Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Black on black? Ladies, your opinions please!

So I am about to pull the trigger on a new bike for my wife. The Scott Contessa Solace is the right fit for her, and I want to get the Ultegra build since it is 11 speed and therefore not already obsolete. I am just not sure about the color scheme, which is black on black with some purple accents.
    See:
    SCOTT Contessa Solace 15 Bike - SCOTT Sports
    It's a beautiful bike, but IMO is not exactly feminine. What do you ladies think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black on black? Ladies, your opinions please!-234182_65590_tif_raw_1.jpg  
    Last edited by the_gormandizer; 11-21-2013 at 02:41 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What does your wife think of it?

I, personally do not like girly colour bikes, but do like a bit of femininity to it. There was a custom bike for the owner of a LBS that had a black bike, but added pink accents to it. It was one of the nicest feminine bikes I have seen. You could do the same with this bike if she wanted more colour.

Black on black? Ladies, your opinions please!-pink-bike.jpg
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't ask her what she thinks of it, because that would ruin the surprise!

The bike actually has some purple accents, not easily visible in the pics. You can see some on the saddle. I'm thinking of getting some custom decals made to add to the accents. For tire choices, I will be sticking to black since we are going the tubeless route with upgraded Ultegra wheels. But I can add purple decals to the rims to accent them.

My wife is not a "girly girl." But she did insist on non-black Sidis since she thought black ones were too masculine. Green is her favorite color, and I seriously considered a Trek Domane Project One with a customized paint scheme. But I think the Solace is a better bike for her. I think she will love the ride (compared to her old aluminum Cannondale) but for the cost of the bike I wanted her to like the way it looks too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gormandizer View Post

The bike actually has some purple accents, not easily visible in the pics. You can see some on the saddle. I'm thinking of getting some custom decals made to add to the accents. For tire choices, I will be sticking to black since we are going the tubeless route with upgraded Ultegra wheels. But I can add purple decals to the rims to accent them.

My wife is not a "girly girl." But she did insist on non-black Sidis since she thought black ones were too masculine. Green is her favorite color, and I seriously considered a Trek Domane Project One with a customized paint scheme. But I think the Solace is a better bike for her. I think she will love the ride (compared to her old aluminum Cannondale) but for the cost of the bike I wanted her to like the way it looks too.
    To me, a bike and the way it looks are personal choices, and I'm not sure I would want anyone picking it out for me. Kind of like being given an item of (visible) clothing that you really hate. At least an ugly gift sweater can usually be returned. Not so sure about a bike.

You would need to be very very sure as to what the giftee would like, which you are obviously not.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

More cowbell!
    I have to laugh at the idea that women would only ride a bike if it looked feminine enough.
    DFL > DNF > DNS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclo-phile View Post
    I have to laugh at the idea that women would only ride a bike if it looked feminine enough.
    This is not the point. She has been quite content to ride an un-inspiring looking Cannondale for 13 years. But if I am spending $3.5k on a new bike for her I want her to love it. I don't want her to love the bike but hate the color.

Still I have to say that the SIDI shoe incident was an eye-opener for me. She is quite frugal. We could have got black ones on closeout, but she held out for the new model titanium colors. I would not have thought that she would only wear cycling shoes that looked feminine....

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm not a girly-girl either and prefer men colour bikes, but prefer women's shoe colours (unless it's like those sweet red ones Salsa-Lover bought Got my ****ty red shoes today).

How picky is she in general? Is there anyway you can ask her a general question about black bikes in a way that she won't suspect anything? That way you know if she says she can't stand them, then this is not a bike for her.

Can you get the LBS to exchange the bike should she not like it?
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member

Still I have to say that the SIDI shoe incident was an eye-opener for me. She is quite frugal. We could have got black ones on closeout, but she held out for the new model titanium colors. I would not have thought that she would only wear cycling shoes that looked feminine....
    She's a woman so this doesn't surprise me in the least. I am as frugal as you can get, but there are some things there are no compromises with. Hubby still doesn't get it even after 30 years of marriage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How picky is she in general? Is there anyway you can ask her a general question about black bikes in a way that she won't suspect anything? That way you know if she says she can't stand them, then this is not a bike for her.

Can you get the LBS to exchange the bike should she not like it?
    Hmm, it's hard to make generalizations abut her pickiness. After 12 years of marriage she still surprises me!

The bike will be a special order of a spanking new 2014 model, so a return is not practical. One option is to have the LBS do a custom paint job. But that would cost an additional $700 plus. I think she is frugal enough to rather have the money than the paint job. But my fall back is that I can get the paint job later if she just hates it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm, it's hard to make generalizations abut her pickiness. After 12 years of marriage she still surprises me!

The bike will be a special order of a spanking new 2014 model, so a return is not practical. One option is to have the LBS do a custom paint job. But that would cost an additional $700 plus. I think she is frugal enough to rather have the money than the paint job. But my fall back is that I can get the paint job later if she just hates it.
    Then I would try to get her general feeling on all black bikes before you make the purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Then I would try to get her general feeling on all black bikes before you make the purchase.
    Hmm, how to do this without giving it away. "Honey, I need to ask you something. Now please don't read anything into my question, but how do you feel about all-black bikes...." She won't suspect a thing!

More cowbell!
    Look at all black bikes in your size and gauge her reaction.
    DFL > DNF > DNS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Or get a cycling magazine (or website) that has pics of black bikes and casually tell her that there seems to be a shift towards black bikes ask what she thinks of them??

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    It really depends on your wife's taste. Personally, I'm not into it. I prefer more exuberant paint schemes. That said, I would never want a pink bike.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    It really depends on your wife's taste. Personally, I'm not into it. I prefer more exuberant paint schemes. That said, I would never want a pink bike.
    Good on ya for wanting to get her a quality bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is it Di2? That is much more important than color. I love the matt mono look, but as a woman, I never want a WSD bike. But I sure would want electronic shifting in a new luxury bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    black bikes look awesome.. My wife has a black ruby comp.. I just put CLX40 wheels on it.. so it's even blacker. Personally it's pretty mean looking.. I like it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Ask a friend to ask her to go bike shipping. Get your friend to ask what she likes cause he's looking at getting his wife a bike... He informs you and off you go.

It's really simple really. If she has no idea on the fact that you're buying her a new bike, then she'll think its nothing.

Yet again, you can just ask her and say your buddy needs some recommendation. What would she pick in that range.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonsina View Post
    Is it Di2? That is much more important than color. I love the matt mono look, but as a woman, I never want a WSD bike. But I sure would want electronic shifting in a new luxury bike.
    A top level grouppo is always sweet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    A top level grouppo is always sweet!
    . Especially when it's a surprise from your hubby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My DH would know better than to buy me something like a bike without me choosing it though, so I personally think buying a bike unseen and untried as a gift for the wife is a real risk. But I don't even like flowers etc. The Di might take the edge off though LOL.

Make America grope again
    Oct 2012
    Forget how the bike looks. How does it feel? Does she like how the ride feels? Thats a very personal thing, bikes that seem perfect on paper don't always ride great in real life.

I think its better to let her pick out the bike.
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recently bought myself a Cannondale CAAD 10 Black, Ultegra groupset w/ Di2 shifting.It's a matte black finish w/ gold lettering. Very simple, understated, not at all feminine and I LOVE it! I think it's great you want to surprise your wife, but I know how important fit and the feel of the bike is and can't imagine it's a good idea to get a bike she hasn't ridden.

But, you asked about the color. I am not at all a "girly girl", so a matte black bike was perfect for me. I bought H2O bottle cages in the same finish and it looks great. The best thing about this bike though is the Di2!!

Black on black? Ladies, your opinions please!-caad10-cropped.jpg
    Don't tell me I'm not supposed to be here, because this is where I am.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

My better halfs Ruby Comp

sadly the Sworks Toupe was a little too much for herů so that has been changed
    Last edited by spdntrxi; 11-27-2013 at 04:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy B. View Post
    I recently bought myself a Cannondale CAAD 10 Black, Ultegra groupset w/ Di2 shifting.It's a matte black finish w/ gold lettering. Very simple, understated, not at all feminine and I LOVE it! I think it's great you want to surprise your wife, but I know how important fit and the feel of the bike is and can't imagine it's a good idea to get a bike she hasn't ridden.

But, you asked about the color. I am not at all a "girly girl", so a matte black bike was perfect for me. I bought H2O bottle cages in the same finish and it looks great. The best thing about this bike though is the Di2!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caad10-cropped.jpg 
Views:	1149 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	289321
    I love the gold on black, makes it very rich and sophisticated looking, but not gaudy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast