Diamondback bikes? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Well quess what Solitary, my Sabb is a stick! And yes...that makes it so much more fun! To funny!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Interesting thoughts here, so I wanted to comment on a couple...

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryRider View Post
    I think bikes are a lot like cars, in the sense that you never truly know what you have till you've lived with it for a while. Some people put a lot of emphasis on going to the LBS for test rides...and that can be a good thing... but I know that you don't REALLY get the feel of a bike until you've lived with it. [More so for inexperienced riders like myself]
    I think both are true. Even to the inexperienced, test rides offer the opportunity to get a sense for the fit/ feel, ride and handling of a bike - albeit to a limited degree.

Still, I think the effort is worthwhile, because (if nothing else), it gives the consumer an opportunity to sift through the field and make an educated buying decision. S/he might not know every nuance of the chosen bike, but there's a chance the test rides gave them some insight on how it compared to others.

I think too, that how one bike feels will also be dictated by what you're used to riding....
    IME there's no question this is true. My first 'serious' road bike was a mid-80's Bianchi Limited, with the requisite Italian race geo, thus twitchy handling. Between the tight handling, leather saddle and plastic bar tape, today's bikes ride like limo's, so when I read posts with members complaining about the ride quality of the current crop, I chuckle. It's all relative, as they say....

To me, I think one just gets used to what they have- and maybe over time, after owning several different ones, they hit upon one that just really stands out; one that really "clicks" with them.
    Generally, I agree. That Bianchi I mentioned was a tad too big for me, so it never felt quite right. That said, I don't think I got used to it as much as I lived with it. Settled, in other words. My next bike was a high end custom steel, and the overall differences in fit, ride and handling were stark.

I'd imagine, for recreational riders, such as myself, the differences between bikes isn't even that critical- as long as they all fit well. Which is why I agrtee with Hottody, that getting what appeals to us is probably one of the biggest factors.
    Aside fro aesthetics (which I agree carry a level of importance) the essentials of getting the right bike are it meeting a riders intended uses and matching the right geo to a given rider (fit). No 'buying up' is going to substitute getting those two right, so I often say I'd prefer riding a well fitting Sora equipped bike than an ill fitting DA equipped bike.

Lastly, the term recreational riders is very broad. I know fairly casual recreational riders that log maybe 50 miles (or less) weekly, while the avid among us log a couple of hundred, plus. But truth be told, the differences even a few thousand (dollars) can make doesn't translate into 'that much' of a performance increase. So, as another poster mentioned, oftentimes it becomes a question of want versus need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I think bikes are a lot like cars, in the sense that you never truly know what you have till you've lived with it for a while. Some people put a lot of emphasis on going to the LBS for test rides...and that can be a good thing... but I know that you don't REALLY get the feel of a bike until you've lived with it. [More so for inexperienced riders like myself]

I think too, that how one bike feels will also be dictated by what you're used to riding....

To me, I think one just gets used to what they have- anjd maybe over time, after owning several different ones, they hit upon one that just really stands out; one that really "clicks" with them.

I'd imagine, for recreational riders, such as myself, the differences between bikes isn't even that critical- as long as they all fit well. Which is why I agrtee with Hottody, that getting what appeals to us is probably one of the biggest factors.
    Oh dear, that means you might be immune to upgratis ?
    I have unfortunately carried over some bad habits from building PCs so I am pretty fickle about parts

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LAW.S.T View Post
    Oh dear, that means you might be immune to upgratis ?
    I have unfortunately carried over some bad habits from building PCs so I am pretty fickle about parts
    No, no! I'll likely upgrade to a better bike next year- if for no other reason, just to experience the difference. I think I'll have a good idea of exactly what I want, from having logged some miles on my cheapo bike. I just hope that after spending the moolah....I experience enough of a difference to think it was worthwhile......

Hey, I have a friend who's worth millions...and he rides a $149 Wal8Mart bike- so I feel like I'm ahead of the game with my $300 bike already!

banned
    Oct 2011
    PJ, I remember those steel bikes from the 70's and 80's..... I was almost going to buy a retro bike before I discovered BD. Glad I didn't, now! The differences between those bikes and today's bikes is a good illustration of how seemingly small differences add up to a whopping improvement. It's because of that, that I can imagine that maybe the difference between my cheapo bike and something like a le Champ might be about the same jump in quality.

(It almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about, doesn't it? Well...I guess it must be from reading all of your posts!)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    After going back and forth between the 2011 podium 2 for $600 or the 2012 podium 3 for $900, I opted for the former. The only problem is that the biggest size available in the 2011 model at this time is 58cm and being 6'3", that is slightly small. However, I think I could swap out the stem for a larger one and make up for the difference.

One of the employees at Jenson's told me that people do that all the time so I am not too worried about it. Luckily, there is a carbon fiber Easton stem from a few years ago that is selling for $30 or so dollars (with a $200 msrp!!) so that should be a good upgrade

The only thing is that I will probably end up buying it from Sportchalet, unless any of you have any good reasons for me to avoid a big box store like that. The only reason I opted for them is because I can get a 2 year service warranty for $40 which gives me four free tuneups and extends all the manufacturer warranties by 2 years... Seems like a good idea!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Diamondback bikes

We have a new bike shop in Newton, Iowa that sells Diamondback bikes and took one for a 20 miles test ride and really liked it. I can't remember the exact model but it was a $1200.00 bike msrp and the shop owner said he would sell it to me for $950.00 I was interested in the bike but another store which sells trek had a deal going for new buys that allowed 12 months no interest with minimum monthly payments so..... money is the bottom line and I went with the 2011 Giant TCR Advanced. A big step up from the Diamondback AND the the no interest. I really wanted to keep the purchase local but...

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wilyrh3 View Post
    We have a new bike shop in Newton, Iowa that sells Diamondback bikes and took one for a 20 miles test ride and really liked it. I can't remember the exact model but it was a $1200.00 bike msrp and the shop owner said he would sell it to me for $950.00 I was interested in the bike but another store which sells trek had a deal going for new buys that allowed 12 months no interest with minimum monthly payments so..... money is the bottom line and I went with the 2011 Giant TCR Advanced. A big step up from the Diamondback AND the the no interest. I really wanted to keep the purchase local but...
    You financed a BICYCLE?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Podium 3

I think you are absolutely correct in going with the bike that fits you well and the Podium 3 with Shimano 105 is AWSOME! This is all most amiture riders will ever need! As far as buying from the Big Box guys, I say go for it if this is the bike you want.

Good luck, you are buying a fantastic bike with a really solid, good looking frame! Add the 105 components to the mix and you are getting A GREAT DEAL! Congratulations, and let me know if you need or want anymore feedback!

Cycling induced anoesis
    You financed a BICYCLE?
    When I look back on both the physical and mental benefits cycling has made on my life, I can honestly say I wouldn't hesitate to take out a loan to buy a bike if need be.

As always, YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    That's cool, I would love to hear how and why you got into biking PJ352. What bike you bought, and your basic story. I know it's asking allot, but if you have time to write a couple paragraphs I'm sure allot of us new guys would be inspired I love to hear your story!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottody View Post
    That's cool, I would love to hear how and why you got into biking PJ352. What bike you bought, and your basic story. I know it's asking allot, but if you have time to write a couple paragraphs I'm sure allot of us new guys would be inspired I love to hear your story!
    Appreciate the interest, but honestly, I've read far more inspiring stories here than mine.

Basically, at around the age of 27 and smoking for ~10 years I wasn't feeling great. Managed to quite smoking, but then gained about 25 lbs. and found that I wasn't feeling great (obviously, for a different reason).

Decided that it was in my best interest to lose some weight and improve my cardio fitness. Since I was on my bike constantly as a kid, it seemed the logical choice. The rest (as they say) is history.

I'm ~40 lbs. lighter than I was back some 28 years ago and have been logging just shy of 6k miles annually for the last few years. Through the years, I've found that mental challenges cycling poses have been as beneficial to me as the physical. Thus, my comment that I'd finance a bike if need be.

BTW, I 'started' my adult fitness riding on my mid 60's Schwinn Continental, purchased new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thank you Pj352. Very inspiring and great to know some of the details of your story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    yeah, i financed a bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wilyrh3 View Post
    Good job on getting the bike you want! Or at least one that'll keep you happy. That's a great bike!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottody View Post
    I think you are absolutely correct in going with the bike that fits you well and the Podium 3 with Shimano 105 is AWSOME! This is all most amiture riders will ever need! As far as buying from the Big Box guys, I say go for it if this is the bike you want.

Good luck, you are buying a fantastic bike with a really solid, good looking frame! Add the 105 components to the mix and you are getting A GREAT DEAL! Congratulations, and let me know if you need or want anymore feedback!
    How are you enjoying your R570? I saw it at performance the other day and it was very nice! I actually ended up buying a 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6 that I picked up from REI for 580 after using accumulated dividends. It was being clearanced and they gave me a proper fitting and determined what my size was, which made me more comfortable considering I was going to buy the Podium online without a fitting.

The bike will be ready for pick up next week and I am excited! I haven't found many reviews on that model but hopefully it works out Plus, REI's guarantee is a big plus..

I look forward to hearing how your new bike is treating you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234