. Originally, I picked one that I thought she would like and was ready to buy. At the last moment, I decided to give her a bike picture and let her pick her own. Best decision I've made! We spent three weeks going to every shop in town trying bikes. Spent twice as much as planned, but seven years later she still loves the bike. This year I upgraded the components because she refused to consider a replacement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    It really depends on your wife's taste. Personally, I'm not into it. I prefer more exuberant paint schemes. That said, I would never want a pink bike.

I am in full agreement with our moderator here. I like my bikes to be colorful, but not necessarily what the big bike companies think of as "girly" colors. To me, black is fine for a cocktail dress but I don't want my bike to be black...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would like the black bike, but would want to change out the tape to the purple color that's on the seat. I think that would be enough to make the bike stand out more and not be so monochromatic, imo. Fabulous bike, though!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gormandizer View Post
    So I am about to pull the trigger on a new bike for my wife. The Scott Contessa Solace is the right fit for her, and I want to get the Ultegra build since it is 11 speed and therefore not already obsolete. I am just not sure about the color scheme, which is black on black with some purple accents.
    It's a beautiful bike, but IMO is not exactly feminine. What do you ladies think?
    Sooo...... Did you get her the bike and how did she like it if you did??

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I ride a black on black Pinarello. I like things to be a little edgy with just a hint of feminine. Never the icky pink bikes. I didn't the change colors on the BoB Pina at all, would have been a travesty.

Does this bike fit her? I know you said it was the right 'fit' for her, but that could mean a lot of things. (Upright, responsive, blah blah). Ride quality is important and quite open to interpretation. Did she test it?

If this were me, I'd want to pick out my own bike. And you want her to love it? Yeah. She needs to pick it out.

Having said that, black on black with purple accents is something I'd like. (But, it looks a lot like my bike, which, of course, I chose).
    Last edited by aureliajulia; 07-09-2014 at 08:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

My better halfs Ruby Comp

sadly the Sworks Toupe was a little too much for herů so that has been changed

How tall is she if I may ask? That looks like the smallest frame, with a slammed seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclChyk View Post
    Sooo...... Did you get her the bike and how did she like it if you did??
    Nope. I got a friend to ask her opinion of the bike (as if he was buying it for his wife). Guess what? She hated it! Long story short, the ploy was eventually revealed. It turns out she does want to do test rides etc. So the acquisition has been delayed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gormandizer View Post
    Nope. I got a friend to ask her opinion of the bike (as if he was buying it for his wife). Guess what? She hated it! Long story short, the ploy was eventually revealed. It turns out she does want to do test rides etc. So the acquisition has been delayed.
    It turns out, huh?

Oi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12