Finally joined the darkside and got my first road bike. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,873
    Back in '94 (?) when I bought my first road bike (with 8 speed STI 105) the nest step up looked so nice with polished parts instead of boring grey painted. What I didn't get was that some bits were marked 600 and some Ultegra...

    Nice bike!

  2. #27
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,003
    Quote Originally Posted by forge55b View Post
    great buy to get into the sport.....

    and to the two that are kind of thread jacking......you guys are NERDS!
    I don't see it as threadjacking, but you're entitled to your opinion.

    Sometimes the choice comes down to letting an inaccuracy lie or calling someone on it. In this instance, I chose the latter.

  3. #28
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,003
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Back in '94 (?) when I bought my first road bike (with 8 speed STI 105) the nest step up looked so nice with polished parts instead of boring grey painted. What I didn't get was that some bits were marked 600 and some Ultegra...

    Nice bike!
    And the Sheldon Brown (RIP) link I provided should answer that.

  4. #29
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,873
    Yeah, I saw that now. Those interwebs were not so readily available back in '94.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ProdigalCyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    There's no question that I'm right, and (as I've posted) the 'evidence' proves it. If you doubt it, post pics of 6 or 7 speed Shimano 600 STI's. Bet you don't.


    Look dude... give it up! You are WRONG!

    I don't need to post a pic of 6 or 7 speed 600 STIs because any moron knows that STI didn't come out until AFTER 8 speed came out.

    This whole discussion started because someone asked if Shimano 600 had STI... they asked the question DIRECTLY RELATING to the component groupo on the bike in this thread. The component groupo on the bike in this thread is Shimano 600 Ultegra but THE QUESTION WAS asked wether 600 had STI meaning the 600 IN THIS THREAD because the poster that asked the question was asking about what they saw in the pictures of the bike IN THIS THREAD because what they saw on the components in the pictures IN THIS THREAD said 600.... NOT.... 600 Ultegra. I answered the question and I said yes it did. And you wanted to be a tool and start arguing about scemantics etc and try to make yourself look all smart.... I then posted a picture of the shifters that match the set of components on the bike IN THIS THREAD. And even then you feel the need to argue a point you have already lost.

    So quit being a tool and bringing up 6 and 7 speed 600 because 6 and 7 speed 600 was out of production 5+ years before this bike was ever produced... So that arguement does NOT apply to the bike IN THIS THREAD or the question that was posed and that I answered, yet the components still say 600 on them and that's what people called them. They did not start really referring to the second tier Shimano as Ultegra until Ultegra was the moniker that was printed on the freaking components.

    I know FULL well that Shimano 600 was actually Shimano 600 Ultegra at the time this bike came out... and I stated such in MY FIRST POST in this thread. But the question was asked wether 600 had STI and the poster that asked the question was asking if the 600 in the pictures had STI probably not knowing that at the time 600 and Ultegra was the same thing. I answered the question as simply as possible and you went and started diluting the arguement with useless information.

    So let me make this simple....
    Question: Did the component set in the origional pics have STI as an option?
    Answer: YES it did


    Is that simple enough for you? Because that is what the question intended to mean, by my estimation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you get a chance... follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason' at http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/

  6. #31
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,003
    Quote Originally Posted by ProdigalCyclist View Post
    Is that simple enough for you?
    If you want simple, here's simple:

    The Shimano 600 group (notice the absence of the word Ultegra) was never offered with STI's.

    I realize you see this as an inconvenient truth (but it is fact), so feel free to rant on.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    Quote Originally Posted by ProdigalCyclist View Post
    Look dude... give it up! You are WRONG!

    I don't need to post a pic of 6 or 7 speed 600 STIs because any moron knows that STI didn't come out until AFTER 8 speed came out.

    This whole discussion started because someone asked if Shimano 600 had STI... they asked the question DIRECTLY RELATING to the component groupo on the bike in this thread. The component groupo on the bike in this thread is Shimano 600 Ultegra but THE QUESTION WAS asked wether 600 had STI meaning the 600 IN THIS THREAD because the poster that asked the question was asking about what they saw in the pictures of the bike IN THIS THREAD because what they saw on the components in the pictures IN THIS THREAD said 600.... NOT.... 600 Ultegra. I answered the question and I said yes it did. And you wanted to be a tool and start arguing about scemantics etc and try to make yourself look all smart.... I then posted a picture of the shifters that match the set of components on the bike IN THIS THREAD. And even then you feel the need to argue a point you have already lost.

    So quit being a tool and bringing up 6 and 7 speed 600 because 6 and 7 speed 600 was out of production 5+ years before this bike was ever produced... So that arguement does NOT apply to the bike IN THIS THREAD or the question that was posed and that I answered, yet the components still say 600 on them and that's what people called them. They did not start really referring to the second tier Shimano as Ultegra until Ultegra was the moniker that was printed on the freaking components.

    I know FULL well that Shimano 600 was actually Shimano 600 Ultegra at the time this bike came out... and I stated such in MY FIRST POST in this thread. But the question was asked wether 600 had STI and the poster that asked the question was asking if the 600 in the pictures had STI probably not knowing that at the time 600 and Ultegra was the same thing. I answered the question as simply as possible and you went and started diluting the arguement with useless information.

    So let me make this simple....
    Question: Did the component set in the origional pics have STI as an option?
    Answer: YES it did


    Is that simple enough for you? Because that is what the question intended to mean, by my estimation.
    You like yelling at people.






    .....and you're very opinionated.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    108
    I was runing the same shimano 600 group you had with Sora shifters. It was the cheapest option for me. Loved it while i had it

    Nice bike

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    31
    After some cleaning and fine tuning, I finally took this baby out for a nice 30 mile ride on the SART this morning. Had to do a minor adjustment to the stem, as I felt I was leaning forward too much. After that I rode it all the way to Anza park and a few miles past the park until I reached the construction zone and made the turn back. So far I'm quite happy with the purchase. Thanks everyone for the comments!!

  10. #35
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,003
    Quote Originally Posted by d1zzl3 View Post
    After some cleaning and fine tuning, I finally took this baby out for a nice 30 mile ride on the SART this morning. Had to do a minor adjustment to the stem, as I felt I was leaning forward too much. After that I rode it all the way to Anza park and a few miles past the park until I reached the construction zone and made the turn back. So far I'm quite happy with the purchase. Thanks everyone for the comments!!
    That's the nice thing about those quill stems... easy (and quick) up/ down adjustments.

    Glad you're 'out there' enjoying your bike.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38
    Nice clean bike! Congratulations.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1

    I own the exact same bike!

    I bought the exact same type of Univega roadbike back in 1994 in New Hampshire. I believe originally I paid roughly $500.00 for it and it is still in like new condition. Although I've owned and ride the bike quite a bit, I've never stayed abreast of specific language. After joining and reading the posts here I have a few questions:

    What is meant by carbon tubed and aluminum lugged? Also, I have never changed any of the components on the bike which are all original (Shimano). I've also read that the stem can be elevated. What is the adjustment for that and, on this type of frame, could the head and the fork be replaced with a different type of component to make the bike somewhat lighter? Also, what would be a recommended better seat for the bike?

    Thanks for any help that can be offered.

    Butch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey View Post
    As I mentioned above there is nothing wrong with Sora.....New Sora shifters vs early 90's 600 shifters of unknown mileage and care.......I'd take new Sora....

    Remember when you read forums like RBR, we tend to be snobs....It's the same in photography forums and audio forums.....There is high end and there is perfectly acceptable for the vast majority of people... there isn't a minimally acceptable road group.

    There are plenty of riders that ride thousands of miles per year on Sora, Tiagra and 2300....The groups perform just fine.....

    If you enjoy this sport and want to continue, think about upgrading.... but having Sora on a bike isn't going to diminish your riding experience

    Personally I love the bike you bought,.....I have a couple of carbon tubed, aluminum lugged bikes and love them

  13. #38
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13,003
    Quote Originally Posted by ButchB View Post
    I bought the exact same type of Univega roadbike back in 1994 in New Hampshire. I believe originally I paid roughly $500.00 for it and it is still in like new condition. Although I've owned and ride the bike quite a bit, I've never stayed abreast of specific language. After joining and reading the posts here I have a few questions:

    What is meant by carbon tubed and aluminum lugged? Also, I have never changed any of the components on the bike which are all original (Shimano). I've also read that the stem can be elevated. What is the adjustment for that and, on this type of frame, could the head and the fork be replaced with a different type of component to make the bike somewhat lighter? Also, what would be a recommended better seat for the bike?

    Thanks for any help that can be offered.

    Butch
    Carbon tube/ alu lugs just means that the tubes forming the triangle(s) - top tube, down tube, seat tube... are bonded to aluminum lugs (that intersect those tubes)

    Quill stems can be raised by loosening the center bolt (at the top) and tapping it to drop the internal wedge that holds it in place, freeing it. On older bikes that haven't been maintained it's common for the stem to 'freeze' in place. A couple of drops of oil/ lube at the point where the stem enters the headset may help, but if you're unsure of how to do this bring the bike to your LBS.

    Re: upgrades to headset/ fork, both are possible, but I'd weigh the benefits with the cost before doing so. If the headset is functional, I'd consider overhauling it (disassembling/ cleaning/ relubing).

    1" threaded CF forks are available, but if you were going to do that upgrade, I'd consider also upgrading to a threadless fork and change over to a more current stem/ spacer setup. But honestly, on a bike like yours, I'd only do one for one (like) replacements as is necessary and consider a new bike if you want more current technology. Nothing at all wrong with what you now have, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. My first road bike is finally here!
    By g-dawg in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2009, 02:59 PM
  2. Finally joined the ranks...
    By MellowDramatic in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 11:03 AM
  3. Thanks for the support all! finally got my new road bike!
    By ex2k4 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 07:41 PM
  4. Finally Got it...1st Road Bike
    By stunzeed in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
  5. Finally got a road bike!
    By BMF136 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.