Group Riding Question
    Hold on I'm watching this

Question Group Riding Question

In the US, when riding in groups, do most people use Miles Per Hour or Kilometers Per Hour as the odometer setting on their cycle computers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I use MPH...

Trek Rental Agent
    MPH although a lot of guys will say Kilos and generally be wrong in their conversion although KPH does sound more "Euro".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    If you are planning to do a ride which involves a cue sheet, all the ones I have seen are in miles, so unless you like multiplying by 1.6 a lot, I would use miles.

Thanks, MPH worked for me today during my first ever 100 mile race. I made it 40 miles and got cramps in both legs, struggled through to 94 miles and had to drop out.

The ride back in the grimm sweeper was worse then had I just kept chugging along.

I am happy with my results given my total newb status.

I think I drank to much water and flushed my electrolytes out, plus I am fat and out of shape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just go by MPH. You're plainly in a country running that unit of speed, counting distance by miles if not feet. In one of George Hincapie's interviews he mentioned his average training speed in kilometers, most likely because he's riding in Europe a lot and has a team dominantly reading metric.

Too bad you couldn't squeeze those last 6 miles, but if you were cramping up at 40 miles you stretched your will pretty far. Definitely nice results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    Too bad you couldn't squeeze those last 6 miles, but if you were cramping up at 40 miles you stretched your will pretty far. Definitely nice results.
    Thanks, the race was actually 112 miles, If I hadn't cramped up early, and had to ride solo might of made it. After the cramps I was only averaging 14 MPH and the wind was really bad.

I am glad I tried it, now I have an established base line, and I got some good experience riding in a pelaton with experienced riders.