Cycling Shoe Brands
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Cycling Shoe Brands

    I'll apologize if there is already a similar thread, I tried searching but couldn't find one.

    Is anyone aware of a way to find Design/Development/Manufacturing information on cycling road shoes? I.e., I'm interested to know which brands actually design/develop/mfr their own shoes (doubt anyone does all three these days). but even understanding which one's have done so in the past will help. Perhaps its a misconception (no reason for my theory other than personal opinion) but I would imagine that companies with experience across the spectrum of design/dev/mfg would provide the best shoes.

    I know that everyone will have their own preference of shoes, thus I'm looking for for actual brand facts/history. I'm having a very hard time finding information online as most information is essentially advertising (even the "rankings" are essentially marketed materials, i believe - perhaps someone knows of an un-biased ranking list that can also help provide more info here).

    Just as an FYI, some of the brands I'm considering for my next pair of shoes (though I'm of course open to others if I can get more information):

    BONT (what I wear today, really like them)
    FI'ZIK
    Shimano
    Sidi
    Louis Garneau

    thanks all!!

  2. #2
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by FightOn View Post
    Perhaps its a misconception (no reason for my theory other than personal opinion) but I would imagine that companies with experience across the spectrum of design/dev/mfg would provide the best shoes.
    Definitely a misconception. You're thinking too hard.
    A company that does all the design/dev/mfg but has $#it quality control isn't going to have the best shoe.
    A company that has $#it designers and great quality control with still have a terrible shoe.

    A company that has great designers and outsources all the dev/mfg while retaining quality control with have a great shoe.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  3. #3
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,279
    Shoes are a lot like helmets ... what's great for one person sucks for the next one. If you like Bont shoes, why look any further? I'm about to start on my third pair of Shimano shoes. They come in a wide size and fit me great.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,089
    You are wasting your time and effort. Makes not sense at all.


    In fact when it comes to 'cycling companies' if anything it would probably be better if they didn't do the design at all and hired foot specialists. Specialized, Shimano, Giro, for example all make great shoes. But what to heck do they really know about shoes and feet from their core business?

    Theoretically I could design and make cycling shoes. Would you assume I'm putting out a good product?

    Sidi, Lake, Bont, DMT, and Gaerne are ones I think are primarily "shoe companies".
    I know Lakes are made in China because I use them and their quality is A1 top notch. I don't know about the others.

  5. #5
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,619
    I would buy Pitbull Shoes if I could find them, but I settled for Sidi.

  6. #6
    Never Give Up!
    Reputation: ROAD&DIRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I would buy Pitbull Shoes if I could find them, but I settled for Sidi.
    OMG, could you imagine a Pitbull shoe designed around the Pitbull pedals... they would be the fastest combination of cycling product on the market.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

    "There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

    "Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

    Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

  7. #7
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    OMG, could you imagine a Pitbull shoe designed around the Pitbull pedals... they would be the fastest combination of cycling product on the market.
    That was their original intention. Develop a shoe with built in cleat to make them walkable.


    I asked Lohmeyer about this, and he claimed to have developed a shoe to specifically house the Pitbull cleats and make them less obtrusive (see image above). That may be a better option for anyone who uses these in town because the cleats are a hassle on any standard road shoe.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    813
    All in house, with the cleat built in. https://hanseeno.myshopify.com/collections/shoes

    Guaranteed to fit after your 8 molding sessions. $2500 seems like a fair price.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    335
    OP... What feature are you looking for in your next pair of shoes that you're not finding in your Bonts?

    My experience has been that Bont shoes are pretty radically different than just about all the other brand names out there. I have yet to find another brand that has a similar foot shape (last) that Bont does.... I really like it that they've dared to make shoes that don't have pointy toes.

    For me, the shape of the shoe is the biggest issue. Most brands make shoes to fit feet are all relatively narrow, which doesn't work for me and has put me on a never ending quest to find a shoe that fits my wide toe box foot.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    87
    Do you have any experience or heard of anyone
    that had about Luck shoes?


    https://luck-bike.es/en/

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You are wasting your time and effort. Makes not sense at all.


    In fact when it comes to 'cycling companies' if anything it would probably be better if they didn't do the design at all and hired foot specialists. Specialized, Shimano, Giro, for example all make great shoes. But what to heck do they really know about shoes and feet from their core business?

    Theoretically I could design and make cycling shoes. Would you assume I'm putting out a good product?

    Sidi, Lake, Bont, DMT, and Gaerne are ones I think are primarily "shoe companies".
    I know Lakes are made in China because I use them and their quality is A1 top notch. I don't know about the others.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by runningman10000 View Post
    Doesn't look like Luck has USA distributors. That's too bad, they make some really cool shoes with all sorts of customization, including different left/right sizes To me, that's the only way I could justify paying big $$$ for shoes... i.e., they're customized to fit you. Of course, that adds some risk in buying the shoes... you better be darn sure you get your fitment right as there are no returns on custom shoes.


  12. #12
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That was their original intention. Develop a shoe with built in cleat to make them walkable.


    I asked Lohmeyer about this, and he claimed to have developed a shoe to specifically house the Pitbull cleats and make them less obtrusive (see image above). That may be a better option for anyone who uses these in town because the cleats are a hassle on any standard road shoe.
    OH_MY_GAWD!!!! Those things are most hideous shoes I've ever seen. Looks like they would fit right in on a certain red bike we all saw recently....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,093
    It appears Sidi shoes are made in either Romania or in Italy, in-house.

    That's an example where the MODEL shoe you choose may or may not be made at the point of design.

    It appears Gaerne does everything in-house.

    Just do a search like this, "where are "X Brand" shoes made" and that should help.

    If you really want peace of mind, try some of the U.S. domestic custom shoe manufacturers.

  14. #14
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,030
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That was their original intention. Develop a shoe with built in cleat to make them walkable.


    I asked Lohmeyer about this, and he claimed to have developed a shoe to specifically house the Pitbull cleats and make them less obtrusive (see image above). That may be a better option for anyone who uses these in town because the cleats are a hassle on any standard road shoe.
    These shoes look like rats.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,089
    Quote Originally Posted by runningman10000 View Post
    Do you have any experience or heard of anyone
    that had about Luck shoes?


    https://luck-bike.es/en/
    No I'm not familiar with them. One thing I noticed is that's a potential issue with them is they use boa style knobs but not boa brand.
    I'd be concerned about the ease of getting replacements. Not saying I know it's a valid concern but it's definitely something I'd verify before getting those. The do break/wear out. Boa is really great about cheap/easy to get replacements. That brand, I don't know.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    No I'm not familiar with them. One thing I noticed is that's a potential issue with them is they use boa style knobs but not boa brand.
    Good eye! And a valid concern... I had a pair of shoes with off-brand dials and when I inquired about getting replacement dials, I found it was pretty much impossible.

    I've also found that I prefer a single dial over two or more... at least in the shoes I've had. The dial and the area under the shoe where the dial is mounted is obviously not flexible at all. On a pair of really expensive Fizik shoes I had (and returned), the second dial dug into the top of my foot. Also, a single dial is much less effort to tighten and release if you're lazy like me

Similar Threads

  1. Small cycling clothing brands
    By FTR in forum Apparel and Cycling clothes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-16-2016, 07:44 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
  3. "Big Brands" vs. "Niche Brands"
    By Straz85 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 04:53 PM
  4. Are cycling shoe sizes the same as tennis shoe sizes?
    By Morisato in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
  5. Shoe brands and sizing?
    By dougydee in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.