Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRidnMike View Post
    I'd agree, though, that consent is the best way to go.
    This is why I carry around consent papers with me on rides. I first verbally ask if they want a push, if they accept I bust out the pen and paper and make them sign right there on the spot. After going through a few pushing-lawsuits I now always make it formal.

Some people say I should just give it up. "You're ridiculous, just stop pushing people" they say. I just hand them a copy of my consent papers and say, "Sign it, or get left behind"

My other bike has knobbys
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    This is why I carry around consent papers with me on rides. I first verbally ask if they want a push, if they accept I bust out the pen and paper and make them sign right there on the spot. After going through a few pushing-lawsuits I now always make it formal.
    Nah....verbal should be good. If they are in distress enough to need a push, then aren't you covered under the Good Samaritan laws? ;)
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i once got passed by a guy pushing his girlfriend up the hill, which was humiliating. he really should have pushed ME up the hill, not her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love being pushed from behind....oh..you mean on my bike..no! Don't do that. Of course, most likely, you're so far behind me you can't reach me anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    There's one guy in our group rides and he'll give folks a "push" but its usually no longer than 50 yards. He's an older guy, a very strong rider, and he'll push strong riders, not-so-strong riders, men, women, people on carbon bikes, people on steel bikes, etc.....of course, only if he's ridden with them a couple of times. He's just a friendly sort, doesn't mean anything by it other than being friendly.

That being said, if someone was giving me a push up a hill without my consent, I think I'd just say "thanks for the push but I'm making it pretty good" and hopefully they'd get the idea.

If this dude is a frequenter "pusher" and its clearly only chicks he's pushing, I think you guys have every right to say something. I once saw Sierra club kick a guy out of a club as he was 'coordinating' group hikes but use it to invite chicks and then invite to dinner at his house.

You don't really go into detail if its one or multiple offenders. I can see one guy might have a screw loose, but if multiple, I've no idea what to say other than it sounds weird and that you should ride with us.
    Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    What is a push on a bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MarciD View Post
    What is a push on a bike?

Hi Marci... we can give you a pass on this since you got into cycling in Florida. j/k

"Pushing" is when a rider will come up beside you, place a hand on your back (usually, sometimes on your butt) and accelerate - pushing you to a faster speed than what you were doing. This is usually done on long hills, to prove that he is manly and thus worthy of your admiration... this is why I say that as a cyclist from Florida (I am not going to use the term that I learned to call you folks when I matriculated at the University of Georgia) you are not expected to understand what that is all about. Long hills are an unknown feature in your area...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good morning.....hahah..thats funny and a bit scary!! I would have to refuse the offer if it ever did happen to me on the Florida trails. The Pinellas trail does have over passes that a push would be very welcome...;o), but I am very very nervous of narrow places while biking..Basically I have to walk my bike over narrow foot bridges and stop when an on coming bicyclist is coming my way, (if its a narrow area).With (pushing), i would feel someone would be to close and our handle bars would entwine. My husband knows enough not to come up beside me while riding.. I have to follow him, knowing my comfortable distance away from someone (although I have come close to bumping his back tire.....pannnnic!!) My motto is, "I am behind you, but Im not following". A few close calls taught me a very good "self interest" lesson!!! In other words, I keep my distance and look both ways, all on my own!!!! Thanks for the explanation, Kim!!!
    PS Did your name calling have to do with being snowbirds or wimps?? Just curious!!! ;o)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I guess it also has to do with the context of the push. Most of the time people don't need to be pushed, they ride at their own pace and will eventually get there. When I started riding in a group and we formed a paceline, I wasn't physically as good as the others and the lead guy was teaching me how to ride and what to watch out for. When I started to lag behind the draft, he would give me a bit of a push so I kept behind the draft and could keep up. I found it very helpful. It was odd at first, but very much appreciated.

It might be different for me as I'm a guy and wouldn't easily feel any inappropriateness of it, but I can see times that it can be useful

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    a lot of the time i see women, short women, fat women, skinny women, pretty women, ugly women, whatever, people of the opposite sex, struggling up what shouldnt be too tough of a hill. but for whatever reason, it is. my first instinct is to help, but if they're grinding away at a snail's pace, not much you can do. cant tell em its too late not to change gears, cause then they need the rest of the effin instruction manual on how to change gears, if not simply how to shift to get up a hill. not moving, not much i can do without stopping myself, sorry.

if i see them struggling, moving, mind you, but struggling, then i might take a minute to i tell them as i come up from behind that the crank has to be turning for the gears to shift. people seem to get that. others like to use big gear, come up out of the saddle, grind it all the way up the hill. whatever floats yur boat i figure, its all good. i swear to god, i ran into a lady just like that in the park this weekend, just bought a condo on fifth avenue and was bragging about the marathon sex she'd JUST HAD for hours before going for a ride....she was pretty funny. i wasnt about to tell her she should she sit her butt down and spin a smaller gear. she seemed kinda set in her ways.

anyway, if i see someone rolling up, but having a rough time of it---hey i used to be that way, syht sometimes still visit ol death valley goin up the hill -- i will usually slow down and offer a few words of encouragement. my instinct is to reach out a hand and provide a little steady pressure, but if someone has trouble with cadence, an unexpected push can really throw them, and you, off balance. plus there's the simple fact that most women dont want to be touched by strangers. there's always that.

i figure basic advice and a few words of encouragement can go a long way.karma is good spread it around..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    "PS Did your name calling have to do with being snowbirds or wimps?? Just curious!!! ;o)"

You have to understand that the universities of Georgia and Florida are mortal enemies, so any names we used were not complimentary. The most popular was "Floridiots" for anyone from that state who hadn't defected to become a Bulldawg.

I lived in Boone NC for most of a year when settling my dad's estate (he retired up there). We did have troubles with snowbirds up there. I recall being on my bike and passing a grey haired woman in a Cadillac with Florida tags who was driving at about 10mph - up a local mountain pass! She seemed so scared of the road I am surprised that she didn't freak out and drive off the road when the cyclists rode around her and motored on up the road.

Now I live in the Pacific Northwest so I don't have much of a beef with folks from Florida anymore - except for that one weekend every fall when the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party sets up shop in Jacksonville. I always make sure not to miss that affair (on television - I'm not wasting my time or money to fly across the country for a silly game!).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Hi there! Youīre probably done with this subject but I saw very few comments about girls who actually do get pushed once in a while like myself.
    I ride with my husband and friends but Iīm the only woman. I do get their pace except on steep hills. Imagine itīs a 90 km ride and weīre on km 30 and get to a steep hill, itīs only a matter of 10 seconds to be left behind and end up riding 60 more kms alone, so whoever sees me staying behind just give me a push to keep the pace up the hill and that way I get to spend the rest of the ride with the group so I really appreciate it. Itīs kind of cheating but Iīm getting better by riding with them and hope I wonīt need their help eventually. They are all friends and experimented riders who wonīt make me fall, so I feel ok with it. They push me from my lower back and itīs 10 seconds at most.
    I guess I would feel awkward if a stranger just went and pushed me, heīd have to at least ask me if I want to be pushed.
    About changing a flat tire, we usually ride with a backup truck and bring spare tires, so Itīs pretty easy. Even so, guys always ask if I need help which I appreciate, but I say no cause thereīs really no need. I think all women should be self-sufficient but itīs still nice to count on gentleman’s willing to help in case it gets too complicated, especially because they have more experience than I do.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Ray View Post
    I ride with my husband and friends but Iīm the only woman. I do get their pace except on steep hills. Imagine itīs a 90 km ride and weīre on km 30 and get to a steep hill, itīs only a matter of 10 seconds to be left behind and end up riding 60 more kms alone, so whoever sees me staying behind just give me a push to keep the pace up the hill and that way I get to spend the rest of the ride with the group so I really appreciate it.
    If it's only a matter of 10 seconds, why can't they just soft pedal at the top of the hill for 10seconds and let you catch up?

They are all friends and experimented riders who wonīt make me fall, so I feel ok with it. They push me from my lower back and itīs 10 seconds at most.
    Doesn't matter how experienced they are. It's a dumb idea and eventually going to cause you to crash.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, most of the times they do that. But sometimes(or specifically when some guys from other groups tag along) it gets kind of acompetition and they just wonīt wait.
    Itīs not like it happens every time, butīyouīre probably right and it just shouldnīt be done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most group rides are like a Chinese phone book- full of wangs (ha ha). Most of the group rides I participate in are shop rides where no one gets dropped or left behind for flatting, man or women. I've never seen anyone get pushed.
    "I think you need bigger tires, I guess roadies like that vibration in their ass"
    -Quoted from Bikerag.com, a mountain bike site.

He who spit-shines his bust of Plato is waxing philosophic"
    -Tom Batiuk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12