RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

forgive sexist question about good trailers

I'm asking this for a co-worker, so forgive me, but I figured women might be the better people to ask about this. My co-worker recently had a child and is looking for a trailer to pull the kid along with. Is there anything I should steer her toward or warn her away from? She'll likely be buying used as neither she nor her husband make enough to where they are going to go out and buy something expensive.

Thanks,

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I think there are threads on this in the General Cycling Discussion and Commuting forums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lol...thats an odd question to ask here. I see more men towing kids on bikes than women.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Well, it was for a woman who wants to tote her toddler around.

Done
    Mar 2002
    As a Dad who, back in the day, pulled his now 20-year-old son around in a trailer, I have nothing but good things to say about the trailers made by Burley. They are well-made, well thought out, and they hold their value when it comes time to pass it along. Our trailer also had the ability to double as a jog stroller, which made it a bit more cost effective in terms of not having to purchase another piece of gear.

A couple of thoughts -

* Trailers really aren't for newborns or infants. The child should have pretty good control of their head and limbs. Plus they aren't big enough to use the seatbelts in the trailer. Think toddler.

* Use the seat belts and straps. True Story - I once flipped the trailer completely over on a ride. Junior was belted in, so he just was hanging there, upside down, giggling like a loon, completely unhurt. I can only imagine what would have happened if he had not been belted in.

* Use a helmet. The kid should wear a helmet in the trailer. It is protection if you have a mishap, and it gets them in the habit of wearing one whenever you get on the bike. It goes without saying that whoever is pulling the trailer should wear one as well.

We had a great time with the Burley, and then graduated to an Adams Trail-A-Bike when my son was around four. Now THAT was fun....
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    I'm asking this for a co-worker, so forgive me, but I figured women might be the better people to ask about this. My co-worker recently had a child and is looking for a trailer to pull the kid along with. Is there anything I should steer her toward or warn her away from? She'll likely be buying used as neither she nor her husband make enough to where they are going to go out and buy something expensive.

Thanks,
    one of the major brands is Bicycle Trailers - Burley

From there... craigslist.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

My other bike has knobbys
    I'll agree as well....stick with the bigger brands (something you can get at an actual family bike shop) is my recommendation.

For our little girl (who is on a Strider now and will likely be on our Adams TAB by the end of the summer), we picked up a Croozer 737 (well, the MEC branded version of it) for cheap second hand. We had already been looking at the MEC version (or REI in the US) as it was a better value and identical to the Croozer. I went through it thoroughly before we bought it to make sure it was in tip top shape and it was a very good find.

Gregory had some great points that are well worth keeping in mind. I'll also add that if your friend can get one that can be used as a jogging stroller, then that's the way to start....gets the little ones used to being in it (with or without a helmet) and they have a blast. Plus many such trailers use regular small bike (16" - 24") tires..makes it easy to replace tires and tubes. In our case, we changed over from the slicks to "off road" tires for the winter and it was simply awesome....great ground clearance, lots of room to haul stuff and far better than any hard plastic wheeled stroller we could have used.
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    I can personally recommend the Burley Bee as being quite good and lightweight. I think it is their lightest in fact. That may not matter to everyone, but I was using mine to tote twins. The only downside would be that the seat seemed to let them slip forward. I solved that by taking a section of aluminum tubing I had sitting around (very, very lightweight) and threading it through a piece of one of those pool noodles. Then I put it under the front edge of the seat and held it in place with wire ties. Perfect support for them at minimal cost.

I also think Craig's list would be your friend here, although I found mine on line for much less that I thought I'd have to pay, so don't assume retail or anything close to it.

Gregory Taylor's comment are spot on. Helmet and straps for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is a completely sexist attitude. It's almost always the man who pulls the trailer.
    "I think you need bigger tires, I guess roadies like that vibration in their ass"
    -Quoted from Bikerag.com, a mountain bike site.

He who spit-shines his bust of Plato is waxing philosophic"
    -Tom Batiuk

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    Excuse me?

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
    This is a completely sexist attitude. It's almost always the man who pulls the trailer.
    Unless she's a single mother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
    given my wife's advantage in all things cardio vascular over me, I'll have to ask her to pull the trailer on some of our rides. 2year old, trailer and 5 month old…

I should be able to keep up.
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."