POC helmet choice
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

POC helmet choice

I know all of the helmets meet the requirements and are deemed "safe," but is one helmet safer than others? I read something that said the Octal, despite not having SPIN/MIPS, was "safer" than some of the helmets with SPIN/MIPS. For example, is the Ventral Air SPIN better than the Omne Air SPIN because it covers more head area, or scored better, or whatever? I am not talking aero or weight or ventilation, but safety and protection.

So, long story short, Octal vs Ventral Air SPIN vs Omne Air SPIN for safety.

Never Give Up!
    I don't know... buy I like my POC octal helmet, so far has been the best fitting helmet I won
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Same here!

I had some Bell, Giro and Specialized helmets and the POC Octal is by far the best fitting, and frankly best finished helmet. I have a giant head and it works. The Specialized didn't fit right and I found the finishing and hardware to be subpar (the to previous top end Giro). Now, I know the Prevail is worn by something like 75% of the peloton, but still, way too much open Styrofoam and thin harness plastics for my taste.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Same here!

I had some Bell, Giro and Specialized helmets and the POC Octal is by far the best fitting, and frankly best finished helmet. I have a giant head and it works. The Specialized didn't fit right and I found the finishing and hardware to be subpar (the to previous top end Giro). Now, I know the Prevail is worn by something like 75% of the peloton, but still, way too much open Styrofoam and thin harness plastics for my taste.
    Super! Thanks for the advice! Iíll tell my husband, maybe such a helmet will suit him too. Now we have a problem to choose the right one

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post
    I read something that said the Octal, despite not having SPIN/MIPS, was "safer" than some of the helmets with SPIN/MIPS.
    Who said that? POC?

I'm sure SPIN helmets are plenty safe and have certain advantages, but to say they're outright safer than MIPS is baloney, as this type of thing is extremely difficult to quantify.