Diamondback bikes? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Thumbs up

Hi JeffReigns, I have been reading your posts and I have got to tell you the Diamondback Podium 2 at $599.00 from Jenson is the best deal going! The Tiagra components, hydro formed aluminum frame, carbon fork makes for a really nice bike! You mentioned you were considering buying on-line, I believe from Jenson. Since I live in southern Ca, I went to their store yesterday and took it for a ride and uncovered some good information. First, the bike comes with pedals that you can clip into, or turn over and ride with tennis shoes. This will save you another $50 bucks. Also Jenson said that when they ship their bikes they are required to do a professional build before sending out to their customers. They then break it down and ship it, but you should feel good about the bike you are receiving. I believe if you go off the Diamondback sizing chart you will be just fine. You can make adjustments as needed to fine tune the bike! Heck, at $599.00 for the quality of this bike you can not go wrong! Let me preface by saying that I too believe taking for a test ride to check approximate fit is probably the ideal way. But given your budget, I see nothing wrong with ordering online and dialing your bike in with a professional fit when your budget allows!
    Last edited by Hottody; 05-08-2012 at 05:49 AM.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Heck, if I didn't already have my bike, I'd be going for that $599 deal!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I'm telling you, the bike looks Amazing in person. The Hydroformed frame and clean welds give the illusion of a carbon bike at first glance! Normally... one does not see these kinds of discounts on bikes retailing for around $1,000. Discounts of this magnitude are usually are reserved for last years carbon and higher end bikes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottody View Post
    I'm telling you, the bike looks Amazing in person. The Hydroformed frame and clean welds give the illusion of a carbon bike at first glance! Normally... one does not see these kinds of discounts on bikes retailing for around $1,000. Discounts of this magnitude are usually are reserved for last years carbon and higher end bikes!
    I was offered $750 for 12' Podium 3. I did saw Nashbar had same bike for around $800 for a while. In history, Podium 2 and 3 were discounted very often. I did not ride on either of them but am doubt about their resell value.

Quote Originally Posted by netseraph View Post
    I was offered $750 for 12' Podium 3. I did saw Nashbar had same bike for around $800 for a while. In history, Podium 2 and 3 were discounted very often. I did not ride on either of them but am doubt about their resell value.
    If you buy a bike based on its resell value, then you're doing it wrong.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Wow! This thread is still going on, I'm surprised!

I disappeared for awhile, but thats what moving 3000 miles across country will do to you ;)

I was going to go with the Raleigh... but after I sat down and compared the components and the prices(625 for the Revenio 2 with Sora vs. 599 for Podium 2 with Tiagra and most identical/better components) I went for the Podium. I have to say that so far, its been pretty awesome. Before I ordered I did end up taking the measurements from the other bikes that I tried and compared it and it was close to two that I tried and liked.

I would have more to say but I've only put a few miles on it so far... I'm a little scared to ride too far from home because all I have right now is a helmet! I still need to grab up a patch kit, water bottles, shoes and jerseys/shorts. Also sunglasses.

What it all came down to for me was this(and what everyone on here told me) - its a FIRST bike. I'm going to want something better eventually, no matter where I buy the bike... at least this way I got a little more bike for my money.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffReigns View Post
    Wow! This thread is still going on, I'm surprised!

I disappeared for awhile, but thats what moving 3000 miles across country will do to you ;)

I was going to go with the Raleigh... but after I sat down and compared the components and the prices(625 for the Revenio 2 with Sora vs. 599 for Podium 2 with Tiagra and most identical/better components) I went for the Podium. I have to say that so far, its been pretty awesome. Before I ordered I did end up taking the measurements from the other bikes that I tried and compared it and it was close to two that I tried and liked.

I would have more to say but I've only put a few miles on it so far... I'm a little scared to ride too far from home because all I have right now is a helmet! I still need to grab up a patch kit, water bottles, shoes and jerseys/shorts. Also sunglasses.

What it all came down to for me was this(and what everyone on here told me) - its a FIRST bike. I'm going to want something better eventually, no matter where I buy the bike... at least this way I got a little more bike for my money.
    THAT's the way to do it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Hey, I'm a brand new rider as well, I bought a Podium 2 for about $600 about two months ago as my first ever road bike (I had been commuting on a $150 hardtail mt bike) and I absolutely love the bike and the sport in general. I bought it mostly because of the price, I knew I wanted "paddle shifters" and a carbon fork and have now learned some of the ins and outs of Sora
    I work in an exercise physiology lab, so several co-workers have helped me out with fit and advice. One thing that I learned is my seat had to come up about 2.5 inches! It felt waay too high at first, but then you get used to it. Basically go higher than you think, and see if you can find a friend who knows something about hikes.

I have no idea how many miles I've ridden so far, but it's probably in the 200-400mi range. I haven't cleaned or re-lubed the chain at all, and it's starting to get a little grime-y. My co-worker told me I should degrease and re-lube the chain about once a week.

Since I'm on a pretty tight budget as well, my plan for buying more stuff is as follows: I just ordered a $20 bike computer with cadence from nashbar.com (Cannondale something-or-other), then when I get paid next I'll get some hybrid commuter/SPD pedals online. The pedals I'm looking at are flat on one side and have SPD things on the other, since I commute a lot and don't want to have to put bike shoes on if I'm just going to the grocery store. Then I'll buy shoes next (probably at a real store so I can try them on first). Eventually I'll get another pair of padded shorts, and a jersey, and I might get rid of the CO2 inflator in favor of a small hand pump that I can mount to the frame.

Also, a different co-worker gave me some sweet race tires because he broke his femur and they are really slick and fast. And I got some tips as to how to replace a tube and tires, which I highly recommend learning at home so you don't get stranded.

So far one of the best pieces of advice I've picked up from this forum was not to sweat ultra high end components at first, its better value and much easier to lose 5lbs than to spend a ton of money on something that saves you 500 grams.

Also, smile all the time when you ride :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Oh and get a helmet and a water bottle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Thank you Southpaw57! I should be getting my Diamondback Podium 2 this weekend from Jenson! Thank you for the great tip, I two am about 6'2 230 lbs. Nice to know about the seat. Thank you!!!!
    Hey! What size frame did you get? 58 cm? 60 cm?

I have about the same physical size as you and was wondering what size you got and whether it works well. I have been able to comfortably ride on 58s and 60s and was just curious to hear your thoughts/experiences. I should be able to stop by Jenson's this weekend to see how it is in person..

thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    You know, the bike I ordered was a 58 and not at the Jenson Store in Corona. They did bring it in though a week or so ago and I test road the bike, and it felt generally pretty good. I just decided to go with a 105 equipped Scattante R570 from Performance Bike, as it is on sale for $899. Also, they offer 10% back in store credit with lifetime free adjustments. The effective price becomes around $799. So... for a couple hundred bucks more, with 105 and a 60mm frame I'm going that direction. Also Performance allowed me to put on layaway which allowed me to get a slightly better equipped bike.

Now...the Diamondback looks great and the best deal I've seen on a Tiagra Bike! Also, Jenson has some great deals on bikes not advertised on their site and the guys are very helpful. Going into the store and taking it for a quick spin is a great idea! Have the guys give you honest feedback on whether the bike fits you. Have fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    You know, the bike I ordered was a 58 and not at the Jenson Store in Corona. They did bring it in though a week or so ago and I test road the bike, and it felt generally pretty good. I just decided to go with a 105 equipped Scattante R570 from Performance Bike, as it is on sale for $899. Also, they offer 10% back in store credit with lifetime free adjustments. The effective price becomes around $799. So... for a couple hundred bucks more, with 105 and a 60mm frame I'm going that direction. Also Performance allowed me to put on layaway which allowed me to get a slightly better equipped bike.

Now...the Diamondback looks great and the best deal I've seen on a Tiagra Bike! Also, Jenson has some great deals on bikes not advertised on their site and the guys are very helpful. Going into the store and taking it for a quick spin is a great idea! Have the guys give you honest feedback on whether the bike fits you. Have fun!
    Thanks for the quick response and advice! This is my first road bike, so I don't need anything exceptionally fancy, especially since I am unsure whether I will be using the bike a lot one year from now! I almost pulled the trigger on a podium 1 (2012) on amazon for $700 until I saw the podium 2. I only looked on amazon because i have $600 worth of gift cards I have amassed over the past year. I haven't been able to find anything other than the 2012 podium line and a few schwinns on the site. I will check out the one you picked up!

Thanks again! I am interested in hearing how your new bike works out for you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Yes..I understand as this is my first Road bike as well. I can't tell you how much research I have done, and getting the Podium 2 with Tiagra is a smart choice! If you really get into biking, you will appreciate the reliability and functionality of Tiagra vs Sora. I have to tell you, the Diamondback is a $1,000 bike for $599! The bike has a higher end hydro formed aluminum frame, carbon forks and reliable components! The bike looks even beter in person! If in a year you want to sell the bike, you should be able to sell for close to what you paid for it! Good luck, I'm so excited about getting into this sport, as running is a bit hard on my joints! Also, Temecula seems like a great place to ride! Have fun with it! I too will be interested on how things work out for you y2nicco.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I'll surely keep you posted! I actually just ran across the podium 3 (2012) for $900 on amazon (on sale for 1k at Jensons with retail price of 1.2k). It seems to be comparable to the Scattante you bought, seeing how it has 105 instead of Tiagra components. Would you agree?

It is the same price as the Scattante (except no concessions like 10% back) but as I said, I have a ton of amazon gift cards, which would bring the bike to $300. I ordinarily would use the gift cards for something else but I dont need anything so whatever I get with the card, aside from a bike, will be an impulse buy! Thanks for your thoughts - I know you are new to road biking but you seem to know your stuff!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I will say that you will not regret the Podium 2. I just recently got around to getting the rest of the stuff I needed(shorts, jersey, bottles+cages, flat kit, sunglasses) and took it on a 8 mile ride the other day. I had no problems, was pretty awesome. Cant wait to ride again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffReigns View Post
    I will say that you will not regret the Podium 2. I just recently got around to getting the rest of the stuff I needed(shorts, jersey, bottles+cages, flat kit, sunglasses) and took it on a 8 mile ride the other day. I had no problems, was pretty awesome. Cant wait to ride again!
    Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like a great bike. I am going to Jensons to check the bike out tomorrow and see what they recommend for me. Keep enjoying it - I cant wait to start enjoying mine!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Hi y2nicco, I look forward to hear how it goes for you! Wow, $900 for a Podium 3? NICE! I would say the Podium 3 may be a slightly better equipped bike than the Scatante, with a better frame! I did notice that the welds on the Diamondbacks are really very clean and well done! Better than the Scattante in my humble opinion. I did notice that the Podium 3 has a low spoke count, and many will say; bigger riders should go with a spoke count of at least 32 to help keep the wheel true. Of course, I would consult your local bike shop, LBS, on the subject. The forum is also a great place to ask questions and seek information!

It's great your going to Jenson! Try a few bikes and have fun with it, as most will tell you the "fit" of your new bike will be as important, if not more than the bike itself! My advice is get a bike that fits within your budget because you will likely want to get more gear, ie; helmet, shorts, jersey ect.

Many will tell you go 105 if you can afford it because it's allot cheaper than upgrading components latter. that said, I believe a Tiagra is a solid reliable group set, especially for weekend riders that don't plan on big time racing! Also, note, that 2011 Tiagra is 9 speed as opposed to 2012 Tiagra which is 10 speed like 105. Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

Find a bike, no mater what it is, that you will get excited about riding. May sound silly, but you should like the way the bike looks and makes you feel. Again, have fun...finding a new bike and researching the details of the bike, components and gear has been a blast for me.
    Last edited by Hottody; 05-25-2012 at 09:59 PM.

banned
    Oct 2011

Find a bike, no mater what it is, that you will get excited about riding. May sound silly, but you should like the way the bike looks and makes you feel. Again, have fun...finding a new bike and researching the details of the bike, components and gear has been a blast for me.
    +1,000,000,000!!

That's the truth! Aesthetics plays a huge role in the enjoyment of cycling (and many other things, as well)- Someone who isn't into serious racing, probably wouldn't notice any performance difference between a $700 bike and a $2300 bike....but if they choose the one that they love (Love to look at; love to ride; love to sit on; love the feel of...) vs. one that's a "good bike", but which doesn't excite them emotionally.....that will make a HUGE difference, regardless of the price or weight, etc.

Sounds like a few people in this thread got some great deals on some fine bikes!

Kudos to you guys, and ENJOY!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Good points SolitaryRider! I believe that I won't be racing, but I know how aesthetics play a role in my life. Even if you drive a crapy car, it feels better when it's clean! I just pruned, weeded and mowed my yard this morning! Afterwards, a took a few back back and thought, "that looks good"!

I'm buying a bike within my budget that looks good to me, and gets me excited about riding! A good bike is like a good wine, it's one that good to you!

Solitary, what are you riding?

banned
    Oct 2011

Solitary, what are you riding?
    I have a $300 Mercier Galaxy SC2 from Bikesdirect......

I wanted something cheap, as I hadn't owned a bike for decades, and didn't know if I'd stick with it- or how I'd fare on these rural roads out here in the middle of nowhere, when I was used to riding in the city/suburbs when I was younger.....

Performance-wise, I'm very happy with this bike.

I remembered when I was looking to buy, it seemed that a lot of the bikes I was looking at were only available in colors/schemes that didn't appeal to me. This bike is like a candy-apple green, and I love it. I was to the point where I was going to go for a slightly more expensive bike from the same website...but tyhe more expensive one was only available in white or black, or something...and just didn't appeal to me.

I will likely upgrade next year, since I love cycling and am racking-up the miles....but I know that such is not a necessity- but just to improve asthetics. I know that going from this 25 lb. bike to say a 19 or 20 lb. one will likely make nowhere near the difference that me losing 25 pounds since i started riding, has made....

But I'll just be getting better aesthetics. Like, for instance, on my bike, the stem is really cheesy. For some reason, having a quality stem to look at, even though it will not make a dime's difference in the bike's handling...will just make me "feel" better..... Ditto the cheap-looking Sora shifters, with their cheesy plastic gear indicators and thumb tabs. They work just fine...no complaints.....but, having better quality ones would just be nice. Although it seems hard to justify spending maybe $1000 more for such things....I think the cumulative effect of having a nicer bike with nicer components will add up to an even better riding experience. (I've got my eye on the Motobecane Le Champs....)

I figure it's kind of like cars..... I love my 3/4 ton 4x4 extracab truck. Don't really "need" to drive it 90% of the time....could get by with a car that gets good gas mileage instead of 13MPG...but I just love driving the truck, and don't want to drive anything else. I love the way it drives; I love being seen in it (Probably doesn't impress anyone, as it's a '99...)..I love that it's big and tall and I can see over all the cars.....it's comfortable....it's just me...so I gladly spend more to drive something I love. (I'd even bought a little car that got good gas mileage a while back...but never drove the darn thing. It'd get me from point A to point B just fine, and cheaply...but it just wasn't me...and wasn't any fun...didn't give me that good feeling...wasn't something that'd make me say "That's beautiful" when I looked at it- I felt like a schlub driving it...I felt like a member of a herd that I didn't belong to, and that I'd be ashamed to be identified with)

Such things are important. I'd never go into debt to have a nice car or a bike or even a fancy house...but when it comes to things I can afford to buy outright, I try and get the ones I really like....and lucky for me, that does not mean the ones that are in vogue/popular or the most expensive.....

Well.....I'll bet this was more info than you ever wanted!

[Hottody: "I'll never ask HIM a simple question again!"]

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryRider View Post
    I have a $300 Mercier Galaxy SC2 from Bikesdirect......

I wanted something cheap, as I hadn't owned a bike for decades, and didn't know if I'd stick with it- or how I'd fare on these rural roads out here in the middle of nowhere, when I was used to riding in the city/suburbs when I was younger.....

Performance-wise, I'm very happy with this bike.

I remembered when I was looking to buy, it seemed that a lot of the bikes I was looking at were only available in colors/schemes that didn't appeal to me. This bike is like a candy-apple green, and I love it. I was to the point where I was going to go for a slightly more expensive bike from the same website...but tyhe more expensive one was only available in white or black, or something...and just didn't appeal to me.

I will likely upgrade next year, since I love cycling and am racking-up the miles....but I know that such is not a necessity- but just to improve asthetics. I know that going from this 25 lb. bike to say a 19 or 20 lb. one will likely make nowhere near the difference that me losing 25 pounds since i started riding, has made....

But I'll just be getting better aesthetics. Like, for instance, on my bike, the stem is really cheesy. For some reason, having a quality stem to look at, even though it will not make a dime's difference in the bike's handling...will just make me "feel" better..... Ditto the cheap-looking Sora shifters, with their cheesy plastic gear indicators and thumb tabs. They work just fine...no complaints.....but, having better quality ones would just be nice. Although it seems hard to justify spending maybe $1000 more for such things....I think the cumulative effect of having a nicer bike with nicer components will add up to an even better riding experience. (I've got my eye on the Motobecane Le Champs....)

I figure it's kind of like cars..... I love my 3/4 ton 4x4 extracab truck. Don't really "need" to drive it 90% of the time....could get by with a car that gets good gas mileage instead of 13MPG...but I just love driving the truck, and don't want to drive anything else. I love the way it drives; I love being seen in it (Probably doesn't impress anyone, as it's a '99...)..I love that it's big and tall and I can see over all the cars.....it's comfortable....it's just me...so I gladly spend more to drive something I love. (I'd even bought a little car that got good gas mileage a while back...but never drove the darn thing. It'd get me from point A to point B just fine, and cheaply...but it just wasn't me...and wasn't any fun...didn't give me that good feeling...wasn't something that'd make me say "That's beautiful" when I looked at it- I felt like a schlub driving it...I felt like a member of a herd that I didn't belong to, and that I'd be ashamed to be identified with)

Such things are important. I'd never go into debt to have a nice car or a bike or even a fancy house...but when it comes to things I can afford to buy outright, I try and get the ones I really like....and lucky for me, that does not mean the ones that are in vogue/popular or the most expensive.....

Well.....I'll bet this was more info than you ever wanted!

[Hottody: "I'll never ask HIM a simple question again!"]
    nice long answer, kinda like what I am going through now.
    I keep changing my mind on what I reallt "need" or "want"

banned
    Oct 2011
    I guess it's a matter of what you're used to/comparison, too. I mean, compared to the single-speed boat anchors and department-store 10 speeds I had as a kid...this $300 BD bike is the best bike I've ever had...but after seeing all the bikes on threads like these.....I want a better one!

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LAW.S.T View Post
    nice long answer, kinda like what I am going through now.
    I keep changing my mind on what I reallt "need" or "want"
    I think bikes are a lot like cars, in the sense that you never truly know what you have till you've lived with it for a while. Some people put a lot of emphasis on going to the LBS for test rides...and that can be a good thing... but I know that you don't REALLY get the feel of a bike until you've lived with it. [More so for inexperienced riders like myself]

I think too, that how one bike feels will also be dictated by what you're used to riding....

To me, I think one just gets used to what they have- anjd maybe over time, after owning several different ones, they hit upon one that just really stands out; one that really "clicks" with them.

I'd imagine, for recreational riders, such as myself, the differences between bikes isn't even that critical- as long as they all fit well. Which is why I agrtee with Hottody, that getting what appeals to us is probably one of the biggest factors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I enjoyed reading your post. Great analogies you posted SolitaryRider! I bought an 2003 Saab Convertible used, because I could pay cash for it, and it made me feel good when I drove it! Like you, I'm sure others were not so impressed but it makes me feel good! Of course the relatives tell me I should have bought a Toyota or something along those lines, but I figured if I was going to spend around 7 grand for a car, I should enjoy it. For some, the enjoyment comes from a car like a Toyota that is practical and reliable. I suppose... like with a bike, one should find something that appeals to ones personal sensibilities.

Your points are good... one can buy something that is inexpensive and or in budget and get more enjoyment then spending more money just because you can!

banned
    Oct 2011
    Thanks, Hottody!

You sound just like me....we can have some fun and get some enjoyment out of even the seemingly mundane aspects of our lives [A car is more than just transportation; a bicycle is more than just an exercise device]....and yet remain practical and keep a nice balance!

That Saab convertible does sound like a fun car.....especially if it's a stick!

We only pass this way once......ya GOTTA get some enjoyment out of the things ya buy and the things ya spend a good deal of your time using! (The nice thing about paying cash for stuff, is that you tend to realize the value of money when you actually hand a pile of cold hard cash over to someone...so you tend to be more careful/put more thought into what you're buying. Toyotas might be decent cars...but I just can't imagine anyone getting excited about them! I've never yet heard anyone say "Gee, honey, I'll be glad to go to the store, it'll give me a chance to drive the new Corolla!" )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast