RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Question on Saddles

Hi,

My fiancee has expressed interest in riding with me so I have taken her on a couple of road/MTB rides. One of her main complaints is pain in the crotch area after riding more than 30 minutes - and then subsequent soreness thereafter for a day or two. Granted, she is using one of my secondary bikes so it's a men's saddle but I am wondering - do the women's saddles make a considerable difference in the feel on the bike compared to riding on men's saddles? She is wearing Pearl Izumi women's cycling shorts, so I don't think that those are the issue.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    She needs to go to the LBS and shop for a saddle.

To answer your question, Yes and No. It depends on what's comfortable for her.

I use Specialized Romin saddles, which are unisex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't use a man's saddle (or none that I've tried so far), it hurts within the first 5 minutes. As il sogno stated, go to your local bike store and see if they have saddles she can try out.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

A wheelist
    Some shops have loaner saddles. Of course any saddle might (will?) hurt until the bum toughens up.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got lucky with the first saddle I tried, the Specialized Oura women's saddle, size 143. I love how it's a bit curved and has a nice cutout to protect the girl bits. The guy at my LBS who sold me my CAAD 10 and races professionally also uses this saddle. It did take a while to toughen up the bum as Mike T. said, I know for me it did.

Getting a loaner saddle if you can find a shop that has them would be my suggestion. Our local Trek store loans out Terry saddles which I've heard many women love. I tried a Terry Butterfly on our tandem and was in pain within five minutes, so they're not for everyone I guess.
    Don't tell me I'm not supposed to be here, because this is where I am.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode a men's stock saddle for a couple of years, then I bought a women's nashbar saddle for about $30 (I don't see it now) and it was great (so I don't count myself as especially fussy). For xmas I got selle italia diva and it is totally meh. I did also get the cheaper selle SMP trk Selle SMP TRK Lady Saddle - Normal Shipping Ground which I have on my indoor trainer and that is pretty marvelous but just too big for my road bike for my taste. Although I might throw it on if I ever do more than 100 miles. Go to team estrogen forum and look through the posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    She needs to go to the LBS and shop for a saddle.

To answer your question, Yes and No. It depends on what's comfortable for her.

I use Specialized Romin saddles, which are unisex.
    I also use the Romin. But for someone in a less aggressive position, I'd suggest trying either the Toupe/Ruby, or Jett. Also by Specialized.

First, though, read this:
    Saddle Comfort and Bike Touring
    measure sitbones, and decide if a cutout is needed.

Then, perhaps, encourage her to swing by Team Estrogen Forum.

Probably best to start here.

forums.teamestrogen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
    Last edited by aureliajulia; 07-15-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Many bike shops have a device for measuring how wide the sit bones are. This would be a great start because you can then narrow down the choice range to saddles that will actually fit her physique.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My GF went the opposite...she went from a couple women's specific Oura and Ruby saddles to a men's Romin Evo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    go to your local bike store and see if they have saddles she can try out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wife isn't highly sensitive to saddles like I am. She has three bikes and has used Terry, Selle Italia and Specialized and Brooks saddles over the years. When she wore out her last Selle Italia I bought an SMP Plus as a replacement on her Lynskey. After she had used the SMP for about 500 miles she told me t was the best saddle she had ever owned.

Saddles are a very personal choice. That said, after using lots of different saddles myself, I now use only Selle SMP Pro saddles on my bikes. SMP just seems to have a very good design and quality workmanship.