Are Assos bibshorts worth it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    S-Works Tarmac SL3
    Quote Originally Posted by stanseven View Post
    This isn't at all what I've found. At the seasons beginning where I'm putting in 80-100 mile weeks, I need the best bibs to feel comfortable and avoid saddle sores. When I'm later doing 500 mile weeks, anything is fine. I'm in a grove, I'm putting out lots of power in a smooth pedalling style, and the fit/position is dialed in.

It isn't what I found either. On 300+ mile weeks, I like my Performance Ultra shorts better than my Assos Mille. On shorter weeks, I can usually get by with just about anything. Not everything mind you, but just about.

The pad is largely personal preference so everyone's milage may vary. The material and feel of the Assos is first rate, but the pad is middle of the pack. I buy for the pad so I no longer buy Assos shorts.

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal_Mike View Post
    Several months ago, I finally pulled the trigger on Assos bib shorts after reading many posts like these. I got them for around $240 on sale. They are worth it.

I am 6'2" 190. The XL Centos fit perfect. I also tried the Equips and they were too tight and didn't have the KuKu.

The highlight is overall comfort however the ridiculously named Kuku Penthouse is the best feature by far. It's well worth the upgrade in price from the lower end models and is easilly the best clothing upgrade i have experienced.

The one small complaint is the chamois pad is rather thick. I have a slightly paded seat, so I imagine with a thinly padded seat, it would be perfect.

Other bib Shorts: Specialized Roubaix: very good $150. Gore Summer Version: Average at best $120. Pearl Izumi: Average $120.
    The centos have a thicker pad than all of the other S7 bibs. The Equipe's are race fit and are meant to be tighter and have some compression. Sounds like you either want the lowest model or the highest haha. How big is your wallet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Yes, like others I would say they are. After I bought my Assos, I have two pairs, I got rid of my Rapha's which until then had been my favorites. The tops are not anything special, for those I still stick with the Rapha's and as for winter wear Rapha's are still much better than Assos but in the bib shorts arena, Assos are still by far the best. Anyone who says otherwise has just not tried them...

Not a climber
    Welp, just tried out the S5 shorts I got off the factory outlet site. Yeah, just as good as the S7's for sure and for only $150. Not to mention it cost me $8 to ship from the UK to VA in 2 days. Now I'm mad I have a drawer full of expensive Castelli bibs that I'll probably never want to use again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    It really depends...

I have an Assos T.Mille S7 bib shorts, and I can get them here in europe for 85€+VAT, so 85€ really. Great price, and great bibshorts for that price, best bibshorts for that price, much better than good bibshorts from good brands in price/quality like Sportful.

That been said, shortest ride I do is 3 hours, that's just a short training. When I have time, a bit of shape and good weather, I like to be in the saddle for 5-7 hours, with just a short break in the middle for 30min lunch... In those rides, with my fizik antares R3, to be honest, I need a thicker padding and/or more padded saddle. Ad the padding need to be very dense to be comfortable, a pillow like padding is not good... The cento would be better for this use, and that goes to 130€ cheapest place, 250€ regular price... Not sure if that is worth it, it's just a boxers with a padding really. I appreciate the quality, but I have been in the sport for 25 years, many things in this industry is a rip of. I would like to get a medium qualite shorts, with a proper padding. Maybe I should try an aliante saddle better for these long rides...

T-mille best bibshorts out there price/quality, but the most expensive models, I don't know. A bit over priced, not too much value. An 80's porsche, used, 40 years old costs 150.000$ but it has a value, huge one. A 250€ bibshorts that lasts no more than 5000 miles, to be honest, no, not worth it, no matter how good it is. Now, if you are rich, or a dentist, that's another story I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilove2ride View Post
    Yes, like others I would say they are. After I bought my Assos, I have two pairs, I got rid of my Rapha's which until then had been my favorites. The tops are not anything special, for those I still stick with the Rapha's and as for winter wear Rapha's are still much better than Assos but in the bib shorts arena, Assos are still by far the best. Anyone who says otherwise has just not tried them...
    I previously used Hincapie shorts. A few years ago Hincapie used to have some top shelf models with EIT chamois, though their recent product offering is decidedly mid-market. I picked up a pair of T.Mille shorts and I have to honestly say, they are good. And I know this is their entry level model. I find them just so smooth, just so well fitting, the balls never bunch, ride, they don't pinch or ride up. The front of the bib where the bib meets suspenders does hit me right below a small stomach and I don't like the way that feels, I find myself sometimes pulling it up mid ride. The cut is much lower than other bibs and it feels as if the front is cut almost at waist height. I could do without the bulbous logo thing though.

My Hincapie shorts have been relegated to backup status and I will spring for another pair of Assos bibs next year. I am 6', 215 currently and wear an XL (which is not the same as an XLG btw!)

For tops, my favorite hands down is Craft, with a four way stretch fabric that is insanely light and no cuffs on arms. Here again, I can never go back to restrictive fabrics and tight arm openings.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. Worth it.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tough to say. I have three pairs of the FI.Unos from quite a few years back now. They've been great and have held up in fine form. I always got them on sale, so usually around $140-$160 USD. I like them.

I also have Voler bibs that I got on sale for something like $80 that have been great and held up well too.

I think as long as you have a good saddle for your body/position and aren't doing crazy mileage/hours, most decent bibs should be fine. People tend to think Assos are wildly expensive, but some models on sale are only $20-$40 more than most mid range bibs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Tough to say. I have three pairs of the FI.Unos from quite a few years back now. They've been great and have held up in fine form. I always got them on sale, so usually around $140-$160 USD. I like them.

I also have Voler bibs that I got on sale for something like $80 that have been great and held up well too.

I think as long as you have a good saddle for your body/position and aren't doing crazy mileage/hours, most decent bibs should be fine. People tend to think Assos are wildly expensive, but some models on sale are only $20-$40 more than most mid range bibs.
    Yep, lots of shorts are okay the first two hours, but Assos bibs have always gone the whole distance. They don't chafe and rider forgets they're there.

The only drawback IME, their bibs and jerseys are cut pretty slim and get tight over that slightly overweight belly. So ya gotta look the part, lean and mean, to join the Assos elite.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea they are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    If the $300 pair of cycling shorts can stand up to a year of riding, racing and commuting then that would work until you have a crash and ripped up your $300 pair of shorts. Then you would be SOL.
    Assos has crash replacement.
    https://www.assos.com/warranty-repair-policy
    You have bought an ASSOS article, and on one of the first rides with it you crash and damage it... Don't get desperate, we will help you! Within one year from purchase, if it can be repaired, we will do so, and it will be free of charge (with the exception of damages to inserts and lenses).

I used it this summer. Crashed and tore up my Cento bibs (of course I paid no where near $300 for them). Assos replaced them free of charge. Didn't even charge me for shipping, which I'd have gladly paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    The only drawback IME, their bibs and jerseys are cut pretty slim and get tight over that slightly overweight belly. So ya gotta look the part, lean and mean, to join the Assos elite.
    Yea, but I don't find them any more slim than other high end brands ie Castelli. I prefer them tight.
    My only 'drawback' is they're cut a little low in the front and can dig into your belly. But it makes it easier to pee.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123