Bike Frame sizes across the brands...QUESTION
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Bike Frame sizes across the brands...QUESTION

Keep two things in mind when reading this post: (1) I'm just trying to be a smart shopper with my road bike purchase, and (2) I'm really tall -- 6'8" to be exact.

That being said...I have my eye on a Trek road bike that the storeguy tells me comes in no bigger than a 63cm frame. And he says that'd be fine for me (reminder: I'm 6'8").

I then proceeded to another store where the guys tells me I should look more along the lines of a 65/66 frame (keep in mind, his store doesn't sell Trek's...so we were talking about a Cannondale).

I then went from there and called the first guy (who's trying to sell me the Trek model) and told him I'd been advised against a 63 frame due to my height. His response was that different bike brands measure their frames differently, and that a 65/66 Cannondale is the same pretty much as a 63 Trek model.

I'm posting this b/c I have no idea. I really like the Trek model ... but obviously don't wanna be duped into buying smaller frame than I really need. Can anyone speak truth to me on this one? Here's hoping my post makes sense...

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

I work for a Trek dealer and I sure wouldn't want to sell you a 63cm....

....without you sitting on it first to see how things look. I suspect that it wouldn't be large enough but the proof is in the fitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes...

...from my experience in purchasing my first road bike I found that you really have to look at the geometry of each bike to see if they are similar (I found most weren't). A Specialized Allez Comp in a 54 was very similar to a Felt F65 in a 52.

Say "nuke-u-lar"
    I looked on their respective websites and I saw 63 as largest for both, similar top tube lengths as well. Which model of Cannondale comes in a 65 or 66? At your size you may not do too well with stock sizes, though. Look at Waterford? They've got a good sizing program plus some stock sizes up to 68. Have you used a fit caluclator such as wrenchscience.com has?
    Suum quique.

BBJ
    I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Jun 2004
    Individual fit is the key, and what works for one person may not work for another.

That being said, I am an inch shorter than you, and I ride a 63. Why? Because that is the largest commonly-stocked frame out there. Does it fit? Not really. I think a 66 or 67 would help, and would eliminate the 5 inches or so of drop I have between my saddle and bars.

When I am financially able, I am going to give Mr. Zinn a call, and get one of his custom TI creations built for me, after having a professional fit.

RoadBikeReview Member

Blah, blah, blah..............

None of these other posts are telling you what you need to know. Grab a tape measure, prefferably one with a metric scale, and go measure both bikes. Specifically measure the top tube from center of seat tube to center of head tube, and the standover height, floor to top of top tube. This will tell you how close those two bikes are, and if the guy at the Trek dealer was talking with his mouth, or some other orafice.

Fit is a complex issue, involving more than just height. You need consider length of legs, arms, torso, lower back flexibility, riding style, and other factors as well. Go to the Sheldon Brown website for a good primer on bike fit.