Deep drop bars

Thread: Deep drop bars

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Deep drop bars

Are these for people with big hands, or just to create a lower position?
    I have big (long) hands, but don't want a lower position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by samh
    Are these for people with big hands, or just to create a lower position?
    I have big (long) hands, but don't want a lower position.
    They're good for people who want to have a lower position in the drops, or the same position in the drops but higher when riding on the hoods or bar tops.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979
    They're good for people who want to have a lower position in the drops, or the same position in the drops but higher when riding on the hoods or bar tops.
    HUH?

They're for people with big hands. I can't see how they would give you a higher position when on the hoods or the tops. If you don't have big hands, they might give you a very, very slight lower position when in the drops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    They're for people with big hands. I can't see how they would give you a higher position when on the hoods or the tops. If you don't have big hands, they might give you a very, very slight lower position when in the drops.
    Take two bars, one that has 85mm drop, one that has 115mm. The 115mm drop bars can be set up with the same stem and spacers as the 85mm drop bars. That puts the bottom of the drops 30mm lower, giving a lower position when in the drops but the same on the hoods or bar top. Or the 115mm drop bars can be set up with a stem and/or spacers that are 30mm higher than the 85mm drop bars, which gives the same positiion when in the drops but a higher position when on the hoods or bar top.

Of course differences in shape between the two bars will also affect things like where the brake hoods wind up and exactly where you grab the bars on the drops, but you get the basic idea.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I thought we were talking about bars, not stems & spacers. I don't see any reference to these in your 1st post.

You're Not the Boss of Me

Big Hands? Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    HUH?

I don't know about you, but my hands never touch the tops and the drops at the same time (talk about long fingers!) Deep drop bars have nothing to do with hand size and everything to do with the respective locations of the drops vs. the tops of the bars.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    That's correct. This quick sketch with the differences exaggerated for clarity may make this a bit easier to visualize. The shallow-drop bar is shown darker and behind the deep-drop bar:

1. Tops are the same height. Riding on the drops, the deep-drop bar puts the hands lower than the shallow-drop bar.

2. Horizontal sections of the drops are the same height. Riding on the tops, the deep-drop bar puts the hands higher than the shallow-drop bar.

3. Neither drops nor tops are the same height. The deep-drop bar puts the hands higher and lower than the shallow-drop bars.

You do need to add/take away spacers to get the positions 1,2 or 3. Regarding "large hands:" deep-drop bars have a large radius. When held in the middle of the bend, they don't pinch large hands as much as shallow-drop bars would with their smaller radius.
    Last edited by wim; 12-31-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    That's correct. This quick sketch may make a bit easier to visualize. The shallow-drop bar is darker and behind the deep-drop bar:

1. Tops are the same height. The deep-drop bars puts the hands lower than the shallow-drop bars.

I agree with this.

2. Horizontal sections of the drops are the same height. The deep-drop bar puts the hands higher than the shallow-drop bars.

I don't agree with this at all. It's simply not true if you are considering JUST THE BARS. If you buy a set of deeper drop bars & swap them with what you have, the tops & hoods are going to be exactly the same height. That's what we--at leastI--was responding to. Now if you're going to change the stem, add spacers, ets. then, OK. My point was there was no mention of that. The only thing being considered was the bars.

3. Neither drops nor tops are the same height. The deep-drop bars puts the hands higher and lower than the shallow-drop bars.

See above.

You do need to add/take away spacers to get the positions 1,2 or 3. Regarding "big hands:" deep-drop bars have a large radius. When held in the middle of the bend, they don't pinch large hands as much as shallow-drop bars would with their smaller radius.
    This is true. I have very large hands & use deep drop bars. Modolos are especially comfy for me.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I don't agree with this at all.
    The OPs question was basically "what can deep-drop bars do for me?" My point was to show that deep-drop bars can accomodate his large hands while not lowering his on-the-drops position one millimeter (sketch # 2) - but only if he's willing and able to raise his stem.

You are correct in saying that installing deep-drops without changing his stem height will lower his on-the-drops position. But he doesn't want to do that.
    Last edited by wim; 12-31-2005 at 07:24 PM.