RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Newbie, just getting started

Hello all,
    I'm new to the group as well as cycling. I recently bought a cheap roadbike online and put it together (there isn't a shop within 50 miles of me). Got a helmet, some tubes, co2, a bag--just your basic stuff. Finally got out and rode for an hour the other day. My bottom was soooo sore. The next day I went to unload the bike, was gonna ride down the drive and immediately jumped back off because of the pain in my bottom. I haven't bought shorts or bibs yet. I read the more you ride the better it gets. My question is how the heck do you keep going (so that it stops hurting) when you can't stand to sit???
    Oh I'm 41 and just getting stated, from East Texas. Hoping to have fun with this.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You should get bike shorts immediately when you get a bike. Get a new seat possibly, but can't tell from here!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    You said it "hurt" .

If it's a bruise type of hurt then it's the shape of the saddle, and padded shorts won't help as much.

If it's irritation then shorts would help, but a different saddle will eventually be needed.

Both also do lessen over time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats on your first road bike. It does take time to get used to riding but there are a couple of things that can help:

1. A good saddle that fits your sit bones. Without that, nothing is going to make road biking enjoyable if you plan on riding longer routes. I use a higher end women's specific saddle.
    2. A good pair of cycling shorts. The chamois is meant to be protect your bottom from irritation.
    3. A proper fit done on your bike to ensure you aren't rocking as you are pedaling. Small tweaks to saddle height & position and stem length can make huge differences in the comfort.

Good luck and safe riding.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    and fwiw, if the OP gets dedicated cycling shorts, it should be noted that you don't use underwear with them...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    All of the above.

Get some bike shorts and maybe use some chamois cream on them, think about swapping saddles, get a bike fit from your local bike shop.