Diamondback bikes?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Diamondback bikes?

I had an older forum post where I asked this question but it seems like we've been hijacked and all the older stuff just redirects. Anyway...

I ran across a deal on a new Diamondback Podium 2 for $599. The only downside is that its online. Does anyone have any experience with these? From the reviews on the site it seems like a good deal but before I did anything I just wanted to be sure. Full Tiagra components and everything... seems like a killer deal.

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    Me personally, I would never buy a bike online. And I would never buy a bike without having a test ride. If you've been in the sport a while and you know the size you need then MAYBE but if you are new to the sport then it's not the best of ideas.

About the bike, it's not full tiagra components. The shifters, derailleurs and cassette are, but the chain is FSA, the crank is generic and the brakes are as well. A lot of the other components are generic including the wheels. Having the tiagra shifters and derailleurs is nice and they perform well but the wheels can affect the ride quality quite a bit.

So if you are looking to really get into road biking then I don't think fits a great buy. For a little more you can get an entry level specialized, felt, giant, trek... If you are looking for just an occasional ride then I think you're buying too much bike. The Podium 2 is just not good enough to be a solid entry level bike and too expensive to collect dust in the garage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Aren't most bikes in this price range going to have the same generic components?

The problem is I'm not going to be able to go very much over 600. So even if I was to walk into a LBS and buy something it'd be along the lines of a Trek 1.1, Felt Z100, etc. Are these bikes really that much better?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffReigns View Post
    Aren't most bikes in this price range going to have the same generic components?

The problem is I'm not going to be able to go very much over 600. So even if I was to walk into a LBS and buy something it'd be along the lines of a Trek 1.1, Felt Z100, etc. Are these bikes really that much better?
    They are if they fit well, and IMO you'll better those odds by buying from a reputable LBS. Besides, 'better' components don't make you ride more comfortably or efficiently (or maybe just more) , but fit will, so... priorities.

IMO if it's solid advice you're looking for, Torch provided it. But if you want someone to tell you what you want to hear, wait a bit. There are several members here who buy based on price alone and will tell you to buy online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    No I definitely trust you guys and I really appreciate the advice. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money and it did seem like a pretty good deal.

I actually had one lbs shop today recommend that I buy something with downtube shifters as the sora/2200 sti shifters do not function anywhere close to the ones above(verbatim quote).

It's just confusing

Cycling induced anoesis
    No I definitely trust you guys and I really appreciate the advice. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money and it did seem like a pretty good deal.

I actually had one lbs shop today recommend that I buy something with downtube shifters as the sora/2200 sti shifters do not function anywhere close to the ones above(verbatim quote).

It's just confusing
    It can be both confusing and overwhelming, but if it's any consolation, we've all been through similar.

Re: the shifters, as you go up the product line there are enhancements and refinements, but I don't agree with that LBS employee re: d/tube shifters versus 2300/ Sora. STI's offer the advantages of integrated shifting/ braking along with the ability to do both with hands positioned at the bars. IMO/E that isn't just marketing hype - the benefits are real.

Beyond that, once set up/ tuned correctly, 2300/ Sora perform and function fine. There are a lot of recreational riders logging a lot of miles on these groups, without problems.

As far as the DB bike is concerned, I think they're nice bikes. If you want to maximize your dollars spent, but still safeguard your interests in sizing/ fit, as I mentioned in your other post, why not get a fitting from an LBS, then compare the test bike geo to the DB sizes. The closer the numbers, the closer your fit will be to that of the test bike.

Including the cost of the LBS fitting, you'll spend a little more, but probably still less than buying from the LBS. That method might prove your best compromise.

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    Cycling... if you are really going to do it, can't be done on a budget. It's just not in the cards. You don't need to spend $10,000 on a bike and all the extras, but you can't spend $600 either.

A Trek 1.1 or a Specialized Allez can be had for $750 and that is about as low as I would recommend for an entry level bike. You still need to buy a helmet, some clothing and pedals and shoes are highly recommended. When you are all said and done, to get into cycling plan on spending about $1500 at a minimum. A budget of $2000 will get you all the bike you need for 4-5 years and all the accessories to go with it. Not top of the line stuff, but not bargain basement either and what you can get will perform well and you will be happy with. Plus, when you buy the bike at the LBS, then you (typically) get the support of the LBS and expertise of people who know the sport. Granted not all LBS are great, but that's a whole different topic.

If you are not prepared to spend the case then go to the nearest Dick's, or Sports Authority and buy yourself the most expensive road bike on the shelf. You'll save $300 and it will gather dust just as effectively as the $600.

I don't mean to sound harsh or elitist. I'm not. If you can hang on my wheel I don't really care about the name brand on the bike or how much you spent on it. But I've seen a lot of new riders over the years try to do this for the bare minimum and they end up wasting their money so I am just trying to save you the same experience.

Diamondback is owned by Raleigh. The Podiums are very nice bikes for the price. I wouldn't hesitate to ride a Podium 2.

As for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by torch511 View Post
    About the bike, it's not full tiagra components. The shifters, derailleurs and cassette are, but the chain is FSA, the crank is generic and the brakes are as well. A lot of the other components are generic including the wheels. Having the tiagra shifters and derailleurs is nice and they perform well but the wheels can affect the ride quality quite a bit.

So if you are looking to really get into road biking then I don't think fits a great buy. For a little more you can get an entry level specialized, felt, giant, trek... If you are looking for just an occasional ride then I think you're buying too much bike. The Podium 2 is just not good enough to be a solid entry level bike and too expensive to collect dust in the garage.
    You can ignore pretty much everything this guy wrote. He obviously doesn't know that Diamondback is owned by Raleigh and is sold in bike shops. He doesn't think a Tiagra bike is good enough for entry-level (*snort!*) He doesn't know that FSA makes the crank and has never, ever made chains, and is generally just spouting off complete misinformation.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    Yes, I know that Diamondback is made by Raleigh, and yes, You can find some models in bike stores. You can also find some in department stores.

Yes, I know that FSA makes bike components. They make some really good ones. But like all major component manufacturers, has different products for different price points.

I think, and I stated, that the Tiagra component set is awesome for the price. I recommend it highly. I have a bike with Tiagra/105 that served me very well for many years, and the Tiagra groupset has gotten better since the iteration my my bike. I only made a comment about it as the OP posted the components were Full Tiagra. The bike as sold by Diamondback, is not.

I still say the Podium 2 fills a needless gap. Too little to be a serious entry level road bike and too much to be a department store bike.

I think the Podium 3 is a much better bike than the 2 and would not hesitate to recommend it if someone were so inclined, but IMHO the 2 is just not worth the $$$.

Funny, I sell a lot of Scott Speedster S30s - with Tiagra - at an MSRP of $1049.99. The Podium 2 looks like a pretty good deal.

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Cycling... if you are really going to do it, can't be done on a budget. It's just not in the cards. You don't need to spend $10,000 on a bike and all the extras, but you can't spend $600 either.
    Yes you can.

A Trek 1.1 or a Specialized Allez can be had for $750 and that is about as low as I would recommend for an entry level bike.
    And both of those bikes are lower-end than the Podium 2.

If you are not prepared to spend the case then go to the nearest Dick's, or Sports Authority and buy yourself the most expensive road bike on the shelf. You'll save $300 and it will gather dust just as effectively as the $600.

I don't mean to sound harsh or elitist. I'm not. If you can hang on my wheel I don't really care about the name brand on the bike or how much you spent on it. But I've seen a lot of new riders over the years try to do this for the bare minimum and they end up wasting their money so I am just trying to save you the same experience.
    Maybe you don't mean to, but you do. This is some of the most judgmental, elitist crap I've read on the board in a long time.

banned
    Jul 2011

I agree with Torch and PJ, now. I bought on-line once. It sits nicely on the trainer.

If you like the Diamondback they sell them at Dick's. I would not presume a great deal of knowledge there or any fitting skill, but better than on-line. FWIW, the component packages on them look good and having seen them at Dick's, they look nice.

Slightly Opinionated
    You're actually sounding like a tool.

You can likely replace "Diamondback" on that frame with any other manufacturer and a bunch of people (just like you) would come out of the woodwork going "That's a great price, DERP!"

For a guy who literally has refused to spend more than $600 on a bike, this is a good compromise. If he enjoys cycling enough, he'll be buying another bike ANYWAY, so the initial small investment is worth it. If he hates it, he can probably craigslist it and get a fair chunk back.

The idea that every beginner has to be on something from Trak or SpecialEd is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Alright guys, lets keep it friendly.

For the past 12 years I've been playing music and I completely understand the point torch511 is trying to make. My situation however severely limits my budget... I would love nothing more than to go get a Trek 2.1 or something else with 105.

Let me explain...

Me and my girlfriend live together(this is usually enough). She's a nurse. Last year she took an interest in travel nursing(for those unfamiliar, travel nursing involves going to different hospitals around the country who are short on staff, usually for 12-13 weeks at a time). If I could find work at all my budget would be a lot higher... however this isn't the case, and the money I'm spending is entirely my own money(because I'm not going to be that guy anymore than I already am).

So yeah, I know $600 isn't a whole lot when it comes to bikes. However, I'm sure that it'll get me something that will be 'good enough' to start on. If I end up liking the sport(and I'm sure I will), I'll be spending more money later to buy something nicer... once I have a job of some sort.

For the past 12 years I've been playing music and I completely understand the point torch511 is trying to make. My situation however severely limits my budget... I would love nothing more than to go get a Trek 2.1 or something else with 105.

Let me explain...

Me and my girlfriend live together(this is usually enough). She's a nurse. Last year she took an interest in travel nursing(for those unfamiliar, travel nursing involves going to different hospitals around the country who are short on staff, usually for 12-13 weeks at a time). If I could find work at all my budget would be a lot higher... however this isn't the case, and the money I'm spending is entirely my own money(because I'm not going to be that guy anymore than I already am).

So yeah, I know $600 isn't a whole lot when it comes to bikes. However, I'm sure that it'll get me something that will be 'good enough' to start on. If I end up liking the sport(and I'm sure I will), I'll be spending more money later to buy something nicer... once I have a job of some sort.
    And this is why I'm telling you to jump on that Podium 2. You aren't going to find another Tiagra bike that inexpensively for a while. Tiagra is only one step below 105, so you could ride that bike for a while and then skip ahead to Ultegra or SRAM Rival when you get your next bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Another thing that really concerns me about buying online is fit. I've never been fitted before so at this point I'm sure I could get close with the charts that are available online but will it be perfect? Probably not.

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    I have a question. Is there a reason why you need a road bike? What kind of cycling do you intend on doing, and have you shopped used bikes locally like on craigslist.

I say why a road bike because there are some excellent hybrids in your price range. The big price advantage really comes with what you don't need with them. A bike and a helmet, maybe a minipump, tube or patch kit and a water bottle and you are good to go. If you don't have a specific reason for needing a road bike then it's something to think about.

Buying used is hit or miss but I know tons of people that have gotten a great deal. If you know what size bike you need you can find the occasional deal on craigslist. Disclaimer: I've had good and bad experienced both buying and selling on craigslist. It is what it is.

Also, it might take a little leg work but scouring LBS for overstock/last years deals can get you a good deal from time to time. 2011 inventory is probably a little thin right now though but it never hurts to keep an eye peeled.

And to those of you who offer different opinions, that's great, but just because your's is different does not mean someone else's is wrong.

banned
    Jul 2011

Let me explain...

Keep in mind that you need more than the bike. Helmet, shorts, gloves, preferably a jersey or two. Saddlebag, spare tube, CO2 inflator, bike tool. All of that stuff can be bought on-line. (Although I would prefer a helmet in store to make sure it fits and feels good). None of that has to be expensive but it adds to the cost.

Just keep it in mind before spending the whole budget on the bike.

Another thing that really concerns me about buying online is fit. I've never been fitted before so at this point I'm sure I could get close with the charts that are available online but will it be perfect? Probably not.

It's amazing that anyone ever had a bike that fit them, if you believe all of the marketing BS about fitting. Here's a secret from a bike shop owner: bike fittings are a money-making load of crap created to make people think they need to spend money to get the right size of bike.

I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam. I can ride a 52cm with a longer stem with no problem. I can ride a 54cm with no problem. I can ride a 56cm with no problem. Think about it... if you're in between a 54 and a 56, that's 2 cm. Take a look at how much 2 cm really is. Is that difference going to *really* be noticeable? Replace the 100mm stem with a 110mm and you've gained 10mm of that back without effecting the handling of the bike.

Believe me... general fit guides are usually good enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Keep in mind that you need more than the bike. Helmet, shorts, gloves, preferably a jersey or two. Saddlebag, spare tube, CO2 inflator, bike tool. All of that stuff can be bought on-line. (Although I would prefer a helmet in store to make sure it fits and feels good). None of that has to be expensive but it adds to the cost.

Just keep it in mind before spending the whole budget on the bike.
    I'm aware. I also need a nice bike rack, because as it is our cars are packed tightly.

I have a question. Is there a reason why you need a road bike? What kind of cycling do you intend on doing, and have you shopped used bikes locally like on craigslist.

I say why a road bike because there are some excellent hybrids in your price range. The big price advantage really comes with what you don't need with them. A bike and a helmet, maybe a minipump, tube or patch kit and a water bottle and you are good to go. If you don't have a specific reason for needing a road bike then it's something to think about.

Buying used is hit or miss but I know tons of people that have gotten a great deal. If you know what size bike you need you can find the occasional deal on craigslist. Disclaimer: I've had good and bad experienced both buying and selling on craigslist. It is what it is.

Also, it might take a little leg work but scouring LBS for overstock/last years deals can get you a good deal from time to time. 2011 inventory is probably a little thin right now though but it never hurts to keep an eye peeled.

And to those of you who offer different opinions, that's great, but just because your's is different does not mean someone else's is wrong.
    I would like to one day be able to go out and do a century ride, in the meantime it would be awesome to go for 15-30 mile rides. When I first got the bug I did look into hybrids but I found out that I'd 'outgrow' one of those fairly fast.

I was considering craigslist, but again the problem is fit. I'd hate to roll up and completely waste someones time if the bike is too small/too big. As far LBS inventory goes, where I'm at location-wise right now theres only 2-3 bike shops in the area, and the ones I've been to have had no used inventory. One of them was actually trying to sell me a $1400 Scott carbon bike even after I told him my budget(When I work I do sales, good way to lose my business). I am going to be in a bigger area in a few days for a few days(Baltimore) so I'm going to go check out some shops around there and see what they have to offer.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    It's amazing that anyone ever had a bike that fit them, if you believe all of the marketing BS about fitting. Here's a secret from a bike shop owner: bike fittings are a money-making load of crap created to make people think they need to spend money to get the right size of bike.

I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam. I can ride a 52cm with a longer stem with no problem. I can ride a 54cm with no problem. I can ride a 56cm with no problem. Think about it... if you're in between a 54 and a 56, that's 2 cm. Take a look at how much 2 cm really is. Is that difference going to *really* be noticeable? Replace the 100mm stem with a 110mm and you've gained 10mm of that back without effecting the handling of the bike.

Believe me... general fit guides are usually good enough.
    Gotta break with you on this one, Platy. Just because you're willing to live with the requisite compromises that come with varying frame size by up to 4cm 's (1/2 that being huge in terms of bike fit) doesn't make it good advice for others to follow.

I know from experience it would never work for me, because stem length adjustments alone don't fully correct for rider position/ front/ rear weight distribution, and that (IMO/E) is the single most important aspect to fit and handling. I've ridden bikes one size off (2cm's) and they never felt quite right.

I wouldn't suggest the OP (or noobs in general) opt for a pro fitting from the get-go, but (assuming a reputable shop/ fitter), the results of a standard LBS fitting are far better than someone sizing from a chart and fitting themselves.

OP: You're right to be concerned with fit, but I've previously posted options you could employ to better your odds of getting sizing (then fitting) right with the DB. Once you get to Baltimore, shop around and be upfront with the LBS's about your situation and budget. You might find a shop willing to work with you on this, especially if they see you as a prospective customer, albeit for the short term.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I did actually make some calls to a few shops that are a little farther from me...

A few of them have Raleigh bikes, any info on these? I tried looking on RBR for reviews as well as elsewhere and I couldn't find much, which makes me a little weary about considering them. Anyway, just from chatting on the phone the one fellow was willing to give me a pretty good deal on some of them(Ravenio 1/2).

Cycling induced anoesis
    I did actually make some calls to a few shops that are a little farther from me...

A few of them have Raleigh bikes, any info on these? I tried looking on RBR for reviews as well as elsewhere and I couldn't find much, which makes me a little weary about considering them. Anyway, just from chatting on the phone the one fellow was willing to give me a pretty good deal on some of them(Ravenio 1/2).
    No worries, Raleigh are fine bikes and going this route will get you sizing/ fit assistance. If possible, take some time to check them out.

Taking a quick look at the specs, the Revenio 1 has a chromoly (steel) fork, 8 speed Shimano 2300 drivetrain and triple crankset, while the 2 has a Cf/ steel fork, 9 speed Sora drivetrain and a compact crankset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Will move this post to the correct location.
    Last edited by Bulldogs78; 04-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogs78 View Post
    ...looking into getting a mountain bike.
    This is road bike review. I think you want...
    Mountain Bike Review

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast