The XL helmet conundrum
    What the what???

The XL helmet conundrum

My Giro Aspect is getting a bit long in the tooth, and the straps are beginning to fray. Thus, I'm in the market for a new lid. The problem, as always, is that while I would like to go helmet shopping at the LBSs, my XL head precludes me from doing so since none of my local shops carry XL sizes in stock (with the exception of Specialized which I've had before). So, I'm relegated to the interwebz. I've narrowed it down to a few mostly because they are available in XL and less than $100:

Giro Syntax
    Bell Falcon
    Giro Savant
    Louis Garneau Majestic
    Bontrager Starvos

Any yays or nays from those who have tried them?
    Last edited by Opus51569; 06-28-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Banned Sock Puppet
    If a Giro fit you before, I would be inclined to go with another Giro.

Keep in mind that different brands of helmets are not only sized different, but may have different shapes too. Giro and Cannondale fit me well while Bontrager had a shape that felt very uncomfortable.

Don't know how Bell are now, but I had a Bell helmet a few years back that had an intolerable whistle whenever I went over 20mph.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I feel your pain. Finding the right helmet is a PITA. Shops have limited models and stock. And you can't try on from the interwebz.

I recently cracked my Giro Savant. It's a great fitting helmet. Nice and light. I loved it. However it's a discontinued model. I couldn't find one in the size/color I wanted.
    If you can find one in your size, you'll probably get a good deal. Beware, Replacement pads are pretty impossible to find.

I replaced it with a Kask Valegro. Fit was pretty similar to the Giro. (I still liked the Giro cage better but the Kask is a close second). And the straps on the Kask are much better.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMWFWPX/
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I feel your pain. Finding the right helmet is a PITA. Shops have limited models and stock. And you can't try on from the interwebz.

I recently cracked my Giro Savant. It's a great fitting helmet. Nice and light. I loved it. However it's a discontinued model. I couldn't find one in the size/color I wanted.
    If you can find one in your size, you'll probably get a good deal. Beware, Replacement pads are pretty impossible to find.

I replaced it with a Kask Valegro. Fit was pretty similar to the Giro. (I still liked the Giro cage better but the Kask is a close second). And the straps on the Kask are much better.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMWFWPX/
    That's a nice looking helmet. I'm going to try to stay under $100 if I can, but I'll keep it in mind.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Lazer Z1 I bought this season and it's the best fitting helmet I've had (beats the Giro easily). It dials from the top and a wire like retainer tightens evenly around the head. Very secure and adjustable. The Z1 is a bit pricey but there is this Blade on Amazon and if it just doesn't fit you can return it. Color choice too !

https://www.amazon.com/LAZER-Helmet-...eb_18414651011

gets good reviews but it all comes down to fit. Doesn't everything?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always need the biggest helmets available. And I've tried a few different ones, but keep coming back to the Specialized Propero as my favourite .. ahem ... least-hated helmet.

though my Bell Stoker fits well too (MTB helmet)
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

What the what???

The XL helmet conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I always need the biggest helmets available. And I've tried a few different ones, but keep coming back to the Specialized Propero as my favourite .. ahem ... least-hated helmet.

though my Bell Stoker fits well too (MTB helmet)
    The Echelon II caught my eye as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Western Bike Works (and whatever their sister company is...something about tires) had a POC Omne Air SPIN for sale for a touch over 100 a few weeks back. I think it was 106 or something. So don't limit the search for MSRP of $100...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just picked up a Giro Savant on Amazon for my son in an XL size, was around $75 shipped. It's the first helmet we've found that fits him well and is comfortable also.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

What the what???
    Excellent. I will add these to the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk