RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Cycling shoes...help

Hi there! First time here...I currently wear the Giro Factress cycling shoe. My foot is wide in the footbed and as much I love these shoes I can no longer tolerate the burning toes and hot spots from the ball of my foot forward. I have tried many things including a recent bike fit/clip adjustment, expensive inserts for my high arches, mindful of not pushing down on the the pedal. They start out great but about the 1.5 hour mark, I bet my feet swell in this Texas heat...not fun. As well I use Speedplay light action pedals.
    Anybody have a recommendation on a carbon shoe that may be a wider fit.
    Thanks!!!!!

A wheelist
    I had a similar problem but mine was because of bunions. I needed a wider shoe. I bought a shoe a size too big and inserted an extra insole. This left me with the extra width. I'm on my third year with these shoes and very happy.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Mike. I was actually thinking about looking into a mans cycling shoe. I wear a woman's 40...not sure how the sizing differs. I suppose best to take my new, expensive inserts to the bicycle stores and start trying on shoes.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by anaisabel365 View Post
    Thanks Mike. I was actually thinking about looking into a mans cycling shoe. I wear a woman's 40...not sure how the sizing differs. I suppose best to take my new, expensive inserts to the bicycle stores and start trying on shoes.
    Yes but I'd suggest taking and extra, normal, insole with you too. Place it under your fancy one. Mine, of course, lifted my foot and took up vertical room. The ratcheting retention took up any forward foot movement which left me with the extra width in the ball of the foot area. I did this with both new road and mountain bike shoes. It was an acceptable compromise where custom cycling shoes would have been the only other option.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

haole from the mainland
    Do you use very thin cycling socks? Specialized shoes tend to be wider in the toebox. But I have gotten hot spots with them before when I haven't used thin socks. Ironically, I've never had problems with my Giro Espadas. My pedals are Speedplay X2s, but I don't think they are the problem.

I have high arches, and Sidis don't have enough volume for my foot. With men's shoes the ankle is invariably too big, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Yes I do use thin socks...Sidis were a nightmare for me. Thankful Mellow Johnny's took them back

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    That's right..you mentioned that. Thanks for the reminder. I will take both. I know there is a solution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I don't think my pedals are the issue as well. Hate giving up my Giro Factress! I know they are an excellent shoe. I'll keep them for my shorter rides.

AKA: Sheila Muirenn
    May 2009
    Try Specialized, Lake, Northwave, Shimano.

Sidi makes a special wide shoe, but unless your heels are also that size, they probably won't work.

I like Giro and Mavic, and have average width feet for my length. (But very long feet!).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a fairly wide foot and use both Specialized (womens) & Shimano (mens) with no problems.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.