cycling caps?

Thread: cycling caps?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

cycling caps?

In the spirit of the "whats with the shorts thread" I was wondering about cycling caps. I've seen pictures of teams posing in their gear but instead of helmets they wear caps. I know these guys aren't riding without helmets, so when does the cap come into play and what does it mean? Is it just a throwback to cycling style of the past? And when is it appropriate to wear one without looking like a total noobsauce?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Some people wear them like helmet liners--- I think they look dorky... but there is not accounting for taste.

goodbye fraudriguez
    The only time I wear a "cap" is when it is raining, under my helmet. The visor helps with the rain and the hat blocks the wind a little. Otherwise, not of much use, although the short brim folds up and will not get blown off when you ride.
    mountaineer

In-House Counsel
    Jul 2005
    I also like to wear them under my helmet when it is cool out.
    -- Jimm --

RoadBikeReview Member

Wear whatever you feel like

Quote Originally Posted by chocostove
    In the spirit of the "whats with the shorts thread" I was wondering about cycling caps. I've seen pictures of teams posing in their gear but instead of helmets they wear caps. I know these guys aren't riding without helmets, so when does the cap come into play and what does it mean? Is it just a throwback to cycling style of the past? And when is it appropriate to wear one without looking like a total noobsauce?
    Yes, they're a "throwback." Before helmets became standard attire, many road cyclists wore those little caps on most rides. Actually, I suspect that a lot of those pro racers still wear them on many training rides. Helmets have only been required in UCI road races for the last 2 or 3 years. Most folks here (including me) advise wearing a helmet on every ride, so the only functional use for a cap is the helmet liner/visor use as noted by others here. But we sometimes wear a cap off the bike, as a nod to cycling tradition. The little visor is often just right to keep the sun out of your eyes, if you think a baseball cap's big bill is overkill.

If you think it looks "dorky," don't wear it. But if you like the feeling of connecting to the old traditions of road cycling, it's cool. Of course, in that instance the only real choice is a Campagnolo cap, and only if you have Campy components. A ShimaNO cap is intrinsically uncool ;-)
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Cat 6
    Good for keeping the sun off the head as well...helmet tan outlines on a shaved head is dorkier than said cap.

Yo no fui.
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    Some people wear them like helmet liners--- I think they look dorky... but there is not accounting for taste.
    I've always thought they look cool, and they're functional. I've never liked those bandanas.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Man, I'm Awesome
    I wear them on lots of rides. I like the snug fit and keeps the noggin from getting burned and the sun out of eyes.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Caps don't supplement helmets...

I am still shocked when I see a group of Italians cruising down a hill at 30mph+ with nothing more than their cycling caps on...not a helmet in the group. Stupid if you ask me...guess the Italians want to show off their 'machismo' before they end up in a wheel chair...now THAT is 'cool'.......

RoadBikeReview Member

they're great in the rain..

much better than trying to see through rain spotted glasses...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Nice, so now i know. I have been intrigued with all things cycling, so it was just a matter of time before I figured out the caps. I'm glad to hear that they are common under helmets because that's exactly what I was looking for
    I look forward to that campagnolo cap to go with the new bianchi frame I bought

RoadBikeReview Member

Si, Si!

Quote Originally Posted by chocostove
    I look forward to that campagnolo cap to go with the new bianchi frame I bought
    Va bene!

Last edited by JCavilia; 04-06-2007 at 07:12 AM.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keeps rain off the glasses.
    When it is cooler, helps to stop headaches from blocking the wind off of forehead.
    When it is sunny, can help relax the eyes by keeping direct sunlight off of them.
    Turned backwards when it is sunny will help to keep the sun off of the back of your neck.
    As a bald guy, it will prevent/limit darth maul sunburn.

Mar 2007
    Anyone know of a website that sells just plain caps. (no teams or sponsors) I'v checked performance and nashbar, but they are all team caps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist4
    Anyone know of a website that sells just plain caps. (no teams or sponsors) I'v checked performance and nashbar, but they are all team caps.

try kucharik

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/stoc...c5c98507538ab5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    Va bene!
    Now that's spooky! The only cycling cap I own is exactly the same as what you're wearing, except that mine is probably older than you are -- I bought it to wear on my old Schwinn "10-speed racer" about 30 years ago during my previous biking life, when that's all that anyone wore.

Nov 2006
    hes not wearing that cap

thats from breaking away.....

MTBR Member
    I scored a cap at a race I did a few years ago. I wear it under my helmet when it is cold outside. Fits under the helmet, and blocks the wind.

I Type, Therefore I Am
    Back when I had hair, I kept one folded up in my seat bag to put on at rest stops to cover up my "helmet hair". Now that I have no hair, I use them under my helmet on rainy days to keep the rain off my glasses. For early morning rides on sunny days when the sun in low and right in your eyes. For cooler days, a little extra warmth (on hot days I prefer headsweats to keep the noggin protected and dry). One of the most useful items for a commuer as we encounter all of these conditions regularly.
    "Wind doesn't suck, it blows." - my friend Bill
    "Knowin' the time ain't gonna get me there quicker" -Fear

Team Tom's
    Hey Mr Wood, is this what you're talking about? http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%3A%20Headgear

I have a dead sexy bald head and think I'm going to need something like this for under my helmet.

Lemur-ing
    I want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

I Type, Therefore I Am
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz
    Hey Mr Wood, is this what you're talking about?
    No. Here they are are Performance. I have solid colour shorties
    http://performancebike.resultspage.c...m&w=headsweats

Nashbar sells the multi colour
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products
    "Wind doesn't suck, it blows." - my friend Bill
    "Knowin' the time ain't gonna get me there quicker" -Fear

Daylight Fading

Caps are cool

I wear them on almost all rides, except when it's too cold and I have to go with a touque under the helmet or on rare occassions when it's too hot/muggy.

I race and ride with them all the time. for me it's a natural visor to block glare, it helps keep my helmet a little more snug, and it's a sweat grabber.

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz