Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Are Assos bibshorts worth it?

37K views 62 replies 46 participants last post by  EmmaQ 
#1 ·
I have some Christmas money and was thinking of buying a new set of bibshorts. I've read a lot of riders comments about Assos being the best. But, when I looked at the price, but man, hey are expensive!! I understand quality comes with a price, but are they really worth it?

I can probably afford their mid-line bibs in the $270-$370 range, but not their top-tier bibs.

I'm currently riding with newer Castelli body paint bibs, but I'm not too happy with the chamois padding. It's just so-so. Nothing to brag about. I was riding with a pair of PI In-R-Cool Pro bibs, but the newer ones have less padding in the crotch area doesn't come up very high in the front, and my boys don't want to stay in place, so I returned them.

Assos T.equipe_s7 Bib Short - Men's | The Colorado Cyclist

Assos T.cento_s7 Bib Short - Men's | The Colorado Cyclist

I was kind of thinking of the T.cento_s7 bibs with the "KuKu Nest", as I live in hot and humid Florida.

I see everyone has them at about the same M.A.P. in the USA. Any good places to buy them anywhere else?

See less See more
#2 ·
For long rides to me they are worth it - the fit is super and the Chamois on the Millie is just great. My other bib shorts are PI, Gore, and Desoto - and all my Century or longer rides are in the Millie's after trying them but I only have one pair, just for these long rides.

There's a couple places in Europe that do have better prices sometimes. Bellati Sport and the Assos Out let store. The outlet has limited selection but if you can find what you are looking for a good price consistently.

#3 ·
Yes, they are well worth the money. The S7 Equipe shorts are fantastic and I think they are a deal at the level they're sold at. I bought a pair of the Campionissimos for special days and I wish I hadn't. They are that much better than the Equipes to warrant the price differential.

#4 ·
I have Assos S5 and S7's as well as the Castelli Body Paint you mentioned, for me the Body Paint is a great bib and I like the chamois, my preference is the Assos, both are designed for you to be riding hard (in the drops not upright). You can do much better buying overseas, I've had great service and pricing from Slane.

#5 ·
A few of the guys in my cycling club have them and they rave about them... I can't seem to get myself to pull the trigger on $300 bibs though. I was thinking about grabbing a pair of the Mille's from the outlet.

#8 ·
Yes they are. IMHO the S7 line strikes the perfect balance of price and performance in thier line up. I have 2 of them and they are the most comfortable, best fitting bibs I have ever worn. And trust me I have tried a lot of other brands. I reserve them for long training rides, centuries, or any events I expect I'll be spending a lot of saddle time. I try to get them on sale though. Look and shop around and you'll find some good prices.

#10 ·
Worth it at those prices? Only if you're supporting your LBS.

Otherwise look for better discount prices on-line/new on ebay. Should be able to find the Equipe under 200 and Cento under 300. I've had good luck with ribble.co.uk and primera-sports.co.uk this time of year. Never used bellatisport, but have heard they have good prices also.

#11 ·
NO! They don't work for me.
The pad is like a diaper. At first it feels great, then after about 20 miles, I start having issues.
I've had the Millie and the basic Uno S5.

The fit and fabrics are fantastic, but I was constantly adjusting them on rides. I had mediums, then went to a small and same issues.

For me Capo bibs work the best. Their pads are more dense without getting in the way. They just disappear. Love them.

Also my Sugoi RS bibs are great. Not the best looking, but I like their compression benefits, and their pads are excellent.
I also have a pair of the Sportful Total Comfort bibs. The pad is a lot like the Assos, but less bulky. It doesn't feel like your sitting on a folded up pair of socks like with the Assos. The fabrics are pretty good, but not perfect and I wish they were a little longer in the leg.

I just recently bought a pair of Castelli Nanoflex kickers, and while the pad is adequate, it's not my favorite.

For me the perfect bibs would be Assos fabrics, Capo pad, and Exte Ondo fit.

#17 ·
I agree wholeheartedly... There are much better and cheaper options available and YES... I have tried Assos.
I prefer the Sportful Total Comfort Bibs first, Desoto 400-Mile Bibs next, w/ the Sugoi RS as the best "budget" alternative.

#12 ·
It'd probably he helpful if folks included their height and weight when responding to questions about clothing...fit, comfort, etc.

I'm 5'11", 160lbs.

Assos are the best fitting, most comfortable bibs (or shorts) I've worn (Rapha, Castelli, Giordana, Capo).

OP, since you're playing with gift money, I'd say buy a pair and try them for yourself. You have nothing to lose. Sell them on E-Bay if they don't work for you.

#13 ·
My answer is: if they fit you, then they are worth it. In the current version, I have the Equipe in a large (5'10" 150lbs). The Equipe has the same race cut as the Campissimo. The Cento is more of a fuller cut (aka Club Cut). But people have often complained about the fit on Assos, so buy your first pair from a shop or a retailer with a return policy.
I also had a pair of the S7.Campissimo and was not happy. The strip of fabric between the main chamois and the "side flaps" would cut into me; so, I sold them on Ebay.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm sure they are great to wear and ride in, but how can they be so expensive? It simply doesn't cost that much to manufacture such a garment.
Ah, yes...finally. The eventual, obligatory post complaining about Assos pricing.

Do you opine about the price of Bentley autos, or Alden shoes, or Patek watches? Surely, it can't cost that much to manufacture these items in comparison to Chevrolet, Florsheim or Seiko?

Bottom line, if the price of Assos clothing is burdensome, or simply bothersome, then don't buy Assos; but the constant, "oh why does Assos cost so much?" comments grow tiresome. There are plenty of lower cost clothing options for those who cannot justify purchasing Assos.

#19 ·
I bought two pairs of the S5 bibs, and they're the most comfortable bibs I've got. I picked 'em up after one of my friends recommended them to me. I rarely wear anything else.

I did not pay full retail for 'em. I got 'em when Excel put 'em sale, for about $150 a pair. I've also bought stuff from the outlet store, and wouldn't hesitate to place future orders through them.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the comments. It looks almost like a split down the middle. The unfortunate part is, I live in a town where there are three bike shops, and all of them carry very limited clothing, so I have to order online. All of the bike shops here sell...budget to mid-range bikes...and some accessories.

I've had a pair of the DeSoto 400 mile bibs, but I think I ordered a size too big. They didn't fit properly, as the chamois in the back was jetted out a bit and made me look like I was wearing a diaper. Maybe the next size down would fit.

Problem is, not all bibs have the same exact cut and measurements for height and weight. I thought I put my height and weight in my initial post, but I can see now that I didn't.

I'm 55, and weight right at 195 and my waist is 38. When I'm in better "Bike Shape", my weight is closer to 180-185, but I did not have a good year in 2014 medically, so I wasn't able to ride as much as I'd have liked to.

I find some bibs to be "cut" more for a European male rather than an American male, and that's part of the problem. Second problem is, some chamois isn't very comfortable, and some are over-padded. I need to find either new bibs, or a new saddle, because both together, aren't working.

After I had a 3rd hernia surgery last December, 2013, and I was cleared to ride at the end of January, 2014, my surgeon recommended riding a Selle SMP saddle with the "drop nose" and cutout to alleviate any pressure on my testicles and lower abdomen where I had surgery. I rode with that saddle for a few months, but it wasn't comfortable on longer rides of 30 miles or more. I'm currently riding on a Selle Gel Flow saddle, and it's just OK. I need to find a happy medium between both bibs and saddle.

#23 ·
I'm 55, and weight right at 195 and my waist is 38. When I'm in better "Bike Shape", my weight is closer to 180-185, but I did not have a good year in 2014 medically, so I wasn't able to ride as much as I'd have liked to.

I find some bibs to be "cut" more for a European male rather than an American male, and that's part of the problem. Second problem is, some chamois isn't very comfortable, and some are over-padded. I need to find either new bibs, or a new saddle, because both together, aren't working.

After I had a 3rd hernia surgery last December, 2013, and I was cleared to ride at the end of January, 2014, my surgeon recommended riding a Selle SMP saddle with the "drop nose" and cutout to alleviate any pressure on my testicles and lower abdomen where I had surgery. I rode with that saddle for a few months, but it wasn't comfortable on longer rides of 30 miles or more. I'm currently riding on a Selle Gel Flow saddle, and it's just OK. I need to find a happy medium between both bibs and saddle.
Based on your additional information, I understand why the Castelli Body Paint is working for you, as mentioned in my initial response they are set up for competitive riding (in the drops riding hard), Assos is in the same line. I'd look elsewhere.

#24 ·
I haven't owned Assos bibs, but the $300 MSRP makes them prohibitive for me right off the bat. I have $90 Louis Garneau Neo Power bibs which I got from BTD, and they are extremely comfortable. For me a $300 pair of bibs would greatly exemplify the law of diminishing returns.

#25 · (Edited)
A number of points...

As has been noted, they are "worth" what people will pay for them. Clearly enough people are willing to pay their prices that they are still in business, so yes, they are "worth it."

That said, they are the only bibs, bib knickers, bib tights that I currently wear. They fit me very well, I find the chamois to be the most comfortable I've found and I like the work/research/design they put into each piece and into their fabrics. I also like their jerseys and jackets as well, especially their warmer stuff (early spring, fall, winter).

Recently their product materials and advertising explicitly declaims the longevity/durability aspect of their clothing; however, I have several pair of bib shorts that I've owned for 3 years that still look/fit like the day I bought them (my average annual mileage over the last 3 years is about 5,000 mi/yr)

Now the qualifiers....

All of my comments above apply to their S5 line. I am much less happy with the design of the S7 bibs. The new chamois (and there are several variations across the S7 product line, unlike the S5 chamois) are great; however, I have likened the T.Cento bibs to the bastard child of skinny jeans and fishing waders i.e. the legs are too tight and the "body" section is too low-rise and baggy for my tastes. The Equip is better, but still lower rise all around (front & sides) than is my preference. The Equipe also has a more basic chamois (doesn't have the "KuKu penthouse"), but I actually like it better.

The S7 fabric also seems thinner and they now recommend hand-wash only vs including a mesh wash bag with the S5 shorts.

I'm also not super keen on the new strap design. To me, they don't feel as supportive as the old design and I wonder about their durability (no data on the latter point yet, just a worry).

I have one pair of S7 Equipe and one Cento and will continue to wear them on occasion, but will probably hold off on buying any more until they re-design again (hopefully soon). Equally hopefully my S5s will last that long.

For reference, I roughly match your parameters, 56 yo, 6'1", 195ish in bike shape and have a fairly athletic build (broad shoulders/chest, 35ish" inch waist, largish/muscular thighs & calves). I wear XL in their shorts/knickers/tights, but note that I prefer a very snug fit.

I'd say if you can find S5s in your size (and they can still be found online but in rapidly diminishing numbers/sizes), go for it. If you can only find S7s, order a couple of different models sizes and return what you don't like (potentially all of them).

#26 ·
I like the idea of a KuKu Penthouse design, as I live in hot and humid Florida, where I sweat profusely. Also, I think the KuKu Penthouse will help heep things in place, in a more comfortable spot, especially after I undergo my 4th double hernia operation in a few weeks. Maybe that will eliminate my right testicle from being "pushed up" higher than the left when I'm riding.

#27 ·
To add to the sizing reference - 58 years old, 6' 0.5" 185lbs, 35ish inch waist and wear 34waist - 36 inseam Levis comfortably (although a bit snugger at the waist now than during peak riding season). I have Desoto 400 miler bibs with the Ceramico Chamois in size large, and the S5 Mille fit me perfectly (wish I could find more of them), I can't speak to the current models though haven't tried them. I also find PI and Gore Bibs and shorts in size Large fit me well.

One thing that is noticable about the S5 Mille fit for me vs all my other shorts / bibs is the way it clicks into place and stays there. I thought the 'click fit' was marketing BS / Hype until I put them on - it's not hype, it works as the term implies at least for me.

#29 ·
I have a pair of the Mille and they are in my top three of bib shorts. I would say they are worth the money. However, I have decided never to get another pair of Assos bibs again. I am sick and tired of their confusing and stupid names. Among other things, who they hell uses an underscore in their product name? I bet in a few years they'll be selling bibs with names like "TX FI. Uno_S5_ Left/Right_Comp_GX6-Stretchy." My god, I have no idea what I am getting!

#30 ·
Only if you plan to be putting in 500 mile weeks. There are plenty good bibs out there for half the price if you are putting in 250 mile weeks............and for a quarter the price if you are putting in 150 mile weeks. If you are riding 50-75 miles a week, shop at Bike Nashbar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.