Best cycling shorts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Best cycling shorts

What's the most comfortable pair you've ever owned especially for long distance rides? Usually I just ride in cargo shorts but I've noticed a bit of chafing in sensitive areas. Today I got some typical bike shorts which seemed to protect me a bit more but really just felt like other areas of my butt were being worn down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... best? Your ass will decide. Your initial concerns may merely be a "breakin" period. While it's a fairly general thing to say, you usually get what you pay for (too cheap and you'll feel it on your ass... too expensive and you'll feel it in your wallet).

I'm a fan of Voler but I've dabbled in other brands over the years (both bibs and shorts).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ... you usually get what you pay for (too cheap and you'll feel it on your ass... too expensive and you'll feel it in your wallet).

I'm a fan of Voler but I've dabbled in other brands over the years (both bibs and shorts).
    http://www.voler.com/browse/cat/?cat=Sale,Bottoms&vm=1

I find the Voler bib shorts to be the most comfortable, high quality manufacturing and durability, and can be ridden for 100+ miles. Sign up for email notifications become a regular customer, be patient, and you can get pro level jersey/bib short combinations for less than a $100 including shipping during clearance. Get acquainted with BMSM (Buy More Save More) for possible additional discounts for purchasing multiple items per order. High quality and made in USA.

I recently purchased the 2011 pro kit(prior year kit this Spring) and duo(July) kits, both for less than $100 shipped. Love them both. Email notification gives you advance notice so most sizes are available initially.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Castelli Free Aero and Body Paint bibs with the Progetto pad. Hands down the best I have ever used and I have used all of them.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    The Assos T.FI.Mille_S5.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The "BEST" bibs typically start at over $200 (Castelli Free Aero Race, Assos, DeSoto, etc). If you can find Louis Garneau Equipe bibs on sale for around $130 that is the best deal in bibs in my opinion. Heck, I haven't found any bibs I really like much more at any price. If that is more than you want to spend Performance Bikes Ultra bibs/shorts are often on sale around $50, and are a good deal for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    The "BEST" bibs typically start at over $200 (Castelli Free Aero Race, Assos, DeSoto, etc). If you can find Louis Garneau Equipe bibs on sale for around $130 that is the best deal in bibs in my opinion. Heck, I haven't found any bibs I really like much more at any price. If that is more than you want to spend Performance Bikes Ultra bibs/shorts are often on sale around $50, and are a good deal for that.
    I just tried Garneau bibs this past week-end (I am wearing exclusively Louis Garneau stuff, heck, even my bike is a Louis Garneau) and they are very nice product. Saddly, they didn't have my size (M) in stock for the Equip.

I know that size are different in Canada than USA (for example, our large T-Shirt are the same size as medium and sometimes, small in USA).

Is that the same for bibs ? Because I would like to order online for bibs but I am afraid of bad fiting if I order a medium size and they arrive very much too large !!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    have tried Descente, Pearl Izumi, Boure and several other brands...

these Aerotech Pro shorts are the best (and least expensive) I've found...made in the US, too.

men's pro bike shorts padded for cycling comfort in Tall and Short inseams - Lots bicycle apparel cycling shorts
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadl View Post
    I just tried Garneau bibs this past week-end (I am wearing exclusively Louis Garneau stuff, heck, even my bike is a Louis Garneau) and they are very nice product. Saddly, they didn't have my size (M) in stock for the Equip.

I know that size are different in Canada than USA (for example, our large T-Shirt are the same size as medium and sometimes, small in USA).

Is that the same for bibs ? Because I would like to order online for bibs but I am afraid of bad fiting if I order a medium size and they arrive very much too large !!!
    I am very "medium." 5' 9.5", 160 lbs and I wear a large in the Equipe bibs. The legs have a high level of compression and feel great in a Large. But I have relatively large legs, so that might be different for you. Not outlier large, just a little above average.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    these Aerotech Pro shorts are the best (and least expensive) I've found...made in the US, too.

men's pro bike shorts padded for cycling comfort in Tall and Short inseams - Lots bicycle apparel cycling shorts
    +1

I particularly like the microfiber pad. It's soft, flexible and absorbent. With foam pads you generally don't get all three.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

I was a chamois purist for a long time - loved Aussies

But that was a long time ago.

Pearl Izumi is where I spend my money today unless I get a deal on something more exotic.
    Last edited by onespeed; 08-29-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: misspelling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Wiggle's house brand DHB uses CyTech's Elastic Interface Chamois, the same brand found in top-level Assos, De Marchi, and Rapha bibs.

On sale now at $84. Wiggle | dhb Aeron Pro Cycling Bib Short Lycra Cycling Shorts

I've ridden numerous centuries in these with no problems, and find the matte fabric looks classic and has handled a season of heavy riding with no trace of transparency (5+ rides a week between 2 pairs of bibs). The leg grippers are excellent, too. These shorts are easily the best deal in cycling shorts I've found.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Just so you go into this knowing it's a trial and error process...Always fascinating to try a recommendation from another cyclist who loves, loves, loves brand X. Only to find out they don't work for you for whatever reason. IME and IMO it's a mistake to buy cheap as I'm on the saddle for hours at a time.

FWIW Sugoi RSE bibs have an excellent chamois and the workmanship will hold up as good as anything. I'm trying a pair of Bontrager RXL bibs at the moment just to try something new and support the shop. Amazing how different they fit from the Sugoi. Both medium and cut so different through the crotch are with the Bontrager having more material to get bunched up (bad). The one kick ass thing about a shop that sells Bontrager is that you have a 30 day unconditional return for shop credit if the shorts don't work. Kind of a nice hedge. For me, I purchased a medium one day rode 4 hours and returned them the next day for a small. Sweet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    have tried Descente, Pearl Izumi, Boure and several other brands...

They only have waist measurements. Don’t know what size you take or how tall you are but would you have any idea or guess if the straps on the small sized bibs would be OK for a 5’4” guy (avg. proportion for a male) or would they need alteration? Thanks.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

Not a climber
    I think the Pearl Izumi Pro or Elite shorts are pretty comfy padding wise. The only thing I don't like is how wide the pad is in the front, so it bends in half and tries to separate my nuts.

Castelli shorts with KISS3 pad are nice as well, I have a bunch of those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    pardon my mis-post.
    Last edited by champamoore; 08-29-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: error

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by greg12666 View Post
    Castelli Free Aero and Body Paint bibs with the Progetto pad. Hands down the best I have ever used and I have used all of them.
    A thousand times this!
    "Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race."
    - H.G. Wells

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by greg12666 View Post
    same here, i love the progetto pad and the seamless construction of the body paint. i love the low-profile gripper panels and suspenders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    I think the Pearl Izumi Pro or Elite shorts are pretty comfy padding wise. The only thing I don't like is how wide the pad is in the front, so it bends in half and tries to separate my nuts.
    That doesn't sound very comfortable to me. I'd try something else.

Macomb, MI
    Aug 2012
    I just got a set of cannondale baggies... love them.. cause they don't look like bike shorts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    I just got a set of cannondale baggies... love them.. cause they don't look like bike shorts
    You realize that while on a bike it is OK to look like a cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    They only have waist measurements. Don’t know what size you take or how tall you are but would you have any idea or guess if the straps on the small sized bibs would be OK for a 5’4” guy (avg. proportion for a male) or would they need alteration? Thanks.
    I'm 6' 0", 155 lbs. waist 32 in.

medium fits me perfectly.

for $39, these are very well-made. I've paid 3x more and gotten a lesser product.

have a pair of the fleece bibs, too. warm and comfy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    um...baggies...yeah.

sure you look neato keeno in them.

any other fashion tips?

RoadBikeReview Member
    +2 on the Aerotech Bibs.....plus made in USA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    How does the fit of the Castelli Body Paint compare with other bibs? I am now wearing Assos and had to go a size larger than the Pearl Izumi Pro I used to wear.

I wore Pearl exclusively but when they switched to the red-colored chamois with black pinstriping it felt like sandpaper on my butt. A couple of cycling magazines reviewed them and had the same complaint. Have not bought a pair of Pearls in a couple of years so they may have improved them by now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast