Emonda ALR 4 DISC 2020 VS Emonda SL 5

Hellooo my friends

Iam Slamet Teng
    I wanna ask about EMONDA ALR 4 DISC 2020 VS Emonda SL 5

Which is better?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned Sock Puppet
    My question is what do you consider "better"? It's all a matter of what you consider important in a bike. What type of riding do you do? Do you ride in rain or wet roads? If so, disc brakes are an advantage. If all your riding is on dry paved roads, rim brakes are fine.

My advice would be to test ride both bikes if you can. Buy the one you like the feel of better and buy the one that fits you better.

Here are the two bikes:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-disc/p/28953/

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-sl-5/p/24219/
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    My question is what do you consider "better"? It's all a matter of what you consider important in a bike. What type of riding do you do? Do you ride in rain or wet roads? If so, disc brakes are an advantage. If all your riding is on dry paved roads, rim brakes are fine.

My advice would be to test ride both bikes if you can. Buy the one you like the feel of better and buy the one that fits you better.

Here are the two bikes:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-disc/p/28953/

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-sl-5/p/24219/
    I ride on all situation, how about the high level alumunir ALR 4. Is better than carbon SL 5?

Thank you

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamet Teng View Post
    I ride on all situation, how about the high level alumunir ALR 4. Is better than carbon SL 5?

Thank you
    Don't get too focused on frame material. There are great aluminum and carbon frames and there are lousy aluminum and carbon frames. Some say that carbon has better damping of road vibrations than aluminum. In reality, frame geometry and tires have way more impact on ride comfort than frame material choice.

If you ride in all situations including rain and wet roads, I would go with the disc brake bike - the EMONDA ALR 4 DISC. If your riding is mostly on dry paved roads and you only occasionally get caught in rain, I would go with the Emonda SL 5 as it also has a better groupset (Shimano 105 11spd) than the EMONDA ALR 4 DISC (Shimano Tiagra 10spd).

"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Don't get too focused on frame material. There are great aluminum and carbon frames and there are lousy aluminum and carbon frames. Some say that carbon has better damping of road vibrations than aluminum. In reality, frame geometry and tires have way more impact on ride comfort than frame material choice.

If you ride in all situations including rain and wet roads, I would go with the disc brake bike - the EMONDA ALR 4 DISC. If your riding is mostly on dry paved roads and you only occasionally get caught in rain, I would go with the Emonda SL 5 as it also has a better groupset (Shimano 105 11spd) than the EMONDA ALR 4 DISC (Shimano Tiagra 10spd).

I also think that you should not focus on the frame material. This is far from the most basic indicator. Lombard is right, he offers really good options

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019

Thank you so much Man

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamet Teng View Post
    Thank you so much Man
    You're welcome, Slamet! And welcome to RBR!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    You're welcome, Slamet! And welcome to RBR!
    Okaayyy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    If you ride in all situations including rain and wet roads, I would go with the disc brake bike.
    I get caught in the rain more than I would like and I have NEVER, not once been let down by my rim brakes. Maybe if I were doing long and winding descents in the pouring rain on dirty roads I would be more interested in discs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Disks are way better on wet roads even if it isn't raining, cause your brake tracks get wet and dirt/sand sticks to them. If you ride wet, disks the only way to fly.
    But I live where there are hills & MOUNTAINS. If you live on the coast or flats, maybe you could get by without.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Disks are way better on wet roads even if it isn't raining, cause your brake tracks get wet and dirt/sand sticks to them. If you ride wet, disks the only way to fly.
    But I live where there are hills & MOUNTAINS. If you live on the coast or flats, maybe you could get by without.
    Thank you sir

But, have u try Emonda Alr 4 DISC?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Thank you sir

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I get caught in the rain more than I would like and I have NEVER, not once been let down by my rim brakes. Maybe if I were doing long and winding descents in the pouring rain on dirty roads I would be more interested in discs.
    My thinking is that if you often ride in rain with rim brakes, your rims will wear concave a lot sooner.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I have owned both and ridden both and discs are clearly superior when riding tricky or significant descents in wet conditions. Rim brakes are lighter by a pound or two and the groupsets and parts tend to be simpler and cheaper. Like all things with bikes, it all comes down to personal preference. Ride what you like and donít judge other folks for liking something else. Itís pretty simple if you stay in that mindset really. OP, try them both if you can. Both are great bikes, but we canít possibly tell you which one you will like more. Only you can figure out that part. Both are nice bikes though. One is not ďbetterĒ than the other overall. They are just different. Figure out what you like better. Thatís the key.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The SL5 will have a better ride probably because it's a carbon frame. This matters if you have rougher roads. If you have great smooth roads or run wider tires it becomes less important. Personally I would go with the 11 speed 105 bike because of the groupset, and would just put wider tires on it to get the ride I want. Disc brakes, great if they are hydraulic - mechanical ones suck, I would prefer rim brakes over them.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    The SL5 will have a better ride probably because it's a carbon frame. This matters if you have rougher roads. If you have great smooth roads or run wider tires it becomes less important. Personally I would go with the 11 speed 105 bike because of the groupset, and would just put wider tires on it to get the ride I want. Disc brakes, great if they are hydraulic - mechanical ones suck, I would prefer rim brakes over them.
    Thank you sir