Cycling Shoes Shaped Like Human Feet? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I got my new Lintaman shoes yesterday, which is pretty impressive... less than a week to deliver from Taiwan.

The good news is that I think the shoes look great.

The bad news is that they run a bit small length-wise, at least compared to the sizing of my existing Giro shoes The width feels great, but I really need a size 48 instead of the 47's I ordered. Ugh. I guess that's the price I pay for taking a risk. Anyone need a new pair of nice, highly adjustable shoes?

IMG_20190125_142339.jpgIMG_20190125_142450.jpg

They came with a second set of vented insoles, 2 replacement lace knobs, and replacement laces.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I got my new Lintaman shoes yesterday, which is pretty impressive... less than a week to deliver from Taiwan.

The good news is that I think the shoes look great.

The bad news is that they run a bit small length-wise, at least compared to the sizing of my existing Giro shoes The width feels great, but I really need a size 48 instead of the 47's I ordered. Ugh. I guess that's the price I pay for taking a risk. Anyone need a new pair of nice, highly adjustable shoes?

IMG_20190125_142339.jpgIMG_20190125_142450.jpg

They came with a second set of vented insoles, 2 replacement lace knobs, and replacement laces.
    That stinks they don't fit. Mine are supposed to arrive today. I ordered a 42 which is what all my other shoes are.

I emailed Lintaman over a week ago about their sizing (true to fit) and I still have not heard back from them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bummer that the size 47 is too small. Good luck with your next acquisition.

By the way, maybe I missed it somewhere else in the thread but what is your regular US size in shoes, length, and width?

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    I like shoes with a wide toe box. My Bont Vaypors were great but ventilation was not good. I've ridden the Giro Empire SLXfor a couple of seasons now and I find them just magnificent.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    I like shoes with a wide toe box. My Bont Vaypors were great but ventilation was not good. I've ridden the Giro Empire SLXfor a couple of seasons now and I find them just magnificent.
    You could have gotten the Vaypors with a wider toe box. Did you use measurements and tracings when you bought them? Iím curious, were they heat moldable? Also, how long ago? One of the problems I see with Bont is the changes they made early on made the shoe a little unpredictable.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the same fit issue and found Shimano shoes to be accommodating and comfortable. There's a wide range of price levels too. The higher it goes, the stiffer the sole.
    Pop a wheelie!

Icicle Bay a.k.a. Beetlebaum - Black Cat Disc Roadie
    Tang (CX) - 198? Curtlo Cyclocross (she's heavy, but she's mine)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    By the way, maybe I missed it somewhere else in the thread but what is your regular US size in shoes, length, and width?
    I'm not really sure what my regular US size is since it seems that every manufacturer has their own idea of what a shoe size is, sometimes even within the same brand My left foot is longer than my right, and I think I'm typically a US 12.5 or 13.

I have 3 pairs of Giro cycling shoes that are all Euro size 47 and my daily walking shoes are Northface hiking shoes and they are also size 47. I'm pretty sure my feet aren't exceptionally wide for their length (D width?), but I've had what is apparently a "tailors bunion" at the base of my little toes and what would appear to be a small bunion starting to form at the base of one of my big toes, which complicates buying shoes.

Thanks again for all who have been giving input into shoes to try. As much as I like our new Internet economy, buying shoes online that fit is a huge, expensive pain... especially since most online bike shops don't offer free return shipping. If I ever find a pair of shoes that fit properly, I'm going to buy a pallet of them

RoadBikeReview Member
    duplicate post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by velodog; 01-26-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've just received the Bont's that I ordered and I've high hopes for them. The toe box is roomy while the heel cup holds my foot comfortably snug. The entire shoe, in fact, holds the foot securely with out making my foot fit the shoe. Also as has been already posted, the arch isn't much of one. I haven't tried riding in them yet, but will be on the trainer later today to see.

Anyway here it is the 44.5 standard width Bont compared to a well worn 44.5 mega Sidi.

IMG_1749.jpgIMG_1750.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Anyway here it is the 44.5 standard width Bont compared to a well worn 44.5 mega Sidi.
    I like how the Bont's toe-shape should theoretically keep the big toe in a straighter position compared to most other cycling shoes that come to a "point" like the Sidi's do (and so do my Giro's). Although it doesn't seem like anyone knows for sure what causes bunions (genes or poor shoe fit), it's suggested that bad shoe designs are a contributor to them.

IMG_1750.jpg

The Bont Riot is a reasonably priced shoe at about $129. For me, the $100 ranges is the limit to what I think a shoe should cost even though manufacturers are pushing the $400 range now for shoes, which I think is absurd. It's not like there really is any radical technology going into shoes these days. They're all made of the same synthetic materials, almost all of them have the same shape, and almost none of them are designed to fit human feet! I think the only radical advancement I've seen in shoe design in the 25 years I've been riding is the carbon sole and the BOA lacing system. Other than that, they're just shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like how the Bont's toe-shape should theoretically keep the big toe in a straighter position compared to most other cycling shoes that come to a "point" like the Sidi's do (and so do my Giro's). Although it doesn't seem like anyone knows for sure what causes bunions (genes or poor shoe fit), it's suggested that bad shoe designs are a contributor to them.

IMG_1750.jpg

The Bont Riot is a reasonably priced shoe at about $129. For me, the $100 ranges is the limit to what I think a shoe should cost even though manufacturers are pushing the $400 range now for shoes, which I think is absurd. It's not like there really is any radical technology going into shoes these days. They're all made of the same synthetic materials, almost all of them have the same shape, and almost none of them are designed to fit human feet! I think the only radical advancement I've seen in shoe design in the 25 years I've been riding is the carbon sole and the BOA lacing system. Other than that, they're just shoes.
    As someone with "poorly designed feet" I'll say spending money on shoes that work is money well spent, and I think that the $155 I have invested in these shoes is well worth it if they are indeed more comfortable than my Sidi's. And if they work as well as I hope, I will indeed be willing to stay with the brand, even upgrading to their higher end shoes.

Spending big money on designer jeans is absurd, but spending that big money on good, not stylish, footwear is well worth it. I've spent big money all my working life on RedWing work boots for my feet, and I can't see why I would compromise my feet while riding my bike.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Does anyone know if the Bont Sizing Wizard measurements should be taken while sitting or standing? Since it suggests taking measurements with your heal against the wall, I assumed it wanted a measurement while standing... which will cause one's feet to "splay out". When I do that, I get a length measurement of 300mm, of which the wizard tells me I need custom shoes!

** Edit **

It looks like it was the width that made the wizard suggest I need custom shoes. My bony feet have a width of 118mm when standing, breaking the wizard

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does anyone know if the Bont Sizing Wizard measurements should be taken while sitting or standing? Since it suggests taking measurements with your heal against the wall, I assumed it wanted a measurement while standing... which will cause one's feet to "splay out". When I do that, I get a length measurement of 300mm, of which the wizard tells me I need custom shoes!

** Edit **

It looks like it was the width that made the wizard suggest I need custom shoes. My bony feet have a width of 118mm when standing, breaking the wizard
    Ouch, custom is over $1000.

I was playing with the wizard and at your 300mm length 116mm width is a 48 standard but going up to 117mm says custom. What about a wide? The Riot+ shows regular, Asian(probably narrow) and wide so I recommend writing an e-mail and ask a few questions, you may fit into a 48 wide. I wrote with some questions before buying mine and was responded to promptly.

I rode mine on the trainer today and am pleased. After I rode I pulled the insoles and tried my Specialized insoles with the higher arch support, and they fit in the shoe and felt good when I put the shoes on. I'll try them on the trainer next.

IMG_1754.jpgIMG_1755.jpg
    Specialized arch compared to Bont

IMG_1751.jpg
    Bont insole compared to Sidi...from above and below

IMG_1752.jpg
    Specialized insole over Bont
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member

** Edit **

They have a wide option in most, if not all, shoe models. You may be able to get an even wider or semi-custom for a small upcharge. I canít imagine needing a custom cycling shoe... The demand just isnít that great. But like Velo said, email them. Better yet, do the tracings, (note, a partner helps) then measure and write the length and width of each tracing and include it with your email.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    You could have gotten the Vaypors with a wider toe box. Did you use measurements and tracings when you bought them? Iím curious, were they heat moldable? Also, how long ago? One of the problems I see with Bont is the changes they made early on made the shoe a little unpredictable.
    The back then (2013) standard Vaypors were fine. My heel is quite narrow and I didn't want the shoe to end up loose back there. I used the Bont fitting guide which was fine width wise and IIRC I ended up with size 45, which was borderline short on my right foot.
    They were moldable and easily pliable when warm. I baked them 3 times and used the handle of a small screwdriver to get the necessary bulges (including that for Ś toe on my right foot) just right.
    One thing I didn't like with the bonts was the actual build quality. I remember I had to do a trick wih a cleat nut to stop it from rotating.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    The back then (2013) standard Vaypors were fine. My heel is quite narrow and I didn't want the shoe to end up loose back there. I used the Bont fitting guide which was fine width wise and IIRC I ended up with size 45, which was borderline short on my right foot.
    They were moldable and easily pliable when warm. I baked them 3 times and used the handle of a small screwdriver to get the necessary bulges (including that for Ś toe on my right foot) just right.
    One thing I didn't like with the bonts was the actual build quality. I remember I had to do a trick wih a cleat nut to stop it from rotating.
    Yeah, I think pre and post Wiggo... going from a small family business in a very small sport to a competitor in a much larger market has had an impact and the biggest effect is consistency.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Sheesh guys.. you are all way to hung up on shoes.. screw a couple of cleats to a pair of flip flops and be done with it

Also, I have no idea what size my shoes are in EU sizing (edit, I just checked, I am a 9.5 US mens, those won't fit me).. but the 47's good lord sasquatch, my what big feet you have, that is like 13 mens.. which is what my wife wears (god I hope she does not see this).. if only those did not have that freaking logo and crap down the side.. I'm okay with the brand name.. but all that other crap makes it look cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    but the 47's good lord sasquatch, my what big feet you have, that is like 13 mens.. which is what my wife wears (god I hope she does not see this).
    Hey now, I resemble that comment!

One of my favorite Jazz musicians knows your wife's pain...

Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    if only those did not have that freaking logo and crap down the side.. I'm okay with the brand name.. but all that other crap makes it look cheap.
    I like the logo on the bottom... to each his own, I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought my Riot+ on ebay(365 Cycles) for $155 and free shipping, about the same price as the Riot would have been delivered to my door. So far I'm likin' 'em.
    Last edited by velodog; 01-30-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I bought my Riot+ on ebay(365 Cycles) for $155 and free shipping, about the same price as the Riot would have been delivered to my door. So far I'm likin' 'em.
    Bont Shoes from 365Cycles on eBay

Unfortunately, that seller doesn't cater to Big Foots like me
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 02-01-2019 at 11:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    365 Cycle does offer free return shipping as stated right on the homepage of their web site. Now only if they had my size...
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 02-01-2019 at 11:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

I ordered a pair of Bont Riot MTB shoes from their closeout store in size 48 instead of ordering a larger size of Lintamans. I determined my size by measuring my foot using Bont's "wizard".

The shoes arrived today and they are too big in just about every measurement except the width. They are way too long and too big in volume. I can pull the straps and latches until there's nothing left. The aren't comfortable in the ankle area... the sides of the shoes cut into my ankles on the sides.

Because the sole wraps around the foot, I can feel the edges of the sole which is weird, but probably something I'd get used to. The arch doesn't work well with my foot, either. The arch is too high and small for my foot and is part of the shape of the sole.

The shoe quality seems just fine and the toe box certainly is roomier than other shoes I've owned, but the shoes were clearly designed for someone with different foot proportions than I have.

To make my story more annoying, when I contacted Bont to find-out what my return options are, I got a reply email stating that the entire company is closed until February 15th. What?!?! What company shuts down for 1/2 a month? Grrr...</end rant>

RoadBikeReview Member

I ordered a pair of Bont Riot MTB shoes from their closeout store in size 48 instead of ordering a larger size of Lintamans. I determined my size by measuring my foot using Bont's "wizard".

The shoes arrived today and they are too big in just about every measurement except the width. They are way too long and too big in volume. I can pull the straps and latches until there's nothing left. The aren't comfortable in the ankle area... the sides of the shoes cut into my ankles on the sides.

Because the sole wraps around the foot, I can feel the edges of the sole which is weird, but probably something I'd get used to. The arch doesn't work well with my foot, either. The arch is too high and small for my foot and is part of the shape of the sole.

The shoe quality seems just fine and the toe box certainly is roomier than other shoes I've owned, but the shoes were clearly designed for someone with different foot proportions than I have.

To make my story more annoying, when I contacted Bont to find-out what my return options are, I got a reply email stating that the entire company is closed until February 15th. What?!?! What company shuts down for 1/2 a month? Grrr...</end rant>
    I hate to hear this. I've only ridden mine on the trainer, but I couldn't be happier with them right now. I also used their sizing wizard and the fit is spot on. With any luck they'll cover the return shipping.

Did you try and contact the US rep or Australia? When I wrote Bont I was asked to contact their US rep and he has been good to deal with.

MingTan

MC2 Sports LLC

521 Charcot Ave

Suite 159

San Jose, CA 95131

Phone +1 408.667.5103

Mail: [email protected]
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes, the company shuts down for the Chinese New Year for the whole season of celebration. Always has. I think they are struggling with their identity. They are a speed skating company. Inze revolutionized in-line speed skating. South Korea and Columbia are the dominant powers and Bont is all in with South Korea. They are Asian market focused. Cycling was an afterthought, but along came Wiggo... Then the Zero got outlawed by UCI for being too aero. Demand exploded. I donít think they have recovered from the pressure of their expansion fully. Frankly, the depth of a speed shoe makers knowledge is nearly wasted on a cycling shoe. Except, and you see lots of Bontís used, on trackies. Thatís an ideal market for them. Small and intimate. And one where shoes make a huge difference. Random online ordering, and I know they are trying like hell to make this work, is a bad way to buy a Bont product. Nothing at all about how they have done business for 2 generations is comfortable with that. At their heart they are a custom shoe maker. Granted, Paul Marchese dominates elite ice speed these days, Bont still has walls full of Olympic and world class accomplishments. I have never bought a shoe from them that wasnít showing up 95-100% perfect. And if I needed a minor adjustment it was taken care of free.

A tracing should be included and a rep should be utilized. Itís dope easy to get a perfect fit in one shot. And the shoe will be PERFECT. In a sea of retail cycling shoe marketplaces they are struggling to find their sea legs. They have a product that is far superior but is only fully realized in niche cycling markets like track. If you do it right, and that isnít always easy (enough) you can get a shoe that is the best product on the market by a long shot, because itís overkill.
    Last edited by PBL450; 02-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast