Cycling Shoes Shaped Like Human Feet? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    My US size shoe is 13 2EE. I have a wide forefoot and narrow heal. Also, I have shoe orthotic that I wear in my shoes. (Orthotics come in all shapes and sizes, mine are designed such to take up minimal functional space in the shoe.)

My Sidi Dominator Mega fit perfectly with my orthotic inside. Who cares about the shape of the last as long as your feet are comfortable with it. The shape or design of last vary by quite a bit in shoes of all types.

In terms of popularity, Sidi shoes are way up there and also are very adjustable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Part of what was making me really angry about the Bont Riot's I got yesterday was that I was waiting for another pair of Bont's to arrive in the mail, also in size 48... Ugh! (Old proverb says, "A fool with his money soon will part.") I was loathing opening yet another box of non-returnable shoes (they were on final sale) that didn't fit.

However....

The shoes, Bont Blitz in size 48, fit very nicely! They don't bite my ankles, the arch isn't perfect but doesn't seem like they'll be an issue, and they fit length-wise w/o having a huge gap at the end of the shoe like the Riot's do. Granted, I haven't ridden in the shoes yet, but they aren't instantly uncomfortable like the Riots MTB shoes are.

So here's a little comparison of my extremely expensive adventure so far... at least for the road shoes. On the right are my existing Giro shoes in size 47 which I've been trying to replace because they're just too tight in the toe box for my feet. In the middle are the Bont Blitz's in 48, and the Lintaman Adjust's on the left in 47 (also too small in length).

I personally think the Lintaman's are the best looking... I like the 'industrial look' of the rubber shoe wings and the Bont's are by far the dorkiest looking. The fact that they're a size 48 doesn't help that... they're freekin' gun-boats.

It's probably hard to tell in the photos, but the Giro's certainly have the pointiest toe box of the three. If money were no object, I'd really like to try the Lintaman's in a 48... I still have faith that they are good shoes for my needs. But my coffers are empty and the Bont's seem to fit, so dorky it is!

IMG_20190202_174405.jpgIMG_20190202_174458.jpg

If anyone wants a pair of good condition Giro's in size 47, mine will be available shortly. They're wonderful shoes but just too small for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Part of what was making me really angry about the Bont Riot's I got yesterday was that I was waiting for another pair of Bont's to arrive in the mail, also in size 48... Ugh! (Old proverb says, "A fool with his money soon will part.") I was loathing opening yet another box of non-returnable shoes (they were on final sale) that didn't fit.

However....

The shoes, Bont Blitz in size 48, fit very nicely! They don't bite my ankles, the arch isn't perfect but doesn't seem like they'll be an issue, and they fit length-wise w/o having a huge gap at the end of the shoe like the Riot's do. Granted, I haven't ridden in the shoes yet, but they aren't instantly uncomfortable like the Riots MTB shoes are.

So here's a little comparison of my extremely expensive adventure so far... at least for the road shoes. On the right are my existing Giro shoes in size 47 which I've been trying to replace because they're just too tight in the toe box for my feet. In the middle are the Bont Blitz's in 48, and the Lintaman Adjust's on the left in 47 (also too small in length).

I personally think the Lintaman's are the best looking... I like the 'industrial look' of the rubber shoe wings and the Bont's are by far the dorkiest looking. The fact that they're a size 48 doesn't help that... they're freekin' gun-boats.

It's probably hard to tell in the photos, but the Giro's certainly have the pointiest toe box of the three. If money were no object, I'd really like to try the Lintaman's in a 48... I still have faith that they are good shoes for my needs. But my coffers are empty and the Bont's seem to fit, so dorky it is!

IMG_20190202_174405.jpgIMG_20190202_174458.jpg

If anyone wants a pair of good condition Giro's in size 47, mine will be available shortly. They're wonderful shoes but just too small for me.
    You are a marble in a shoe box rolling around blindly trying to find a hole on the box to escape. Random is only going to work with a huge number of trials. The idea behind the Lintaman’s is about as dumb as I could imagine. Why wouldn’t you just buy a shoe that fits? Is your foot still growing? So, if you are 5, that’s a solid design. It might get you a year or two more use... but I suspect you are an adult. Blitz is a GREAT shoe. Combines comfort of soft shoe with the heat moldability of a near custom shoe. If you scroll up you will see the pics I posted of this shoe. Im not sure what you mean by dorky... there is a cool cycling shoe? Look. This is easy. Contact rep. Send tracings. Buy the shoe that fits perfectly.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Why wouldn’t you just buy a shoe that fits? Is your foot still growing?
    I'm trying to buy a shoe that fits, but my LBS doesn't carry hardly anything in my size which leaves me at the mercy of random trials.

For me, "foot health" wasn't something I thought about until I reached my mid forties and started having some pain in my toe joints... which I theorized was from my shoes 'squishing' my toes. I switched my daily walking shoes to something with a larger toe box so my toes could move and since doing that, my toe pain seems to have abated. My bike shoes, however, all fit very snugly and that's likely because I probably never really knew how to fit a shoe properly for foot health. That, and most shoes aren't designed to keep your feet happy and healthy.

Anywho, I hear what you are saying, but I feel that for people like me that don't have normal shaped feet and have issues finding shoes that fit, having adjust-ability isn't a bad thing. And while your feet may not necessarily grow longer when you're an adult, they certainly can change shape!

[REDACTED]
    Feet can keep growing throughout adulthood. I have increased 3 sizes since my 20's.

Foot problems like those of the OP can also be hereditary. I find it hard to believe that bike shoes can cause these problems since you don't do a lot of walking in bike shoes. Most dress shoes are ill fitting. If you are required to wear dress shoes for a job, this can be a problem - especially for women who have to walk around in high heels with their toes jamming forward into something that looks like an ice cream cone.
    Last edited by Lombard; 02-02-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Feet can keep growing throughout adulthood. I have increased 3 sizes since my 20's.
    Wow! According to this article, yes our feet do grow wider and longer with age, and that's not accounting for all the gross things like bunions, hammer toes, etc...

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/s...nge-size-time/

“Over time and through gravity, our feet tend to get longer and wider,” Dr. Rowland says. “That happens after our ligaments and our tendons become a little bit more lax over time.”
    So if you're young and following this thread... beware... there's a larger foot coming to a leg near you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I find it hard to believe that bike shoes can cause these problems since you don't do a lot of walking in bike shoes. Most dress shoes are ill fitting.
    I don't think the cycling shoes are the cause of my foot pain, but perhaps a contributor. I seem to get the pain during or shortly after riding my indoor trainer with a pair of Giro shoes that are as pointy as the ones I posted pictures of. I don't recall having that same pain in my daily walking shoes.

You're right... dress shoes are an even worse nightmare in terms of foot health and proper fit. I went to a handful of stores to try on dress shoes that didn't scrunch my toes and left with nothing. At least with online purchasing of dress shoes, you can find places that offer free return shipping if they don't fit (like Amazon). I found one dress shoe company that provides shoes that have a better shape (minimalist dress shoes), but dang are they expensive... https://carets.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Interesting, at least to me, is this bit of advice from an article, "The Do's and Don'ts of Shoe Shopping":

DO pick shoes shaped like your feet
    The toe box should be rounded or oval to mirror the shape of your feet. If the toe box is too narrow, it can aggravate bunions and cause corns or a pinched nerve. There should be a fingertip of length between your longest toe and the tip of the shoe, Dr. Botek says.
    I knew I wasn't crazy. (At least in regards to my quest for a better fitting shoe )

[REDACTED]
    Interesting, at least to me, is this bit of advice from an article, "The Do's and Don'ts of Shoe Shopping":

I knew I wasn't crazy. (At least in regards to my quest for a better fitting shoe )
    One important thing they forgot is to go shoe shopping late in the day. Feet generally swell somewhat as the day wears on.

I have had a few foot issues over the years, but fortunately, bunions aren't one of them. That may be because my middle toe is the longest, not my big toe.

One issue I have is I have narrow feet, so finding shoes narrow enough to be supportive and still long enough can sometimes be a challenge.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm trying to buy a shoe that fits, but my LBS doesn't carry hardly anything in my size which leaves me at the mercy of random trials.

For me, "foot health" wasn't something I thought about until I reached my mid forties and started having some pain in my toe joints... which I theorized was from my shoes 'squishing' my toes. I switched my daily walking shoes to something with a larger toe box so my toes could move and since doing that, my toe pain seems to have abated. My bike shoes, however, all fit very snugly and that's likely because I probably never really knew how to fit a shoe properly for foot health. That, and most shoes aren't designed to keep your feet happy and healthy.

Anywho, I hear what you are saying, but I feel that for people like me that don't have normal shaped feet and have issues finding shoes that fit, having adjust-ability isn't a bad thing. And while your feet may not necessarily grow longer when you're an adult, they certainly can change shape!
    Its just painful to watch this be such a struggle for you... Sorry. It shouldn’t be this hard, and the non returnables, the cost... It’s brutal.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Alright guys (and gals)... the search for cycling shoes with the perfect shape is now officially over...

hehehe... Ok, so maybe not. I do have Vibram Five Finger shoes and they are loverly (but maybe not-so-much for cycling.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I took another "shoe gamble" this week in the quest for good fitting SPD shoes, and the gamble might have actually paid off.

I found a pair of "open box" Fizik Infinito X1 shoes for almost 1/4 the new price (the new price is insane, IMHO) and free returns, so I figured I had nothing to lose. They arrived today and I'm pretty excited as they fit better than any of the shoes I've experimented with so far. What's particularly nice is that the faux leather is supple enough that the uppers curve around my lumpy feet.

They definitely are not wide shoes, so anyone with EE or wider shoes would not be happy, but my feet aren't unusually wide for their size and my toes have some wiggle room, so I'm excited to try 'em on my trainer tomorrow.

Yeah me.

FizikX1Infinito.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I took another "shoe gamble" this week in the quest for good fitting SPD shoes, and the gamble might have actually paid off.

I found a pair of "open box" Fizik Infinito X1 shoes for almost 1/4 the new price (the new price is insane, IMHO) and free returns, so I figured I had nothing to lose. They arrived today and I'm pretty excited as they fit better than any of the shoes I've experimented with so far. What's particularly nice is that the faux leather is supple enough that the uppers curve around my lumpy feet.

They definitely are not wide shoes, so anyone with EE or wider shoes would not be happy, but my feet aren't unusually wide for their size and my toes have some wiggle room, so I'm excited to try 'em on my trainer tomorrow.

Yeah me.

FizikX1Infinito.jpg
    But they're not yellow.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    But they're not yellow.
    I know When you have gunboats like I do, your color choices become super limited... usually to "any color as long as it's black" (like the Model T Ford). Perhaps I could get some yellow BOA dials or something

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Perhaps I could get some yellow BOA dials or something
    Here's much simpler solution.
    1-neon_yellow_2400x.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I ended-up returning the Fizik Infinito X1 shoes after a few test rides I got such a smokin' deal on them that I desperately wanted them to work-out, but I had a few issues with them...

• When I tightened the front BOA dial, I could feel the dial pressing-down on the top of my foot which was annoyingly uncomfortable.
    • While the length was good, the shoe volume was apparently too big for the rest of my feet. As a result, I could tighten down the top BOA dial all the way and the shoe still wasn't tight around my foot.
    • I think top-of-the-line race shoes might actually be too stiff for my taste. The Infinito's have a very stiff carbon sole and the insole has no padding. I kept thinking that riding in them was like riding with cardboard boxes wrapped around my feet.

I think that only the first issue is an actual issue with the design of the shoe... the other two are probably just fitment issues 'cause my feet are apparently weird.

My next expensive shoe adventure will be a pair of Bontrager Cambion shoes I ordered from my LBS. They stock nothing in my size, but will allow for returns on custom orders, so I figure I might as well give my LBS a try since ordering online has been a lot like playing the lottery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    My shoe saga continues... but I think it's finally over!

Thanks to a 20% off coupon at Competitive Cyclist (who has great customer service, BTW), I ordered a pair of Lake MX237...

IMG_20190312_175713.jpg

They instantly felt comfortable... the tongue doesn't bite into my ankle, the heal is relatively narrow, the toe box is wider than most shoes I've tried (except the Bonts), and I can't feel the BOA dials when I tighten the shoes. The best part for me is that the little mesh triangle on the side of the shoe is located at the base of my pinky toe where my foot is the widest and often gives me issues.

The only downside to the shoes is that they're not very light even though they have carbon soles, but I can live with that. I wanted them in blaze orange, but money talks!

T K
    wasssabi
    Look like dress shoes. Pretty sure you could wear those to church. Dual purpose, getting your money's worth!💰

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    Look like dress shoes. Pretty sure you could wear those to church. Dual purpose, getting your money's worth!
    LOL! I think you're on to something! Heck, the Lake shoes are nicer than anything I wear to church... I don't have any real leather non-cycling shoes

So far I like the Lakes enough to keep 'em. I won't say they are the perfect shoe, but they are the best I've found for my feet shape so far. I'm willing to bet they're going to be hot in the summer as they're leather w/ very little ventilation. My feet already sweat in them while riding my trainer in my basement which was a balmy 56 degrees today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Thumbs down Update

Ordered a pair of Lintaman ADJUST ( V2.1 )with Speedplay carbon sole for $279. Told 4 weeks wait. No problem. Five weeks send an email about order. NO reply. Third email in 10 days receive reply, 10 days out. Two weeks later email about order. No reply. Three emails in a week, no reply. Open Paypal dispute. No answer from Lintaman. Prior to payment, emails answered promptly.

Update: from Paypal - Because we were unable to obtain additional information from Lintathletic Limited regarding your claim, this case has been resolved in your favor and you have received a refund of $279.00 USD. If you paid with a credit card, the money is refunded to your credit card. Please note that it can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.

Lintaman quit answering emails once they received my money and did not even bother responding to the PayPal dispute.
    Last edited by santacruzflyer; 04-25-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: update:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    While I'm still reasonably happy with my Lake MX237 purchase for my CX bike riding, I still wanted something a bit lighter for my road biking. I found out that the Specialized Torch 2.0 is available in a wide version (the Torch 3.0 does not come in a wide version ), so I ordered a pair and they arrived today. If these are the "wide" shoes, I hate to see what the regular width shoes are like!

Actually, the fit seems very comparable to my Lake MX237 shoes, with the exception that the Lakes feel more like soft slippers and the Spec's feel a bit more harsh (likely due to the leather Lake uses.) My toes have a little wiggle room in the Specs, although my pinky toe (little toe) is quite squashed.

As you can see in the comparison photo, both the Lakes and the Specialized shoes still have a somewhat pointy toe box, especially compared to Bonts...

IMG_20190417_145854.jpg

For the money, the Torch 2.0 seems like a "good value", at least compared to what other brands are offering at the same price point. I like the carbon sole with the huge heal pad. The fit & finish is top-notch. I just noticed that there are no drain holes in the soles, however, so riding in the rain is going to be squishy. :shock:

It'll probably be a while before I actually get to wear the shoes as it was snowing here two days ago and is still quite cold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Mine too:
    big toe longest, both big and little toe tip wider than the gal of the foot(or at least not narrower)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Ordered a pair of Lintaman ADJUST ( V2.1 )with Speedplay carbon sole for $279. Told 4 weeks wait. No problem. Five weeks send an email about order. NO reply. Third email in 10 days receive reply, 10 days out. Two weeks later email about order. No reply. Three emails in a week, no reply. Open Paypal dispute. No answer from Lintaman. Prior to payment, emails answered promptly.

Update: from Paypal - Because we were unable to obtain additional information from Lintathletic Limited regarding your claim, this case has been resolved in your favor and you have received a refund of $279.00 USD. If you paid with a credit card, the money is refunded to your credit card. Please note that it can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.

Lintaman quit answering emails once they received my money and did not even bother responding to the PayPal dispute.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    So after over 10 weeks of not answering emails, not answering PayPal dispute, I post on their FaceBook page and get a response the next day:

"Hi Bruce Malone, We definitely failed you on this order, and I am really sorry about the delay and holding up your cash. Not to make excuses but we are small and really overwhelmed with orders/production which leads to gaps in our customer service. Is there any other way I can make it up to you?"

Really? Do they think I am going to send them money, give them a second chance to screw me over again? On their FaceBook page, anybody that has a problem gets the same "we are small and overwhelmed with orders' excuse. but yet not to busy to answer BEFORE they take your money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I can say that my torch 3.0 have an open toe box like my sworks 7s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I just got a pair of the Torch 2.0. Nice shape. Took a few rides to break in, but now they are super comfy!

I've also heard that the Mavic shoes are on the wider side.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123