Crank Brothers Quattro pedals and shoes..
    MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Crank Brothers Quattro pedals and shoes..

Will Crank Bros. Quattro SL Pedals (SL because I am 205lbs) reduce hot spots and increase over all comfort compared to SPD Pedals? Also, will the 3-2 Crank Bros. adapter for 2 hole shoes work with standard mtn. biking shoes (i.e. will the cleat be recessed between the sole ridges that an SPD cleat normally sits between)? The shoes are specialized and the sole is about as stiff as possible, but they are mtn. bike shoes..

Lastly, Pricepoint has quattro 4 SL's on sale for $89.99, or a pair of Sette Ximo road shoes and a pair of quattro 4 SL's for $149.....any thoughts?

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Logic would suggest that they might be marginally less prone to hot spots, given that you'll be using the adapter plate, and the pedals themselves are designed to spread load (I never had any evidence they did this, but I never had hot spots either).

The cleats themselves will be VERY like SPD cleats, and as such they'll be recessed on a MTB shoe. I can't see you'd need the adaptors for MTB shoes, though--does anyone make an MTB shoe without a two-hole setup?

The problem with MTB shoes with the Quattros is that the pedal platform is wide enough that it will likely interfere with the tread on your shoes. They're designed to be used with road shoes, after all. You could probably trim the tread and make it work, but I'd be very surprised if you were able to just slap 'em on and ride without doing so.

I liked the Quattros I had OK in use, but the bearings failed on each one within a year, which I found unacceptable--especially since they're designed with a big inboard bearing to prevent failure. Crank Bros. was very agreeable about sending me a rebuild kit, but when the second pedal failed and came apart 20 miles from home on a group ride, I said, "forget it."
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used my SIDI mt.bike shoes with Eggbeater cleats on all my bikes: road, mountain, and cyclocross. That includes eggbeater, Quattro, Candy, and Mallet pedals. That's one of the nice things about the Crank Brothers line.

As for hotspots, the larger platform of the Quattros may help, but it's hard to predict that without trying it out.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Specialized Roubaix Disc / Look 585 / Look 555 / Kona Kapu / Spec Carbon Camber 29er 1x11 / Surly Straggler / Fuji CX / Steel SS

Over 60 bikes owned over the last 20 years!

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Thanks for the replies....

Yeah, I think I would have to trim some of the tread away from the mtn. bike shoes in order for them to work....any thoughts on the shoe combo kit pricepoint has to offer in my original post. Another problem I am experiencing with the SPD pedals I have is that my left foot feels like it wants to fall off the outer edge of the pedal (and I have the cleat in the outward most position to prevent this)...this may be a shoe issue as the cleats are not that adjustable....

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    Yeah, I think I would have to trim some of the tread away from the mtn. bike shoes in order for them to work....any thoughts on the shoe combo kit pricepoint has to offer in my original post. Another problem I am experiencing with the SPD pedals I have is that my left foot feels like it wants to fall off the outer edge of the pedal (and I have the cleat in the outward most position to prevent this)...this may be a shoe issue as the cleats are not that adjustable....
    I don't know anything about the shoes in your original post, so I don't have an opinion.

As to your SPD problem, it sounds to me like you might do well to try some wedges. Google up Lemond LeWedge and read the info, and you'll see what I'm suggesting.

I recommend against moving the cleat in and out to sort out this problem, unless that's specifically what the problem is. The distance between your feet is an adjustment that can be sensitive on some people--if mine's wrong, it gives my knees fits. Now, if moving your cleats in or out helps, then that's another matter, but pay attention to your knees too when you do this.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Mar 2007
    I don't wanna make a new thread so I'll ask in here...

I'm a mountain biker and have CB Mallets and appropriate shoes. I'm thinking about getting a road bike... Can I use those pedals for the road? Or is that a no-no for some reason?

Thx.

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Don't see why not...other than...

Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    I don't wanna make a new thread so I'll ask in here...

I'm a mountain biker and have CB Mallets and appropriate shoes. I'm thinking about getting a road bike... Can I use those pedals for the road? Or is that a no-no for some reason?

Thx.
    The weight...and make sure you keep inside pedal up going around corners. The mallets are pretty big I think and might hit ground if turning through corner and pedaling, but I think this is unlikely...to hit pedal that is...

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Rocket science??

OK, I decided to order a pair of Quattro 4 SL pedals from pricepoint (on sale for $89). The problem is that under FAQ on the pricepoint website, it states that the pedals are compatible with any standard SPD shoe (which I have two pair of and would like to use and have accepted that I might have to cut away some tread on sole of shoe to make it work)....on the Crank Brothers website it states that the pedals come with a three hole cleat and an adapter is available....I am overseas and my wife is currently visiting the states so I want to order them so she can bring them back with her (the pedals are $200 here in Italy....everything is freakin expensive here) so I want to make sure I order the right thing......any help appreciated. Thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you're worried about compatibility, why not order up some Candy Cs instead? They work fine on my cyclocross bike, and have a nice platform to them.

If not, I can tell you from my experience that the cleats that I use with my Quattros.are the same cleats I use for my Mallets - on the same shoe. I have Sidi Dominator 4s, and didn't even need to trim away and of the tread. I use them will all of my bikes, with every model of clipless pedal that Crank Brothers makes.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Specialized Roubaix Disc / Look 585 / Look 555 / Kona Kapu / Spec Carbon Camber 29er 1x11 / Surly Straggler / Fuji CX / Steel SS

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also use Crank Brothers pedals on my bikes (Candy on my mtbs and Quattro on my road bike). I also have a pair of Sidi Dominator mtb shoes and a pair of Shimano mtb shoes and both have the same Crank Brother cleats and can be used on all pedals without any trimming.

BTW, the Quattro does come with an adapter to put on road shoes that are flat. You need that adapter to recess the cleats for a proper interface to the Quattro.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 Cross
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks....performance bike just advised if I want to use the quattro's with mtb shoes, to also get the following cleat:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?sku=22339

Is this the cleat you all are using with your mtb shoes? I am going to order the quattros and the above link (hopefully tonight to make sure they get delivered before my wife heads back to Italy next week)......thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes I use that cleat on my Sidi (the Shimano has the normal cleat), but it is the same as the normal cleat, meaning the same float and release angles. The only difference is that it is made of more durable material. People who move their feet (laterally) a lot should use this cleat because it is more durable.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 Cross
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Yes I use that cleat on my Sidi (the Shimano has the normal cleat), but it is the same as the normal cleat, meaning the same float and release angles. The only difference is that it is made of more durable material. People who move their feet (laterally) a lot should use this cleat because it is more durable.
    Do I even need to order the above cleats or do the pedals come with them along with the plate to be used on road shoes? Performance says the pedals come with three hole cleats so I would assume any cleat(s) that come with the pedals will be worthless to me for now (until I get a pair of three hole shoes), correct?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The pedals come with the standard Crank Brothers cleat, and an adapter for road shoes. Thus, you will not need to order another set of cleats, but it won't hurt to have a replacement, particularly if it will be cheaper for you to get it now before you go back overseas.