Entry Level Bike?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020

Entry Level Bike?

Hello All,
    I am thinking in buying a new entry level bike with a price range between $2000 and 3000. Currently I looked to Schwinn Fastback AL Claris and Vilano Tuono 2.0.
    Wants to use the bike mainly in road and sometimes off-road but smooth off-road.
    So with those assumptions can you give me advice and recommendations on the best bike to buy?
    Last edited by Npowel; 1 Week Ago at 05:10 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hmmm, that's a lot of money to throw at a sport that you may not even like...

consider getting something used/cheaper for a starter bike.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Neophyte
    So you've mentioned looking at 2 bikes that cost only a few hundred dollars, but that your budget may be $2000-3000. That's really all over the map, and even though posting in Beginner sub-forum implies you haven't done a lot of serious riding it might still be good to mention how much you've ridden in the past and what's piqued your interest in getting a new road bike.

While Oxtox's sentiment does make sense where you shouldn't go spend a ton of money if you are totally unsure... you also don't want to purchase a piece of junk that's going to help make the experience no fun from the start. For most people, $2000-3000 is a ton of bike. You can get a new bike (which includes a warranty and often some free service from shop or discounts on accessories) for much less that will be essentially the same quality with slightly heavier components. But you may want to aim higher than the two models you mentioned so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    A bike that fits and handles like you want it to is far more important than what bike it is. For example, a CAAD is a good bike in that price range. But it would be a horrible bike if you were not looking for a race type bike with a fairly aggressive fit.

Find a bike shop with a good reputation for fitting people on bikes and a decent selection.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    A bike that fits and handles like you want it to is far more important than what bike it is. For example, a CAAD is a good bike in that price range. But it would be a horrible bike if you were not looking for a race type bike with a fairly aggressive fit.

Find a bike shop with a good reputation for fitting people on bikes and a decent selection.
    ^^^This.^^^
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Note to the original poster: A $3000 bike is NOT an 'entry level bike". It is an 'expensive bike'.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

What the what???
    Sounds like you're looking for a "gravel" bike (mostly on road, some off road use). Even the low end of your budget will give you a really solid bike. You can start with your local LBSs if you like them. Or, you can search the web. Best Gravel Bikes of 2020 should give you a lot of options to consider.

Either way, though, go back to the LBS and test ride the bike before you buy. That's the biggest piece of advice I could give you at this point. Comfort is just as important as any components or options you may be looking at.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Sounds like you're looking for a "gravel" bike (mostly on road, some off road use). Even the low end of your budget will give you a really solid bike. You can start with your local LBSs if you like them. Or, you can search the web. Best Gravel Bikes of 2020 should give you a lot of options to consider.

Either way, though, go back to the LBS and test ride the bike before you buy. That's the biggest piece of advice I could give you at this point. Comfort is just as important as any components or options you may be looking at.
    Not sure I get "gravel bike" as a need from the OP's description. Obviously gravel is very popular at the moment, but most "endurance" geometry road bikes these days take 30-32mm tires. Heck, most race bikes will take a 28mm. Maybe not optimized for off-road conditions, but certainly service-able. I've ridden plenty of "gravel" on 23mm, let alone 28mm.

I think if the OP wants to mostly do road, they might be better served by a traditional road bike with some 28mm tires. But that is just me. If the proportion of road vs. off-road gets closer to 50/50, then maybe a gravel or cyclocross bike might be a better choice to have the versatility to go with some fat rubber.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Npowel View Post
    Hello All,
    I am thinking in buying a new entry level bike with a price range between $2000 and 3000. Currently I looked to Schwinn Fastback AL Claris and Vilano Tuono 2.0.
    Wants to use the bike mainly in road and sometimes off-road but smooth off-road.
    So with those assumptions can you give me advice and recommendations on the best bike to buy?
    First off -- A $2k-$3k bike does not have an 8-speed Claris group on it. That's really low end Shimano components.

Second -- I don't consider $3k to be an expensive bike. I usually spend around $1000 on a set of wheels. Go into any bike shop and a mid level bike with Shimano Ultegra is going to run around $2500. The last bike I put together was $6k.

Third -- If you buy a road bike, one of two things will happen within a year
    a. Its gathering dust in your garage because you realized that biking just isn't your thing
    b. You've fallen in love with biking, and while the bike you have is OK, you're lusting after a wunderbike , and won't be complete until you buy it

So one way or another, that first bike isn't what you're going to want to be sitting on next summer. With that in mind, it's probably not wise to blow $3k on your first bike, but it's also not a good idea to spend $300 on a POS that will turn you off to cycling. So go to a real bike shop. They are over priced, but you get some advice and you get to try different bikes out -- not that a test ride is really that useful. But it will avoid you unknowingly buying something that doesn't fit very well, which will turn you off to riding. Buy something entry level. An entry level bike at a decent bike shop won't be something you buy at WalMart.

Lastly -- Don't buy a hybrid. I'm a longtime bike commuter. Over the years, I've had co-workers say they want to bike commute, but don't know what bike to buy. I tell them to buy a road bike since they'll be riding on the road. Invariably, they buy a hybrid. Within a few months, they've either given up, or are bugging me about what road bike they should buy. The great thing about a hybrid is that you can ride on-road, or off-road on one. The drawback is that it doesn't do either one very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Npowel View Post
    Welcome to the Road!
    I'd suggest buying new, and the highest spec carbon Road Bike you can afford.
    Trek Domane, Scott Addict RC, Orbe Orca,, Giant Defy. ect...
    Beware your size and intended use, and you'll have no regrets.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Welcome to the Road!
    I'd suggest buying new, and the highest spec carbon Road Bike you can afford.
    Trek Domane, Scott Addict RC, Orbe Orca,, Giant Defy. ect...
    Beware your size and intended use, and you'll have no regrets.
    You forgot the Cannondale Synapse.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You forgot the Cannondale Synapse.
    I certainly left out many a great bike . The Syn, indeed a nice riding bike, no doubt.

I hear quality bikes are tight supply. New 20-21 models are going at full retail, and steep discounts on 18/19 have been grabbed.

Time to buy is now. I definitely want to hear about Npowel' $3000 road beauty.
    How long before the verdict?