Am I ready for a "real" road bike yet?

Apr 2008

Am I ready for a "real" road bike yet?

Hey, I started riding an old mtb (1999-2000 somethin specialized hard rock?) a few months ago. It had been sitting in the garage forever and I decided to start riding it as my main method of transportation (after i got about 500 speeding tickets, I figured it'd be cheaper than driving). Anyway, I ride it about 10 - 15 miles a day on average, and I'm wondering if it's gonna be worth it to get a "real" road bike. I'm looking at something like a specialized allez, something for around $700 which would be a pretty big purchase for me right now so I don't want to get one unless it's going to be a pretty noticeable change from this mtb. Any good sort of guidlines or whatever for deciding when it's worth it to get a new bike?

It's not easy being green
    The Allez is a great bike for the money and will get you where you are going faster than the mtb. Just keep in mind if you are commuting, the road bike needs a little more preventive maintenance than the mtb and theft if its outside. Tires are more sensitive and pressure will need to be checked a lot more often. For fitness purposes you will have a lot of fun putting in more miles. If you are happy with the mtb, keep riding it for a while and save for a good road bike. If you commute on a mtb bike now, when you finally do get a road bike, you will be flying with a lighter bike.

Jan 2007
    The road bike will be much faster on pavement. While the Allez is a fine bike, you may consider getting a used bike for a couple reasons. 1.) you can get a bike with better components for the money. 2.) If you decide you are not into it, you can sell it and recoup your money.

If you are on a tight budget and just want something faster for commuting, you could consider getting some slicks to put on your mtb. It will role much better withour knobbies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99trek5200
    The road bike will be much faster on pavement. While the Allez is a fine bike, you may consider getting a used bike for a couple reasons. 1.) you can get a bike with better components for the money. 2.) If you decide you are not into it, you can sell it and recoup your money.

If you are on a tight budget and just want something faster for commuting, you could consider getting some slicks to put on your mtb. It will role much better withour knobbies.
    Good advice.

Anti-Hero
    I converted my MTB into a commuter with some trekking handlebars (Harris Cyclery), a rack, and some 1.25" slick tires (Kenda Kwick Roller Sport).
    Caveat on the narrower slicks- I'm used to a really stiff road bike & high tire pressure, so I don't mind the rougher ride that comes with riding the narrow, higher PSI slicks. You may want to stick to some that are 1.5 or 2" wide if you want to be more comfortable over bumps & whatnot. The wider ones are also easier to change tubes on if you flat because you're less likely to accidentally pinch some of the excess tube that you're trying to position inside the skinner tire.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member

Another thought

or some questions, really. What are you looking for? do you want to go faster? Like the maneuverability and quickness of a road bike?

More basic question: Have you tried riding a road bike for any distance? If not, maybe see if you can borrow or rent one that fits, and go for a ride of more than a couple of miles. You need to know whether you will like the feeling -- and especially the body position -- on a road bike, which are quite different from a mountain bike.

You asked whether a road bike would be "a pretty noticeable change" from your MTB. The answer is yes -- but you need to determine whether it's a change you'll like. A road bike is certainly faster and more efficient than a MTB -- especially one with knobby tires. If you ride mostly or exclusively on pavement, it's the way to go, IF you like that style of riding. If you prefer the more upright riding position you've got now, but just want to roll faster on pavement, the slick-tire suggestion already made is good advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    if you ask this question the answer is yes!