Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    This has been a very informative thread for me to read. I have the same problem. I've basically been numb in the "lady parts" for going on 4 days post a 10 MILE RIDE!!! So yeah, I've got some adjusting and some learning to do. I did buy a new seat that has a cut out and I'm trying to sit further back because I think I was on the nose a bit too much. Good luck to your wife, I feel her pain! Or rather...I don't feel it, since I'm numb.

untitled
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rva222 View Post
    This has been a very informative thread for me to read. I have the same problem. I've basically been numb in the "lady parts" for going on 4 days post a 10 MILE RIDE!!! So yeah, I've got some adjusting and some learning to do. I did buy a new seat that has a cut out and I'm trying to sit further back because I think I was on the nose a bit too much. Good luck to your wife, I feel her pain! Or rather...I don't feel it, since I'm numb.
    I'm so sorry. Suggest you read "Red90's" advice on the previous page. My guess is that, with any seat you choose, you'll want to be sure your sensitive-nerve-area is positioned above the slot in the seat. . . and leveling the seat (usually canting the front upward and the back downward to at least a level position) may also do wonders.

To the others who suggested she simply needs more time in the saddle, you're also correct. I manage to get out on my bike most days while she tends to ride around 60 miles but on weekends only.

Thanks. Good stuff.

untitled
    Nov 2013
    Well. Jane's new saddle came in.

She'd been riding on a Size 143, Specialized Lithia Gel Body Geometry (lots of words, I know) saddle. And as noted above, she experienced pain and numbness on longer rides. Last week, I ordered her a new saddle - same brand and model - but this time in the 155 size. It seems to have helped tremendously. After this morning's ride I asked, "How's your bottom?" ["Bottom" is Brit-speak for soft female nerve tissue. DB] She thought a moment then exclaimed, "Gosh, I haven't even thought about it - so I guess it's a lot better!" Wonderful news!

The interesting thing is that, without bringing the bike in, we'd noted the problem to the LBS some weeks ago. They had Jane sit on a pad designed to measure her seat bone width. That machine suggested that the 143 size was the appropriate width. They ordered that seat and the next wider size as well, the 155; told her she could try them both and bring back the one that didn't fit.

Well, when we got home I was surprised to see she was ALREADY riding on the 143 size. We called the shop and let them know. I offer this up just as a tip for those of you who have used that tool . . . you may want to opt for the next wider version. DB
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post
    That's interesting. The lettering on the tire says, "Recommended pressure 125 psi." I run hers (and mine) at about 100 front, 110 rear; about 20% below recommended. 80-85 might be a bit more comfortable, but I'd worry about a pinch flat.
    Shux, I'm 185lbs and been running about 95 rear, 90 front, on my gauge, with 23mm tires.

So far so good.
    Too old to ride plastic

Lost in Space...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Behrens View Post

The interesting thing is that, without bringing the bike in, we'd noted the problem to the LBS some weeks ago. They had Jane sit on a pad designed to measure her seat bone width. That machine suggested that the 143 size was the appropriate width. They ordered that seat and the next wider size as well, the 155; told her she could try them both and bring back the one that didn't fit.
    I think it's unfortunate that these "comfort" issues are much too common. I didn't mention this before, but my gf has been having similar issues and i've also been working through the advice in this thread and elsewhere trying to help her adjust. The biggest breakthrough for me, so far, was letting her ride my winter bike, where it was obvious that the change in geometry was beneficial; she also noted that my (wider in this case) men's saddle was more comfortable... but I digress.

I have learned one thing since my last posting in this thread, and it follows what you are saying regarding 143mm being the "right size." I've been reading through a lot of women-specific forums on the topic of saddle discomfort and what I realized is that the width is not an independent and constant factor. It's not constant at all, in fact, saddle width is variable for the same person... it's dependent on the angle of the torso to the bike. The more upright a person sits, the wider the saddle needs to be.

So, 143mm might be the appropriate size, when leaning forward in a more aerodynamic race-y sort of posture. But when you are just cruising along at 10mph on a crushed gravel trail, it doesn't support the sitbones at a now more-upright position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12