clicking sound

Thread: clicking sound

Mar 2008

clicking sound

must got a specialized bike. 24 gears. 3 in front and 8 in back. i am changing gears, while peddling, and it continues to maked clicking terrible noise. is this typical? or does it need to be greasd? i dont know..how much noise is typical? thanks .

You'll shoot your eye out
    You just need a derailer adjustment. Get it back to your LBS and they'll get you squared away. Most bike shops offer free adjustments for the first year or so. Should take them less than 5 minutes.

Mar 2008
    is it bad for bike to continue to ride that way in the mean time? i will call tomorrow. thanks. any help how gears work, and when to use em?

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    No, you'll be okay.

Bikes and components don't cause fatal accidents except for brakes (and maybe forks, stems and handlebars.)
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Mar 2008
    it just feels like people are thinking i am riding a broke bike. lol what do i ask my lbs to do? about derailers? Do i just let them know i will bring it in for adjustment, or ask if they chargre for it? thanks,,,

Aug 2007
    It could also be the bottom bracket, saddle, pedal spindle, handlebars ect.... I had one of those a while ago. I told my LBS about the clicking sound and got a basic tune on it, which included getting rid of the sound. In my case the Bottom bracket needed to be repacked. I would take it in get a basic tune. Normally, I would say that is a waste of money but in this case it is worth it.

Coffee Lover
    What kind of shifters do you have?

Coffee Lover
    My chain was rubbing on front deraileur and I took it to my LBS. He showed me a "trim" feature to keep the chain from rubbing due to chain cross issues. Try clicking your big or small shifter over slightly (depending on the direction of the cross). The deraileur will move slightly to give the chain some clearance without moving it to the next chainring.

Mar 2008
    shifters are on handlebars. i will try your suggestion.
    i have 06 specialized allez

Coffee Lover
    Are they Shimano Sora shifters?

Mar 2008
    i just purchased bike. so i dont know for sure. i will need to check when i get off from work ,,i will get back with u. thanks