Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Got my computer- now seeking other recommendations

594 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  s2ktaxi 
#1 ·
Thanks for the info on my earlier post on getting a computer. I ended up with the Cateye Astrale 8 and so far very satisfied with it.

I am now seeking recommendations on the following:

Locks- everywhere I read indicatates cables are useless and definitely get a U-type lock. Today I saw a guy with a handcuff type lock. Anyone with experiences with certain type/ brand?

Pedals and shoes- are there pedals and shoes out there for casual/recreational riding? I'm not a racing type but want to commute to work and run errands more often with the bike. Therefore I want shoes with treads, like mountain biking shoes, that'll enable me to walk around easier. All the road shoes I've seen so far doesn't have much of a sole. Should I go with mtn bike shoes or would that be a big no-no? Salespeople keep pushing for Sidis and other high end shoes, talking about the capabilities.

Once again, thanks in advance.

#2 ·
madhattaz said:
Pedals and shoes- are there pedals and shoes out there for casual/recreational riding? I'm not a racing type but want to commute to work and run errands more often with the bike. Therefore I want shoes with treads, like mountain biking shoes, that'll enable me to walk around easier. All the road shoes I've seen so far doesn't have much of a sole. Should I go with mtn bike shoes or would that be a big no-no? Salespeople keep pushing for Sidis and other high end shoes, talking about the capabilities.

Once again, thanks in advance.
I ride with mtn bike pedal and shoes. I'm currently using eggbeater and pair of Specialized mtn sport shoe. The shoes are pretty stiff but still very walkable. With four-way entry the eggs are very easy to get in and out of.

#3 ·
Your choice of lock depends in where you lock it and for how long. In my opinion, you shouldn't plan to leave a good bike out of your sight anywhere except inside your home, car, garage, or office. For all other situations, ride a cheap bike and use any old $20 lock.

I agree that most recreational riders should probably be using mountain bike shoes.

#4 ·
I found a great pair of "hybrid" shoes - Shimano MT500 which I believe is a touring shoe. It has a rubber sole with a stiff core that makes it almost as stiff as a road shoe but has enough grip to walk up and down stairs. Paired with SPD style cleats (I use the Performance Forte Pro Mg Ti), it's great for walking around it and is stiff enough for biking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.