Sidi no longer making narrow
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    903

    Sidi no longer making narrow

    My understanding is that Sidi is no longer offering their road shoes in narrow. I have an old pair of Genius 4 shoes and the tongue is marked 46 S whereas the sole is marked 46. I think I bought the narrow version but that was a while ago. I think the "S" refers to the word for narrow in Italian.

    I was wondering if others who always bought the narrow Sidi shoes, how are they finding the fit of the "regular" Sidi shoes? I would like to upgrade to a Sidi Genius 7 and would probably choose their 46, but wonder if the width will make the shoe feel too roomy for me.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,160
    Find a local stocking dealer where you can try them on before buying them. It may or may not be more expensive buying them that way but you will know that you're getting shoes that fit.

    https://www.ciclista-america.com/sto...Locator-d7.htm

    And, yes, narrow > stretta in Italian
    Too old to ride plastic

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    903
    Normally I would admit that to be good advice. But in today's Amazon world what is true for most merchandise is also true for cycling shoes. LBSs just do not carry the variety of models and sizers anymore. That, and the prices can be double locally from what they are from online retailers.

    Best one can do is find an online dealer who provides free shipping on returns.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,160
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Normally I would admit that to be good advice. But in today's Amazon world what is true for most merchandise is also true for cycling shoes. LBSs just do not carry the variety of models and sizers anymore. That, and the prices can be double locally from what they are from online retailers.

    Best one can do is find an online dealer who provides free shipping on returns.
    I paid a few bucks more when I found a stocking dealer, with a large inventory, but I was able to jump up on a fit cycle and get the cleats mounted and dialed in included in the cost of the shoes.

    It wouldn't hurt to use the dealer locator I posted and make a phone call or two.
    Too old to ride plastic

  5. #5
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Sidi makes narrow shoes? Damn, their normal shoes are pretty darn narrow. I can't wear them.

    A few years ago, my wife couldn't decide whether to get Shimano or Sidi shoes. There was no place around that stocked them both (or either one for that matter). She ordered both from Excel, tried them both on and sent the Shimano shoes back. The return shipping was either free, or minimal.

  6. #6
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    37,271
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    My understanding is that Sidi is no longer offering their road shoes in narrow. I have an old pair of Genius 4 shoes and the tongue is marked 46 S whereas the sole is marked 46. I think I bought the narrow version but that was a while ago. I think the "S" refers to the word for narrow in Italian.

    I was wondering if others who always bought the narrow Sidi shoes, how are they finding the fit of the "regular" Sidi shoes? I would like to upgrade to a Sidi Genius 7 and would probably choose their 46, but wonder if the width will make the shoe feel too roomy for me.
    Was it the left shoe that was marked "S?"

    Because that'd be from the Italian word, "sinestre," meaning "left." Some Italian-manufactured pedals used to be marked "R" and "S."
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

    "Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I paid a few bucks more when I found a stocking dealer, with a large inventory, but I was able to jump up on a fit cycle and get the cleats mounted and dialed in included in the cost of the shoes.

    It wouldn't hurt to use the dealer locator I posted and make a phone call or two.
    All valid points, but even if I can find them locally, it would still be great to hear from riders who have been forced to go from Sidi Narrows to Sidi Regulars. Guessing there aren't too many narrow users out there for me to hear from and probably the reason Sidi stopped making them.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    903
    Both left and right shoes are marked 46 S. Believe Stretto is Italian for narrow.

  9. #9
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    37,271
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Both left and right shoes are marked 46 S. Believe Stretto is Italian for narrow.
    That makes sense.

    As a personal aside, I'm a tad jealous, as I'm at the other end of the foot width distribution (4E), and even the Sidi "Mega" shoes are a little tight for me.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

    "Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    263
    I wear 46 narrow and 45.5 normal. The narrow fit better, prefer to use a thicker insole with the regular as my left foot slips around a bit. My regular shoe is quite old so last size may have changed in the past few years. Can't beat these shows for durability.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by flanman View Post
    I wear 46 narrow and 45.5 normal. The narrow fit better, prefer to use a thicker insole with the regular as my left foot slips around a bit. My regular shoe is quite old so last size may have changed in the past few years. Can't beat these shows for durability.
    Thanks, Flanman as that is the kind of empirical data that I am looking for. Chances are not many of us out there have ever used a narrow Sidi shoe in the first place. Many probably didn't even know they were available as they promoted their Mega shoes prominently. I do have another pair of Giro shoes that I use in a 45.5, so with the Sidi regular last I may need to start down that 1/2 size.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    47
    I am still wearing my Genius 6 narrows. I bought mine from Competitive Cyclist; the gentleman I spoke with was quite knowledgeable about Sidi shoes and he was the one that suggested I try the narrow version when the I was maxxing out the satraps on the regular and still sliding around.

    Also, perhaps a few pairs of Genius 6s are floating around...

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: siclmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    701
    l have always worn narrow shoes and I happened to try on some Fi'zi:k mountain bike shoes with the Boa lace system. Best fit in my life. Worth a try.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    105
    In my experience, Sidi used to run a bit more narrow 20-30 years ago. I wore a Genius for several years that fit my narrow foot quite well, but I'm now wearing the Wire's mainly that don't fit as narrow.
    It's really hard to find any shoe that fit my A width feet. I have custom insoles for bike and street shoes alike. It's annoying how many shoes start at a D width and go up from there, I'm swimming in a freaking D!..If it helps, I am quite happy with two other brands that run well for narrow feet (IMO), the Giro Empire and Fizik R1's are very comfy and well made with fantastic customer service.

Similar Threads

  1. Culprit no longer making frames. Clearance
    By MMsRepBike in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 01:37 PM
  2. Look Keo and Sidi Genius 5 Narrow Shoes - Numb Right Foot
    By MCF in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
  3. need help, chainstay narrow, ti frame, narrow tired
    By cavierider in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
  4. Narrow Sidi's
    By Len J in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 04:33 AM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.