Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    Probably... to a point, what I'm highlighting is that a lot of people pend a lot of money on bikes, and sometimes needlessly.
    Agreed! In general, more money generally gets you the same frame with more expensive components which are lighter. It's a law of diminishing returns like most other products with different price levels.

I own 7 bikes and have never spent more than $2,200 on a bike. Personally, I believe anything above $3,000 is nothing more than bling and ridiculously light weight, but that's just me.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I just bought a carbon fiber Canyon Endurace with Ultegra and a Cannondale CAAD12 with 105 this past year (the Cannondale is stored in California for rides during family visits).

I think the aluminum Canyon is simply a better bike at a better price point. Ultegra shifting and braking is flawless and effortless. On my Cannondale, 105 shifting isn't as smooth and the rear brake action seems rough. Maybe the bikeshop that assembled the Cannondale didn't do a good job building the bike, but I took it in for adjustments after a few hundred miles and it still isn't nearly as smooth or precise as the Ultegra. Still, the CAAD with 105 is a good bike at a good price (1600 USD). Also wondering if the cables need to seat down before they become smoother.

If you buy the Canyon and upgrade wheelsets in the future, you will be able to swap out wheelsets pretty easily and you can keep the Mavics as a back-up set of wheels. I keep stock wheels for riding in bad weather, but that may not be an issue in Qatar. If you buy the Trek and upgrade the groupset, not much you can do with those components besides sell them.

I think you would have a nice, responsive bike with a good set of wheels on Canyon. If you upgrade the Trek's groupset, you're not going to get any performance boost in how the bike handles.

I also think Canyon's build quality and customer support is better than the big brands. I would most likely hang onto the aluminum Canyon as a back-up bike if I decided to get a better bike in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    I just bought a carbon fiber Canyon Endurace with Ultegra and a Cannondale CAAD12 with 105 this past year (the Cannondale is stored in California for rides during family visits).

I think the aluminum Canyon is simply a better bike at a better price point. Ultegra shifting and braking is flawless and effortless. On my Cannondale, 105 shifting isn't as smooth and the rear brake action seems rough. Maybe the bikeshop that assembled the Cannondale didn't do a good job building the bike, but I took it in for adjustments after a few hundred miles and it still isn't nearly as smooth or precise as the Ultegra. Still, the CAAD with 105 is a good bike at a good price (1600 USD). Also wondering if the cables need to seat down before they become smoother.

If you buy the Canyon and upgrade wheelsets in the future, you will be able to swap out wheelsets pretty easily and you can keep the Mavics as a back-up set of wheels. I keep stock wheels for riding in bad weather, but that may not be an issue in Qatar. If you buy the Trek and upgrade the groupset, not much you can do with those components besides sell them.

I think you would have a nice, responsive bike with a good set of wheels on Canyon. If you upgrade the Trek's groupset, you're not going to get any performance boost in how the bike handles.

I also think Canyon's build quality and customer support is better than the big brands. I would most likely hang onto the aluminum Canyon as a back-up bike if I decided to get a better bike in the future.
    I am guessing that your shifting in the 105 CAAD not being as smooth has most to do with cables. It may have come with the cheaper galvanized cables. Run your finger along one of the shifter cables. If you get a grey line, they are probably galvanized cables. Replacing them with a quality set of stainless steel cables could make a world of difference.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am guessing that your shifting in the 105 CAAD not being as smooth has most to do with cables. It may have come with the cheaper galvanized cables. Run your finger along one of the shifter cables. If you get a grey line, they are probably galvanized cables. Replacing them with a quality set of stainless steel cables could make a world of difference.
    Thanks for the advice. I thought it could be the routing, but cable quality sounds more likely. It makes sense, as don’t think difference in groupsets would be that pronounced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I thought it could be the routing, but cable quality sounds more likely. It makes sense, as don’t think difference in groupsets would be that pronounced.
    The only real difference between 105 and Ultegra is a little weight. I have both and they both shift flawlessly.

Cables are everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12