Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    waterproof*

when random guys give you an unwanted push on hills (and other annoyances from guys)

I've recently been informed that this happens fairly often to lady riders, especially on group rides. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

For my part, I never do it except on rare occasions where I'm actual friends and regular riding cohort with the lady in question. Besides the chauvinistic overtones, it's really not a safe maneuver at all, for either party and for any other riders nearby.

While we're on the topic of annoying things male riders do around ladies, how about when a lady rider gets a flat or other mechanical and a cluster of guys stands around, doing all the work (by committee, of course) while the lady stands there and ... what? Learns to watch? I dunno. That situation always bugs me because men are all trained to be gallant, and that's clearly a lady in distress. But when will she ever learn to repair her own flat, diagnose her own chain drop problem, etc? And isn't it chauvinistic to do anything more than courtesy stop to make sure she has things under control?

I dunno, I'm just a guy. What do you think?
    * not actually a Rock Star

Shirtcocker
    I generally just point and laugh and then ride away faster than Lance Armstrong when he finds out Greg Lemond is drinking at the same bar.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I spent many of my adult years single... or as I used to joke... between marriages.

I always believed that women have a right to be left alone [as far as romantic advances] at work, and at home. Other than that.... certainly sporting events or ventures would be open game.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    I prefer the Lance v Tyler bathroom confrontation, like a lady at a gala. Because bathrooms are where fights should start.

Bars are where men drink and move on with their lives, or maybe hide from their rivals or wives. They shouldn't try to hide from life, and then leave the bar when their lives show up there, too.

I'll teach my wife, sister(s) and daughter(s) to change flats, but the free services won't be provided for other women simply because they are on the road. Now, if they can't get it done, and its raining, I'll help anyone. I'm just more likely to notice the cute ones are stuck.

Power Napper
    Well, first of all I have never had a guy push me up a hill. It's seems a pretty rude thing to do to anyone, male or female.

I change all my own flats, always have, and I am good at it. Once I got a flat on a group ride and a (male) friend told the others that they better let me change it because I was faster at it than any of them.

I haven't generally been the recipient of chauvinistic behavior. I guess I let my riding speak for me.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends on who the guy is to help me up the hill; Ryder Hesjedal can do that for me any day. Other than that, I want to be able to say I've conquered ... by myself. I, being an older lady, do appreciate the offer of help from a gentleman for any mechanical fixes, but like to also conquer that on my own (I'm am not mechanically inclined in any way, so changing a flat is quite the feat for me ).
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

banned
    Jul 2011
    I am a guy and I have gotten a couple of pushes. One up a hill and one to get back into the paceline. Both were well meant and helped. The first up the hill was less than encouraging as it showed I was not ready to ride with that group at least not that day. Plus I did not know him well.

The second time I was honestly thankful. It was from a friend who is much better and younger than me. And the pace in the paceline was very intense at that point.

I would not trust myself to do it. Wish I did. Would have helped out a friend who was struggling on this Sunday's ride. Again not a woman. She was kicking our buts and trying to keep up was what had done him in. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Here is what I see on a lot of the group rides, which I do 2-3 times per week, and always a few ladies in the group.

First, I have never seen anyone "push" someone, woman or man. I have seen many times where if someone is falling off the pack, they move up into a position to allow the slowing rider to draft them and try to pull back into it, but no physical contact.

Also, on some rides, even so called "no drop rides" if a rider or two drop back toward the end, for a male, the group will probably let them fall back, but if a woman falls back, someone will fall back with them every time.

Everyone is expected to have a spares kit to fix a flat but I don't think I have ever seen a woman have to fix her own flat. There are always 2-3 riders that will help a flatted rider, male or female.

Fecal indicator
    never seen anyone give or get a push...

seems like a rude thing to do.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Never seen this happen. Wow how offensive, stupid and dangerous.
    If someone did that to a woman in my group, he'd get b!tch slapped.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like a myth to me. t

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonsina View Post
    Sounds like a myth to me. t
    What's that?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

CX'er
    I haven't seen anyone pushed before either. We will often pace people back to the group if they get dropped but that's it. If someone can't get paced back on they are either dropped for good or we slow up for them depending on drop/no drop rules for the ride. We pretty much apply the same rules to guys or girls, though most of the group rides I attend are sausage fests.

I think most people would give a "WTF?" if they were being pushed up a hill.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've seen it, but generally only among people who know one another already (i.e., a couple). Both people have to be solid bike handlers for it be done safely.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I was suffering up Cole Grade down in San Diego county just before a Tour of California stage a few years ago. I think it's 16%. A guy at the side of the road asked me if I wanted a push. I said, "Hell yeah!" He gave me a nice long push. I was grateful.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    I was suffering up Cole Grade down in San Diego county just before a Tour of California stage a few years ago. I think it's 16%. A guy at the side of the road asked me if I wanted a push. I said, "Hell yeah!" He gave me a nice long push. I was grateful.

Consent is a good thing.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    I've dropped a chain in the middle of an intersection while making a left turn, I was glad my buddy was there and pays attention and immediately started pushing me till we could clear the lanes and make it to the curb and fix the problem.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    While we're on the topic of annoying things male riders do around ladies, how about when a lady rider gets a flat or other mechanical and a cluster of guys stands around, doing all the work (by committee, of course) while the lady stands there and ... what? Learns to watch? I dunno. That situation always bugs me because men are all trained to be gallant, and that's clearly a lady in distress. But when will she ever learn to repair her own flat, diagnose her own chain drop problem, etc? And isn't it chauvinistic to do anything more than courtesy stop to make sure she has things under control?
    I rode with an Italian club once and had a flat. A guy whistled and the whole pack turned around and came back. Several guys grabbed my bike, pump and spare tube and rapidly fixed the flat. Another guy started trying to find the hole in the old tube but they told him to quit- time to go! I thought it was funny, but also kind of nice in a way. Definitely quicker than my usual flat repair.

I'm guessing they would do the same for a female rider.
    Last edited by Bill2; 10-26-2013 at 08:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This reminds me of my friend, who is a paraplegic, and tells me sometimes strangers try to "help" her by pushing her chair without asking first; the chair is her space - an extension of her body essentially.

As QuiQuaeQuod mentioned, consent is a good thing, not to mention where the hand to body contact is.

RoadBikeReview Member

when random guys give you an unwanted push on hills (and other annoyances fro...

This sort of thing is commonplace where I ride, and the women (including my wife) who receive the extra watts are generally happy to have them. Here it's not done on hills so much as to keep someone in the pack and out of the wind. Never seen a crash result from it but that is certainly possible.

Guys will also give a teammate a shove in a fast group ride or race if one sees the other in difficulty and thinks a boost will make a difference. Keeping your star sprinter in the pack, or suchlike.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

Token Sprinter
    I've pushed someone along once. But it was because his deraillieur got destroyed by a stick a few miles from home while we were out mountain biking and he was incapable of pedaling.

Other than that obviously special circumstance I don't think I've ever seen someone getting pushed along on a ride around here.

Trigger Warning
    I don't think it's dangerous, unless you count non-consensual physical contact and similar presumptuous behavior as dangerous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post

I dunno, I'm just a guy. What do you think?
    I'm also a guy, but learning to change a flat is pretty trivial. It's the act of having to do it that's annoying. If I was such a big deal that dudes eagerly tried to repair all my flats, I would be quite pleased and have no problem with it. So in this case, if a woman wants to complain about guys fixing their flats... please, go cry me a river.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    I'm also a guy, but learning to change a flat is pretty trivial. It's the act of having to do it that's annoying. If I was such a big deal that dudes eagerly tried to repair all my flats, I would be quite pleased and have no problem with it. So in this case, if a woman wants to complain about guys fixing their flats... please, go cry me a river.
    I agree with this. I can change my own flats and have done it enough but sometimes riding with a shop mechanic or two. Those guys can change it a lot quicker than I can and we are all back on the road moving again much quicker.

My other bike has knobbys
    The only place I've seen pushing is at a charity ride I do...and then, it is usually those with a flag denoting a cancer survivor getting the push. When I've seen it, it's not been just the guys doing it...I've seen some wonderfully supportive ladies lending a hand with a push. I'd agree, though, that consent is the best way to go.

In terms of the chivalry thing, it must just be where you are. Most folks up here will call out to see if you're okay, and if so, away they go. If you say no, a lot will stop and help at whatever you need help with. Never seen the real "white knight syndrome" in the wild except where it was a couple and he was trying to get her into riding.
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast