RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Indoor Trainer Racing when Pregnant?

Hi all.
    I'm pregnant and have moved my fall/winter cycling to the trainer at this point. I normally like to participate in a winter indoor trainer racing series on saturdays (they use computrainers). I really hope once I'm out of my first trimester and not feeling so nauseous that I can do a few of these races with the intent of some zone 3/4 training in these races (with the plan that I'll listen to my body and withdrawal if I need to). Once again, they are indoors, on trainers in groups of 8 (coed). Anyone else do this type of thing in their pregnancy?
    Thanks,
    Em

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Hopefully your prenatal is progressive enough to advise you to you&yours' best interest over covering his/her ars liability wise. Good luck there. But perhaps like sport medicine practices, there are similarly minded obstetrics practices you might look to.?

Congrats BTW, and all the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Congrats on your pregnancy. And you are hard core. You should talk to your doctor about this.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by embot View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm pregnant and have moved my fall/winter cycling to the trainer at this point. I normally like to participate in a winter indoor trainer racing series on saturdays (they use computrainers). I really hope once I'm out of my first trimester and not feeling so nauseous that I can do a few of these races with the intent of some zone 3/4 training in these races (with the plan that I'll listen to my body and withdrawal if I need to). Once again, they are indoors, on trainers in groups of 8 (coed). Anyone else do this type of thing in their pregnancy?
    Thanks,
    Em
    I haven't done it but as far as I know, as long as it's okay with your doc, it should be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Sounds like a safe, responsible option. But yeah, make sure you don't have any risk factors that would preclude it. (Just stay off the rollers. ;)).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks all.
    Both my family doctor and midwife said to keep doing whatever I was doing and listen to my body. In my Dr's words "Olympic athletes get pregnant all the time and I promise they train harder than you." Gotta love that!
    This is the beauty of Canada - far less concern for liability here.
    Def. off the rollers!